Author Topic: Raw Eggs - Again...  (Read 6198 times)

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
Re: Raw Eggs - Again...
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2012, 08:04:02 PM »
It was Bob. What he posted were the claims of the egg white company he represented, namely that their pasteurization 'neutralized' the avidin.  It was a false claim made to sell their product.  I honestly don't think Bob knew any better.  He was just trying to be a good rep for the company, but the company shouldn't have been pitching their product with false claims in print on their website.

I confirmed the ability of avidin to retain its biotin affinity beyond pasteurization temperature with a few sources, most notably a dude at the University of Nebraska who specialized in egg pasteurization.  He confirmed that the company's process was sufficient to kill salmonella but would have no effect on avidin.  I can't supply his reply email, however, since the email account I used is now defunct.

The bottom line is that egg proteins, including avidin, retain their structure and properties until heated to a temperature at which they denature and coagulate, like when eggs scramble.  Basically, if it's not a cooked egg then the avidin problem remains.

I let it go at the time because Bob was just trying to make a living and I didn't want him to lose his contract.  The company was making a bullshit claim though, and I probably should have taken them to task for it without involving Chick.

Cool, very helpful!

I remember that, I thought everyone agreed though that the biotin in the raw yolk made up for that?

Maybe I'm weird, but I can down six or eight raw eggs in about four gulps.  Vs. getting out a pan, heating up the stove, getting cooking spray out, cooking the fuckers and smelling that egg smell, getting a plate and a fork, eating them for 15 minutes, than washing dishes.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2012, 08:25:05 PM »
Cool, very helpful!

I remember that, I thought everyone agreed though that the biotin in the raw yolk made up for that?

As far as I know that's not the case.  The yolks will attenuate biotin deficit but not eliminate it.  There's not enough in the yolk.

It probably doesn't even bear thinking about unless you're chugging eggs throughout the day for an extended period and eating nutritionally void crap.  When's the last time you heard of someone who needed an emergency biotin infusion?  Be aware but I wouldn't sweat it.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2012, 08:39:16 PM »
As far as I know that's not the case.  The yolks will attenuate biotin deficit but not eliminate it.  There's not enough in the yolk.

It probably doesn't even bear thinking about unless you're chugging eggs throughout the day for an extended period and eating nutritionally void crap.  When's the last time you heard of someone who needed an emergency biotin infusion?  Be aware but I wouldn't sweat it.

haha, thanks!

I'm going to try and act like a decent person and just cook my eggs.  :(

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2012, 08:57:23 PM »
I pay 3.50 for a dozen natural, cage free chicken eggs. Where can you get a dozen for 1.50?

Most of the time, I get them straight from the farm.  Not as much in the winter because production goes down.  Anywhere from 1.25 to 2. 00/dozen.  The yolks are a bright golden orange and the shells are really hard.  Healthy chickens/eggs.

Aldi, sometimes they're only like $1.10.

These aren't organic/free range though.

Aldi's prices are always better than surrounding stores.  They've started to carry a few organic things.  Maybe eggs in the future  ?
:

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2012, 08:59:04 PM »
Aldi's prices are always better than surrounding stores.  They've started to carry a few organic things.  Maybe eggs in the future  ?

Thank you captain obvious!

;D

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2012, 09:02:19 PM »
It was Bob. What he posted were the claims of the egg white company he represented, namely that their pasteurization 'neutralized' the avidin.  It was a false claim made to sell their product.  I honestly don't think Bob knew any better.  He was just trying to be a good rep for the company, but the company shouldn't have been pitching their product with false claims in print on their website.

I confirmed the ability of avidin to retain its biotin affinity beyond pasteurization temperature with a few sources, most notably a dude at the University of Nebraska who specialized in egg pasteurization.  He confirmed that the company's process was sufficient to kill salmonella but would have no effect on avidin.  I can't supply his reply email, however, since the email account I used is now defunct.

The bottom line is that egg proteins, including avidin, retain their structure and properties until heated to a temperature at which they denature and coagulate, like when eggs scramble.  Basically, if it's not a cooked egg then the avidin problem remains.

I let it go at the time because Bob was just trying to make a living and I didn't want him to lose his contract.  The company was making a bullshit claim though, and I probably should have taken them to task for it without involving Chick.

FYI ~ sidenote:  Same issues apply to dogs re: raw eggs.
:

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2012, 02:17:37 AM »
FYI ~ sidenote:  Same issues apply to dogs re: raw eggs.

Every now and then we knock up a dozen for a weekend breakfast.  He likes them soft scrambled with hollandaise.  ;D

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2012, 06:53:57 AM »
Why would anyone want to eat raw eggs when you can cook them in a pan with no fat spray?

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2012, 10:33:49 AM »
Why would anyone want to eat raw eggs when you can cook them in a pan with no fat spray?

Maybe It's just me, but I find it 10x easier/ quicker to crack open 6 to 8 eggs, quickly stir them and drink them in about 5 gulps.  That takes 2 minutes.

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
  • my love for ronnie will never die
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2013, 10:43:53 AM »
is it true the bio availability of raw eggs is very low? and it's better to cook them

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2013, 10:51:57 AM »
Okay guys... Answer this for me

Raw eggs:

12 good quality eggs for $1.50, 72g protein in a dozen.

That's .69 Cents for 20g serving protein from raw eggs versus $1.20/20g serving of comparable egg protein powder.

As far as I know, you get a little bit less protein out of a raw egg (versus a cooked egg). Still not bad

Raw eggs have way more nutrients, minerals, etc than egg protein powder (it must?).

The chances of getting sick from raw eggs is suppose to be 1 in 30,000?

Eggs are the best source of protein, better than whey.

The white can caused a biotin deficiency, but the yolk makes up for that with its abundance of biotin?

You can quickly and easily down 20g of raw eggs, you have to mix up protein powder with milk or some other shitty drink and it taste like shit and takes forever to drink.

So why not get your protein from raw eggs?

???

I've been doing it for two weeks and it seems to be going very good.

Been there, done that! I called it "Poor Man's Met-Rx"!!

Vince Gironda, from the old school, used to recommend his clients drink a brew, made of a dozen eggs, half-n-half, and some yeast or protein powder.

I simply cut that in half, drinking one shake in the morning and (if neccesary) a second one before bed.

But, this was back in the 90s, when eggs were well under a dollar a dozen.

As far as getting sick goes, eggs (like other foods) only develop salmonella at the "danger zone". That is, between 40 and 140 degrees F.

Bacteria die in extreme heat or extreme cold. So, either cook your eggs or consume them ice cold. When I was in college, my roommate's mini-fridge would always freeze my eggs solid.

Above all, make sure you clean your blender THOROUGHLY. The one time I got sick was due to my not doing such and unknowingly leaving egg residue on the outside of my blender, which my mother noticed and about which my mother tried to warn me. Hot water, soap, and BLEACH will take care of any bacteria on your blender or any other utensils.

I don't do that any more, simply because it's too easy to get RTDs on clearance for less than the price of the protein in a dozen eggs.

epic_alien

« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2013, 11:29:28 AM »
Maybe It's just me, but I find it 10x easier/ quicker to crack open 6 to 8 eggs, quickly stir them and drink them in about 5 gulps.  That takes 2 minutes.

dont let these fools who are scared of raw eggs deter you from such a easy way to get protein in.. i ate 12 raw eggs,  6 morning/6 night  a day for a year . and moved from middleweight to light heavy. that extra 100 clean calories from the eggs made a difference.

i put them in a blender with orange juice, and when dieting mixed  them with v-8

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2013, 12:38:16 PM »
dont let these fools who are scared of raw eggs deter you from such a easy way to get protein in.. i ate 12 raw eggs,  6 morning/6 night  a day for a year . and moved from middleweight to light heavy. that extra 100 clean calories from the eggs made a difference.

i put them in a blender with orange juice, and when dieting mixed  them with v-8

V-8? YUCK!!!  :-X

Back in the day, I used them with milk and that cheap GNC Challenge Milk & Egg protein powder.

B_B_C

• Getbig IV
  • change is the lot of all
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2013, 02:27:07 PM »

You can quickly and easily down 20g of raw eggs,

it would be very eggsitable if they came up just as quick
but too much egg protein in one go means you'l be straining like a hen delivering an extra large load
c

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2013, 02:30:28 PM »
Okay guys... Answer this for me

Raw eggs:

12 good quality eggs for $1.50, 72g protein in a dozen.

That's .69 Cents for 20g serving protein from raw eggs versus $1.20/20g serving of comparable egg protein powder.

As far as I know, you get a little bit less protein out of a raw egg (versus a cooked egg). Still not bad

Raw eggs have way more nutrients, minerals, etc than egg protein powder (it must?).

The chances of getting sick from raw eggs is suppose to be 1 in 30,000?

Eggs are the best source of protein, better than whey.

The white can caused a biotin deficiency, but the yolk makes up for that with its abundance of biotin?

You can quickly and easily down 20g of raw eggs, you have to mix up protein powder with milk or some other shitty drink and it taste like shit and takes forever to drink.

So why not get your protein from raw eggs?

???

I've been doing it for two weeks and it seems to be going very good.

lol this kinda eating regemin is pure SHIT i was trying this back on 04
A

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2013, 03:38:38 PM »
lol this kinda eating regemin is pure SHIT i was trying this back on 04

Imn kind of going for that unhealthy look you use to have.

el numero uno

• Getbig V
  • Clean your room, bucko.
« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2013, 03:46:29 PM »
Diarrhea

B_B_C

• Getbig IV
  • change is the lot of all
« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2013, 04:10:23 PM »
is it true the availability of my balls is very high ? and it's better to cut them off
c

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2013, 04:22:24 PM »
Imn kind of going for that unhealthy look you use to have.
lol your gonna get psoriasis if you eat like that and or inflamed tonsils maybe youve already had dem taken out
A