Author Topic: FL GOP leaders say voter suppression was reason they pushed new election laws  (Read 3331 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
It was obvious why Rick Scott pushed for reduction in early voting - in 2008, it helped Dems/obama in a huge way.

HOWEVER, I live in a huge mccain/romney county in south florida, and I can definitely tell you I know SO MANY people who were completely set on voting AGAINST OBama, who got so damn tired of the long lins, and didn't bother staying to vote.  It was an average of 3 hours, on a rainy day, and old people got out of line.

Now we have actual repubs admitting they cut the hours to reduce voting - no longer disputed.

Former Florida GOP leaders say voter suppression was reason they pushed new election l
 Source: Palm Beach Post

A new Florida law that contributed to long voter lines and caused some to abandon voting altogether was intentionally designed by Florida GOP staff and consultants to inhibit Democratic voters, former GOP officials and current GOP consultants have told The Palm Beach Post.

Republican leaders said in proposing the law that it was meant to save money and fight voter fraud. But a former GOP chairman and former Gov. Charlie Crist, both of whom have been ousted from the party, now say that fraud concerns were advanced only as subterfuge for the law’s main purpose: GOP victory.

Former Republican Party of Florida Chairman Jim Greer says he attended various meetings, beginning in 2009, at which party staffers and consultants pushed for reductions in early voting days and hours.

“The Republican Party, the strategists, the consultants, they firmly believe that early voting is bad for Republican Party candidates,” Greer told The Post. “It’s done for one reason and one reason only. … ‘We’ve got to cut down on early voting because early voting is not good for us,’ ” Greer said he was told by those staffers and consultants.

Read more: http://m.palmbeachpost.com/news/news/state-regional-govt-politics/early-voting-curbs-called-power-play/nTFDy/

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
Man I hate politicians.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
without the 3 to 7 hour lines - I really do think Romney wins Florida.

I mean, enthusiam for obama was thru the FLOOR.  I was shocked on election day how many of my friend (that live and act very liberal in all they do) were going to go vote Romney in order to change things.  People who loved obama had abandoned him.

Sean hannity bitched about ft myers, FL on the air on election day - he was 100% right - people couldn't vote here... lines were hours long in the rain, all day long.  In 2008, it was MUCH MUCH faster to vote.

I know 7 or 8 people who got out of line because they had work, kids, or other demands.  Old people couldn't wait in rain 3 hours in the morning.  Small biz owners couldn't give up 5 hours of their work day to stand in line. 

I hope this voter suppression thing goes away - cause RIck Scott worked VERY hard to limit available polls and hours - and wow that shit sure backfired on Romney.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
Repubs are a bunch of pussies who give up and go home as soon as they start to get uncomfortable and Dems will stand in line as long as it takes to cast their vote

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
It was obvious why Rick Scott pushed for reduction in early voting - in 2008, it helped Dems/obama in a huge way.

HOWEVER, I live in a huge mccain/romney county in south florida, and I can definitely tell you I know SO MANY people who were completely set on voting AGAINST OBama, who got so damn tired of the long lins, and didn't bother staying to vote.  It was an average of 3 hours, on a rainy day, and old people got out of line.

Now we have actual repubs admitting they cut the hours to reduce voting - no longer disputed.

Former Florida GOP leaders say voter suppression was reason they pushed new election l
 Source: Palm Beach Post

A new Florida law that contributed to long voter lines and caused some to abandon voting altogether was intentionally designed by Florida GOP staff and consultants to inhibit Democratic voters, former GOP officials and current GOP consultants have told The Palm Beach Post.

Republican leaders said in proposing the law that it was meant to save money and fight voter fraud. But a former GOP chairman and former Gov. Charlie Crist, both of whom have been ousted from the party, now say that fraud concerns were advanced only as subterfuge for the law’s main purpose: GOP victory.

Former Republican Party of Florida Chairman Jim Greer says he attended various meetings, beginning in 2009, at which party staffers and consultants pushed for reductions in early voting days and hours.

“The Republican Party, the strategists, the consultants, they firmly believe that early voting is bad for Republican Party candidates,” Greer told The Post. “It’s done for one reason and one reason only. … ‘We’ve got to cut down on early voting because early voting is not good for us,’ ” Greer said he was told by those staffers and consultants.

Read more: http://m.palmbeachpost.com/news/news/state-regional-govt-politics/early-voting-curbs-called-power-play/nTFDy/

There's a reason we have ELECTION DAY, not election week or election month.

240 is Back

• Getbig V

and obama won as a result. 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana

we actually do have elections weeks and month since many states have early voting and all states allow to vote by mail

your side lost because your message sucked, your candidate sucked and your party and it's voters suck

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
we actually do have elections weeks and month since many states have early voting and all states allow to vote by mail

your side lost because your message sucked, your candidate sucked and your party and it's voters suck

I'd say you're one for three. Then again, the message of personal responsibility would suck for people, who blame others for their lot in life.

The message of self-reliance does suck to people who think they can't get ahead, unless they take someone else's money and that they're entitled to stuff, just for breathing.

Small, limited government does suck to people who think government should take care of them from cradle to grave.

But, of course, when Obama's policies fail AGAIN, as they did before, it won't be his fault. He and his supporters will simply find other scapegoats.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
I'd say you're one for three. Then again, the message of personal responsibility would suck for people, who blame others for their lot in life.

The message of self-reliance does suck to people who think they can't get ahead, unless they take someone else's money and that they're entitled to stuff, just for breathing.

Small, limited government does suck to people who think government should take care of them from cradle to grave.

But, of course, when Obama's policies fail AGAIN, as they did before, it won't be his fault. He and his supporters will simply find other scapegoats.

your side lost badly

if you want to keep the same playbook for the next election I think that would be great

what was the that quote by Einstein  about insanity ?

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Repubs are a bunch of pussies who give up and go home as soon as they start to get uncomfortable and Dems will stand in line as long as it takes to cast their vote

Republicans are lazy voters.

They also recieve the most welfare stealing from us tax payers.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana

They also receive the most welfare stealing from us tax payers.

exactly why they have to utilize classic Orwellian projection of accusing their opponents of the thing for which they themselves are the most guilty

to be totally fair to Repubs though, most are just too stupid to even know this or understand it

they really believe the lies they tell

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.

I tried to find the link to this on the board, but missed it.  Do you have it?

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V

your side lost badly

if you want to keep the same playbook for the next election I think that would be great

what was the that quote by Einstein  about insanity ?

exactly why they have to utilize classic Orwellian projection of accusing their opponents of the thing for which they themselves are the most guilty

to be totally fair to Repubs though, most are just too stupid to even know this or understand it

Dude's tearing it up today.

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
I tried to find the link to this on the board, but missed it.  Do you have it?

There is hundreds of articles on it just google :)

But here is one:

http://articles.businessinsider.com/2011-08-18/politics/30039546_1_blue-states-federal-taxes-red-states

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!

The red states vs blue state welfare issue is all over the web so we cant say its because they dont have access to the info.

You are right they must be stupid.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
The red states vs blue state welfare issue is all over the web so we cant say its because they dont have access to the info.

Yet, who are the recipients of all this welfare? Low-income voters.

And for whom do low-income voters cast their ballot? DEMOCRATS.

All those numbers mean is that the welfare recipients (Democrat voters) in red states are outnumbered, which doesn't seem to be the case in blue states.

Not to mention....

http://www.statemaster.com/graph/eco_wel_cas_tot_rec_percap-caseloads-total-recipients-per-capita

And,

If you look at actual welfare spending by case load or per capita the numbers tell a slightly different story than the liberal federalist would like.

Welfare caseloads per capita

Top five states per capita - DC, Guam, Rhode Island, Tenn. and Kalifornia. Hmmmmm things are not what they seem.

Total case load becomes - California, New York, Texas, Penn. Michigan - In that order

As I said an entirely different picture is it not?

So whenever someone tells you Red States receive more money from the Federal government than Blue States remind them that it is the Federal government that decides how much those Red States get to keep in the first place and since they take more from the Red States they have to give more back.

http://smallhold-pioneerpreppy.blogspot.com/2012/11/the-myth-of-red-state-welfare.html

Perhaps, you mean Democrats in Republican states.

Look at the voting patterns of those who make under 50K and those who make over 50K.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana

well to be fair you can't expect much from a group of people who believe in talking snakes, virgin births and that the world is 6000 years old

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
well to be fair you can't expect much from a group of people who believe in talking snakes, virgin births and that the world is 6000 years old

You voted for a guy who said he'd keep unemployment under 8% and cut the deficit in half by his first term. He failed miserably at both. Yet, you voted from him again.

What was that you were saying about insanity?

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
You voted for a guy who said he'd keep unemployment under 8% and cut the deficit in half by his first term. He failed miserably at both. Yet, you voted from him again.

unemployment is under 8% and he has cut the deficit every year since his first year in office (which was when he was still operating under a Bush budget and when he had a 1.2 trillion deficit before he even took office....oh yeah and when GDP was cratering so bad we didn't even know how bad it actually was in 2009 until almost a year later)

I'm sure Repubs will never stop believing the nonsense you regurgitate on this board

As a group, their mental and emotional state is very fragile and it's probably better for the rest of us if they continue to live in delusion and denial

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Yet, who are the recipients of all this welfare? Low-income voters.

And for whom do low-income voters cast their ballot? DEMOCRATS.

All those numbers mean is that the welfare recipients (Democrat voters) in red states are outnumbered, which doesn't seem to be the case in blue states.

Not to mention....

http://www.statemaster.com/graph/eco_wel_cas_tot_rec_percap-caseloads-total-recipients-per-capita

And,

If you look at actual welfare spending by case load or per capita the numbers tell a slightly different story than the liberal federalist would like.

Welfare caseloads per capita

Top five states per capita - DC, Guam, Rhode Island, Tenn. and Kalifornia. Hmmmmm things are not what they seem.

Total case load becomes - California, New York, Texas, Penn. Michigan - In that order

As I said an entirely different picture is it not?

So whenever someone tells you Red States receive more money from the Federal government than Blue States remind them that it is the Federal government that decides how much those Red States get to keep in the first place and since they take more from the Red States they have to give more back.

http://smallhold-pioneerpreppy.blogspot.com/2012/11/the-myth-of-red-state-welfare.html

Perhaps, you mean Democrats in Republican states.

Look at the voting patterns of those who make under 50K and those who make over 50K.

Yes its the many dem voters in red states that is to blame for this ::)

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!

Lol you believe in the promises of politicians?

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
Yes its the many dem voters in red states that is to blame for this ::)

That's what I don't get.  The poorest states with the highest rate of high school drop outs, lack of college degrees, teen births, etc...  are red conservative states.  How the hell are Dems voting as the majority in those states?

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
That's what I don't get.  The poorest states with the highest rate of high school drop outs, lack of college degrees, teen births, etc...  are red conservative states.  How the hell are Dems voting as the majority in those states?

And those are the same people who think they have some god given moral authority to tell everyone else how to live their life

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!

It only makes sense in Mcway's world.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!

Don't take my word for it. Look at the stats from the last three elections. Those without a high school degree go democrat. Most single women (with or without kids) go Democrat.

Check the link I cited earlier.

Lol you believe in the promises of politicians?

Apparently, so do you. But, as long as he merely promises a certain result without actually delivering such, he's worthy of your vote.