Author Topic: EINSTEIN'S BRAIN REVEALS CLUES TO GENIUS  (Read 6117 times)

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
EINSTEIN'S BRAIN REVEALS CLUES TO GENIUS
« on: November 22, 2012, 10:50:17 AM »
This makes me wonder how the brain of getbiggers are formed. If Einstein had thicker grey matter which causeD his high intelligence, then getbiggers grey matters must be so thick, it is oozing out of their ears.

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2012/11/19/einstein-brain-reveals-clues-to-genius/

Einstein's brain had extraordinary folding patterns in several regions, which may help explain his genius, newly uncovered photographs suggest.

The photographs, published Nov. 16 in the journal Brain, reveal that the brilliant physicist had extra folding in his brain's gray matter, the site of conscious thinking. In particular, the frontal lobes, regions tied to abstract thought and planning, had unusually elaborate folding, analysis suggests.

"It's a really sophisticated part of the human brain," said Dean Falk, study co-author and an anthropologist at Florida State University, referring to gray matter. "And [Einstein's] is extraordinary."

Albert Einstein was the most famous physicist of the 20th century; his groundbreaking theory of general relativity explained how light curves due to the warping of space-time.

When the scientist died in 1955 at age 76, Thomas Harvey, the pathologist who autopsied him, took out Einstein's brain and kept it. Harvey sliced hundreds of thin sections of brain tissue to place on microscope slides and also snapped 14 photos of the brain from several angles.

Harvey presented some of the slides, but kept the photos secret in order to write a book about the physicist's brain.

The pathologist died before finishing his book, however, and the photos remained hidden for decades. But in 2010, after striking up a friendship with one of the new study's co-authors, Harvey's family donated the photos to the National Museum of Health and Medicine in Washington, D.C. Falk's team began analyzing the photos in 2011. [See Photos of Einstein's Brain]

The team found that, overall, Eintsein's brain had much more complicated folding across the cerebral cortex, which is the gray matter on the surface of the brain responsible for conscious thought. In general, thicker gray matter is tied to higher IQs.

Many scientists believe that more folds can create extra surface area for mental processing, allowing more connections between brain cells, Falk said. With more connections between distant parts of the brain, one would be able to make, in a sense, mental leaps, drawing upon these faraway brain cells to solve some cognitive problem.

The prefrontal cortex, which plays a key role in abstract thought, making predictions and planning, also had an unusually elaborate folding pattern in Einstein's brain.

That may have helped the physicist develop the theory of relativity. "He did thought experiments where he'd imagine himself riding alongside a beam of light, and this is exactly the part of the brain one would expect to be very active" in such thought experiments, Falk told LiveScience.

In addition, Einstein's occipital lobes, which perform visual processing, showed extra folds and creases.

The right and left parietal lobes also looked very asymmetrical, Falk said. It's not clear how those features contributed to Einstein's genius, but that brain region is key for spatial tasks and mathematical reasoning, Falk said.

The jury is still out on whether Einstein's brain was extraordinary from birth or whether years of pondering physics made it special.

Falk believes both played a role.

"It was both nature and nurture," she said. "He was born with a very good brain, and he had the kinds of experiences that allowed him to develop the potential he had."

But most of Einstein's raw ability probably came from a trick of nature rather than a lifetime of hard work, said Sandra Witelson, of the Michael G. De Groot School of Medicine at McMasters University who has done past studies of Einstein's brain. In 1999, her work revealed that Einstein's right parietal lobe had an extra fold, something that was either hardwired into his genes or happened while Einstein was still in the womb.

"It's not just that it's bigger or smaller, it's that the actual pattern is different," Witselson said. "His anatomy is unique compared to every other photograph or drawing of a human brain that has ever been recorded."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/science/2012/11/19/einstein-brain-reveals-clues-to-genius/#ixzz2Cyjk8xIa
X

Anglo

• Getbig IV
Re: EINSTEIN'S BRAIN REVEALS CLUES TO GENIUS
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2012, 10:52:02 AM »

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2012, 10:53:11 AM »

That is wonderful. Take away the slave labor and commute, most people would still not be as smart as Einstein.
X

Tito24

• Getbig V
  • I'm a large man but.. one with a plan
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2012, 10:57:33 AM »

CARTEL

• Getbig V
  • Have a good time, all the time.
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2012, 10:58:06 AM »
So basically he was just a lucky genetic freak.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2012, 10:58:29 AM »

Coach is going to meltdown about this.  :-\ :-\
X

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2012, 10:59:06 AM »
So basically he was just a lucky genetic freak.

ha, yes. But aren't most gifted people? Even amazing athletes.

Are we slaves to our genetics?  :-\ :-\
X

Tito24

• Getbig V
  • I'm a large man but.. one with a plan
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2012, 11:00:12 AM »

maybe coach is smarter than einstein?

snx

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2012, 11:01:58 AM »

Metabolic

• Getbig IV
  • Team I Fucked Her Face
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2012, 11:02:46 AM »
Any genetical difference between humans is marginal in every aspect.  Stop creating false idols.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2012, 11:03:30 AM »
maybe coach is smarter than einstein?

Coach has indepth knowledge about the republican party. Definitely places him above einstein.

I wonder how much einstein benched. I wonder if it was more than Coach.
X

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2012, 11:07:23 AM »
TESLA was better.

RadOncDoc

• Getbig II
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2012, 11:13:09 AM »
ha, yes. But aren't most gifted people? Even amazing athletes.

Are we slaves to our genetics?  :-\ :-\

Bingo. It's all genetics.  “There is no firm reason to anticipate that the intellectual capacities of peoples geographically separated in their evolution should prove to have evolved identically. Our wanting to reserve equal powers of reason as some universal heritage of humanity will not be enough to make it so.”

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2012, 11:15:51 AM »
Any genetical difference between humans is marginal in every aspect.  Stop creating false idols.

What do you mean by marginal? 

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2012, 11:21:25 AM »

I highly doubt genetic differences are marginal. I would like evidence of this.
X

Metabolic

• Getbig IV
  • Team I Fucked Her Face
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2012, 11:22:05 AM »

Human beings are not all genetically equal (obviously).  These genetical differences have a marginal determination on what you "are" in the holistic sense of being.  What you do, your personality, what you accomplish in life, where you stand, where you are going, is all determined by practically infinite factors (one of them genetics, others like "will" which is controllable, others are uncontrollable like "luck").

Determinism might be true in an epistemological level, but, like Peter Strawson said, whether freedom exists or not does not matter, at the end of the day, we still are rational conscious beings that will be held responsible for their actions wether you are in fact determined or not.

IE: "No, your honor, I cannot be sentenced to 20 years in prison and must go free, for I am completely determined by my genetics", think about that.

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2012, 11:23:27 AM »
Human beings are not all genetically equal (obviously).  These genetical differences have a marginal determination on what you "are" in the holistic sense of being.  What you do, your personality, what you accomplish in life, where you stand, where you are going, is all determined by practically infinite factors (one of them genetics, others like "will" which is controllable, others are uncontrollable like "luck").

Determinism might be true in an epistemological level, but, like Peter Strawson said, whether freedom exists or not does not matter, at the end of the day, we still are rational conscious beings that will be held responsible for their actions wether you are in fact determined or not.

IE: "No, your honor, I cannot be sentenced to 20 years in prison and must go free, for I am completely determined by my genetics", think about that.

::)

Metabolic

• Getbig IV
  • Team I Fucked Her Face
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2012, 11:27:16 AM »
I highly doubt genetic differences are marginal. I would like evidence of this.

Oh really? What makes a runner faster at the end of the day? Training and Drugs, What makes an olympic lifter better at the end of the day? Training and drugs, what makes a better philosopher or scientist at the end of the day? traininig (reading) and well, million other factors.

You can be genetically suited for certain activities, physical or intellectual, but at the end of the day, what will make you the "best" is absolutely not your genetic, but your volition and well, a million other factors which we can never know.

If it was as simple as genetic, everyone would end being the best at what they do and there wouldnt be any competition or training since all you need is genetics...

Metabolic

• Getbig IV
  • Team I Fucked Her Face
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2012, 11:28:22 AM »
::)

Care to present a rebuttal? I dont care if its just through examples or logical constructions

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2012, 11:31:06 AM »

I am Christian and while I often fail at my faith (and it would be a lie to say otherwise)  I personally find not offense in Einstein's words as presented in this video.

When you get right down to it, nobody knows what awaits us upon our death.  Only the dead know and they are not talking.

Happy Thanksgiving!

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2012, 11:36:42 AM »
Oh really? What makes a runner faster at the end of the day? Training and Drugs, What makes an olympic lifter better at the end of the day? Training and drugs, what makes a better philosopher or scientist at the end of the day? traininig (reading) and well, million other factors.

You can be genetically suited for certain activities, physical or intellectual, but at the end of the day, what will make you the "best" is absolutely not your genetic, but your volition and well, a million other factors which we can never know.

If it was as simple as genetic, everyone would end being the best at what they do and there wouldnt be any competition or training since all you need is genetics...

Wow, yes, you are brilliant. You're saying what every other scientists has said. Most development is contingent upon a relationship between genetics and environment. This is obvious. One or the other does not necessarily cause someone to be gifted. More of an intersection between the two factors.
X

Metabolic

• Getbig IV
  • Team I Fucked Her Face
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2012, 11:38:48 AM »
Wow, yes, you are brilliant. You're saying what every other scientists has said. Most development is contingent upon a relationship between genetics and environment. This is obvious. One or the other does not necessarily cause someone to be gifted. More of an intersection between the two factors.

I am saying more than that, in even simpler terms genetic is "1%" of what makes you what you are.  And your post reeks of determinism so that you concede the envoironmental factors play a big part on existance is not precisely being consecuent.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2012, 11:46:26 AM »
I am saying more than that, in even simpler terms genetic is "1%" of what makes you what you are.  And your post reeks of determinism so that you concede the envoironmental factors play a big part on existance is not precisely being consecuent.

Determinism? Possibly. I am a strong proponent that environment and genetics contributes to who we are, though I obviously leave room for free will.
X

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2012, 01:25:43 PM »
Yes He does.

Sincerely,

PS - I need a better PR man.

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2012, 01:46:06 PM »

1%, whence came this figure?