Author Topic: Dem Rep. Hank Johnson: Amend Constitution to Restrict Freedom of Speech  (Read 4407 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Dem Rep. Hank Johnson: Amend Constitution to Restrict Freedom of Speech
 CNSNews.com ^ | Nov 29 2012 | Eric Scheiner

Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2012 1:44:38 PM

(CNSNews.com) - Rep. Hank Johnson (D-Ga.) says, “corporations control the patterns of thinking” in the United States and that the Bill of Rights to the Constitution should be amended so that the government is given the power to restrict freedom of speech.

"We need a constitutional amendment to allow the legislature to control the so-called free speech rights of corporations," said Johnson.

“These corporations, along with the people they support, other millionaires who they’re putting into office, are stealing your government. They’re stealing the government and the U.S. Supreme Court was a big enabler with the Citizens United case,” Johnson said at the Annesbrooks HOA candidate Forum in Georgia in October.

“They control the patterns of thinking," said Johnson. "They control the media. They control the messages that you get. So, you are being taught to hate your government--don’t want government, but keep your hands off of my Medicare by the way. I mean, we are all confused people and we’re poking fingers at each other saying, well you’re black, you’re Hispanic, immigration, homosexuals. You know, we’re lost on the social issues, abortion, contraception.

“And these folks," Johnson said, "are setting up a scenario where they’re privatizing every aspect of our lives as we know it. So, wake up! Wake up! Let’s look at what’s happening. We need a constitutional amendment to allow the legislature to control the so-called free speech rights of corporations.”

The U.S. Supreme Court ruling in Citizens United vs. Federal Elections Commission is that corporations have a right to freedom of speech, including the right to speak about politicians and federal officeholders during an election year.

magikusar

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • Team Ayn Rand
Re: Dem Rep. Hank Johnson: Amend Constitution to Restrict Freedom of Speech
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 12:24:18 PM »
Pic or it didn't happen.

Wonder how hank earns a living.

GigantorX

• Getbig V
  • GetBig's A-Team is the Light of Truth!
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 02:09:51 PM »
Corporations pouring money into elections = Bad

Public and Private Unions pouring money  into elections = No problem!

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 02:46:38 PM »
Corporations pouring money into elections = Bad

Public and Private Unions pouring money  into elections = No problem!

both are bad.   

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 03:54:45 PM »

(CNSNews.com) - Rep. Hank Johnson (D-Ga.) says, “corporations control the patterns of thinking” in the United States and that the Bill of Rights to the Constitution should be amended so that the government is given the power to restrict freedom of speech.

"We need a constitutional amendment to allow the legislature to control the so-called free speech rights of corporations," said Johnson.

“These corporations, along with the people they support, other millionaires who they’re putting into office, are stealing your government. They’re stealing the government and the U.S. Supreme Court was a big enabler with the Citizens United case,” Johnson said at the Annesbrooks HOA candidate Forum in Georgia in October.

“They control the patterns of thinking," said Johnson. "They control the media. They control the messages that you get. So, you are being taught to hate your government--don’t want government, but keep your hands off of my Medicare by the way. I mean, we are all confused people and we’re poking fingers at each other saying, well you’re black, you’re Hispanic, immigration, homosexuals. You know, we’re lost on the social issues, abortion, contraception.

“And these folks," Johnson said, "are setting up a scenario where they’re privatizing every aspect of our lives as we know it. So, wake up! Wake up! Let’s look at what’s happening. We need a constitutional amendment to allow the legislature to control the so-called free speech rights of corporations.”

The U.S. Supreme Court ruling in Citizens United vs. Federal Elections Commission is that corporations have a right to freedom of speech, including the right to speak about politicians and federal officeholders during an election year.

Corporations are not people and I see nothing wrong with this. Nice title though, not misleading at all.

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2012, 04:36:07 PM »
Corporations are not people and I see nothing wrong with this. Nice title though, not misleading at all.

It just opens the flood gates. I agree, I think that corporations aren't people and shouldn't be protected as such, but I see that once you start limiting aspects of free speech in one area, where does it stop?

Emmortal

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2012, 05:13:21 PM »
Notice how there's no call to restrict lobbying or dismantle the Chamber of Commerce.  Just political pandering that has zero effect on the root of the issues.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2012, 05:14:36 PM »
It just opens the flood gates. I agree, I think that corporations aren't people and shouldn't be protected as such, but I see that once you start limiting aspects of free speech in one area, where does it stop?
This. He makes good points but severely bad idea, and misguided.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2012, 06:12:01 PM »
the term "corporation" is just that - a term.   

"corporations" arent physical entities capable of making decisions and spending money. a "corporation" is a legal entity, and anything a corporation "does" is necessarily performed by PEOPLE.

thus, corporations dont speak. they dont contribute funds. PEOPLE DO. the people who run the corporation.

maybe if corporations were actual physical entities capable of making decisions and performing actions on their own and independant of human involvement would this be a legitamate issue.  but they arent.

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2012, 05:02:46 AM »

I agree.

No more Romneys.

andreisdaman

• Getbig V

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.

GigantorX

• Getbig V

Voice of Doom

• Getbig IV
  • Everything is under control.
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2012, 08:12:45 AM »
Business monopolies can only exist because of government support.

Both groups are afraid of a true free market.

GigantorX

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2012, 10:00:57 AM »

Absolutely correct. Just talk a look at the telecom and cable industries.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2012, 10:02:06 AM »
Absolutely correct. Just talk a look at the telecom and cable industries.
I've never understood why they go after Microsoft, and yet the communications conglomerates can't be touched. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2012, 12:56:26 PM »

Hahahahahaha!  I remember this one. ;D 

avxo

• Getbig V
  • Iron Pumping University Math Professor
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2012, 01:41:34 PM »
Hahahahahaha!  I remember this one. ;D 

Yeah, what a buffoon. His "retconned" explanation of what he meant funny despite being so obviously forced. How do people like this get elected to Congress?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2012, 01:43:28 PM »
Yeah, what a buffoon. His "retconned" explanation of what he meant funny despite being so obviously forced. How do people like this get elected to Congress?

It happens too often unfortunately.  He's probably from a district that votes along party lines.  I've seen a number of people like that elected.   :-\

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2012, 05:22:42 PM »

excuse me? monopolies can only exist with government support? are you joking? do people with wealth not have the ability to hire mercenaries and force their will upon the people? are business owners unable to dominate a market by way of price gouging and buying competitors, resources, etc ? 

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2012, 07:09:15 PM »
The ignorance and stupidity of elected officials who are required to take an oath to uphold the Constitution never fails to amaze me.

And Oz-- As much as I find your mindless insistance on trumpeting the tired "money out of politics", "everyone is equally bad" mantra, I have a holistic solution.

The best way to eliminate the rampant culture of corruption in Washington is as follows: (1) Mandatory term limits for both houses of Congress. (2) No more public funding of elections on the state, federal or local level. (3) A Constitutional Balanced budget amendment. (4) Nationalize all Congressional elections. (5) Eliminate all forms of corporate welfare. (6) Eliminate public sector unions completely. (7) Re-institute Glass Stegal

Enacting the above solutions will ensure that the private sector is substantially walled off from Government. It will reduce crony capitalism. It will stop the collapsing yet expanding welfare state; the most egregious example of money-- My money, your money and the wealth of future generations from being stolen before it is earned by the government. It will help reverse course from the impending disaster of unfunded liabilities and municipal bond defaults. It will end too big to fail.

A few lobbyists trying to convince politicians to do this or that isn't the real problem. The government has no money of its own. It can only function through money confiscated from the productive members of society. Take a sledge hammer to these multidecade, beltway insider, career political hacks and it will go a long way through re-establishing a representative government that acts for the good of the people.  

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2012, 07:29:03 PM »
The ignorance and stupidity of elected officials who are required to take an oath to uphold the Constitution never fails to amaze me.

And Oz-- As much as I find your mindless insistance on trumpeting the tired "money out of politics", "everyone is equally bad" mantra, I have a holistic solution.

The best way to eliminate the rampant culture of corruption in Washington is as follows: (1) Mandatory term limits for both houses of Congress. (2) No more public funding of elections on the state, federal or local level. (3) A Constitutional Balanced budget amendment. (4) Nationalize all Congressional elections. (5) Eliminate all forms of corporate welfare. (6) Eliminate public sector unions completely. (7) Re-institute Glass Stegal

Enacting the above solutions will ensure that the private sector is substantially walled off from Government. It will reduce crony capitalism. It will stop the collapsing yet expanding welfare state; the most egregious example of money-- My money, your money and the wealth of future generations from being stolen before it is earned by the government. It will help reverse course from the impending disaster of unfunded liabilities and municipal bond defaults. It will end too big to fail.

A few lobbyists trying to convince politicians to do this or that isn't the real problem. The government has no money of its own. It can only function through money confiscated from the productive members of society. Take a sledge hammer to these multidecade, beltway insider, career political hacks and it will go a long way through re-establishing a representative government that acts for the good of the people.  

Everyone is not equally bad.  Each side is compromised of good and bad people some worse than others some better than others....some very much in someone's pocket some not. 

However, can we agree the system the way its stands isn't working well and isn't truly representative government?

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2012, 08:13:36 PM »
george whorewell ..   some of my opinions on your plan=

arbitrary term limits are, by definition, undemocratic!  as such, i whole-heartedly reject the idea.

balanced budget amendment? forcing congress to pass a balanced budget? DEPENDS! what happens if they dont pass a balanced budget? some people advocate taking away the salaries of the representatives. I dont support that idea! sounds like a good way to increase corruption.  Instead i would rather support a penalty of being banned from re-election. that is to say, if a balanced budget isnt passed then all the representatives are prohibited from running for re-election after their current term expires.

nationalize congressional elections?  define this for me.

ban public sector unions? absolutely not!!  the right of individuals to organize and campaign is essential to personal freedom and the preservation of liberty!

end corporate welfaree? absolutely!

no more public funding of elections?  not sure why you would recommend that! although im not necessarily opposed! explain , if you will.

repeal glass stegal?  no thank you! personal financial decisions are personal financial decisions and the government should stay the fuck out !

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2012, 12:55:31 AM »
Public sector unions are able to help select (through elections) the people with whom they must negotiate, and who will approve, or deny, their salary increases.  Can you imagine private sector employees being able to elect the people who call the shots (for the management side) during their contract negotiations, and eventually approve their contract?

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2012, 02:10:55 AM »

This is so absurdly being taken out of context it's fucking sad beyond repair.  You have got to be fucking kidding me. ::)