Author Topic: Alcohol and muscle growth  (Read 3998 times)

Condor

• Getbig IV
  • Work Hard, Play Hard
Alcohol and muscle growth
« on: December 01, 2005, 10:19:33 AM »
To what extent does the use of alcohol limit the growth of muscle?

Does a weekend partier need to be worried about losses? 

250Ben250

• Getbig III
  • skinman approved.
Re: Alcohol and muscle growth
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2005, 12:29:39 PM »
yes and no. The best way to think of it is - even if the nutritional impact, or lack thereof, from a 6-8 hour binge on a sat. night isn't all that bad in the big scheme of things; chances are the next 1-2 days you're not giving your workouts everything you've got, if you even make it to work out the next day in the first place.

If you spend every Sat. night at the bar, then every Sun on the couch recovering, that's another 52 workouts you would have had that year. I don't know about you but I think there's a lot of room for progress over 52 workouts.

trulytoned

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2005, 06:20:34 PM »
Arent  I glad Sunday is my off day
big or bust

PhoenixBuff

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2005, 09:00:30 PM »

Question...if you spend even a small amount of time here and know a little something about bodybuilding/weightlifting, why on earth would you put that poison in your body to begin with?  Read Ben's post, 52 workouts you are missing a year!

Condor

• Getbig IV
  • Work Hard, Play Hard
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2005, 03:55:46 AM »
Question...if you spend even a small amount of time here and know a little something about bodybuilding/weightlifting, why on earth would you put that poison in your body to begin with?  Read Ben's post, 52 workouts you are missing a year!

thanks for the reply Ben, and to Phoenix, I was a hard drinker way before I was a bodybuilder.

250Ben250

• Getbig III
  • skinman approved.
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2005, 08:02:06 AM »
Do you get your liver enzymes checked out during a routine physical?? Just a thought, a guy at the suppl. store I work at has liver disease from years of being overweight and drinking (he's come a long way though, he's lean and about 210 right now), and there's a lot of supps. he has to be careful with

suckmymuscle

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2005, 09:23:37 AM »

Well, alcohol is a very potent suppressor of testosterone, besides increasing it's aromatization, in the liver. It also flushes out several B complex vitamins from the body, and also minerals. Finally, at really high levels, alcohol destroys both brain cells and type 2 muscle fibers. Not good, at all.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

Condor

• Getbig IV
  • Work Hard, Play Hard
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2005, 09:29:55 AM »
I knew about the testosterone, but I wasn't sure to what effect it really hurt you.  I mean, Arnold has talked about back in the day when they used to drink Whiskey WHILE they were training, not sure if that's true, but I do know that those guys did party quite a bit....didn't seem to hurt anything too much.

suckmymuscle

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2005, 09:47:49 AM »
I knew about the testosterone, but I wasn't sure to what effect it really hurt you.  I mean, Arnold has talked about back in the day when they used to drink Whiskey WHILE they were training, not sure if that's true, but I do know that those guys did party quite a bit....didn't seem to hurt anything too much.

You're obiously a big boozer, ho wants validation to your lifestyle. Sorry, but regular ingestion of alcohol, will certainly hurt your bodybuilding efforts. Arnold used to say all kind og outrageous things, to draw attention to bodybuilding. He has admitted to it, himself.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

muscle19

• Getbig IV
  • Lifes To Short To Be Small!!!
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2005, 11:51:22 AM »
if u are not competing and only doing bb as a hoppy, then go out every weekend have ur fun.now if u r really serious about bb and getting bigger, alcohol will have a impact on just that but that doesnt mean u will not grow while going out during the weekends, just make sure ur diet is good during the week and get all workouts done before the weekend so u can use that sunday to lay around and recover for monday.

muscle
muscle

gmflex

• Getbig V
  • The Empire lives...you rebel scum!!!
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2005, 05:10:33 PM »
I drank two days ago at one of the local strip clubs....
and it was worth it..... ;D

Bear03

• Getbig IV
  • back in the swing of things
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2005, 07:59:30 PM »
I prefer to have my fun.  I like working out, i like drinking from time to time.  I'll quit once i graduate. 
:-)

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2005, 10:03:18 PM »
  Well, alcohol is a very potent suppressor of testosterone, besides increasing it's aromatization, in the liver. It also flushes out several B complex vitamins from the body, and also minerals. Finally, at really high levels, alcohol destroys both brain cells and type 2 muscle fibers. Not good, at all.

SUCKMYMUSCLE
Good post!  Something else to add though... I have been told that 4oz of alcohol causes your metabolism to slow down to where it takes 72 hours for it to reach it's previous level before the alcohol was consumed.  Now what you already said before is enough to stay away from alcohol, but just curios if this last bit has any validity.

muscle19

• Getbig IV
  • Lifes To Short To Be Small!!!
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2005, 06:20:09 PM »
at the same time people like t o party, not saying to do it everyday but once a wk will not do too much and im living proof and i know tons of poeple that do drink and look great, not abercrombie model build but "built", i know there are alot of negativities to drinkin on how it reacts with the body but life is too short and if u want to drink and r not a competetive bb, go for it.

muscle
muscle

Loomis

• Getbig III
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2005, 12:17:07 PM »
You can't be a drunk and a bodybuilder. Period. You can drink socially if you can control yourself and not over-do it.

Bear03

• Getbig IV
  • back in the swing of things
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2005, 01:20:08 PM »
You can't be a drunk and a bodybuilder. Period. You can drink socially if you can control yourself and not over-do it.

You can also get drunk from time to time and maintain a superior physique.  Granted, this physique won't make you money as a bodybuilder....but the question you have to ask yourself is, was it really going to anyways? 

I dunno, sorry if i'm being an ass, but i'm currently on the "love lifting, feels good to eat healthy, but live/love your life" philosophy train- and i hope to stay on it.
:-)

Loomis

• Getbig III
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2005, 08:50:28 PM »
You can also get drunk from time to time and maintain a superior physique.  Granted, this physique won't make you money as a bodybuilder....but the question you have to ask yourself is, was it really going to anyways? 

I dunno, sorry if i'm being an ass, but i'm currently on the "love lifting, feels good to eat healthy, but live/love your life" philosophy train- and i hope to stay on it.
I agree 100% bro. My problem is with people that stay out drunk every night until 2 and wonder why they don't make any gains. ::)