Author Topic: frank zane  (Read 32370 times)

Dan-O

• Getbig V
Re: frank zane
« Reply #50 on: January 08, 2006, 12:52:14 PM »
Well if it's any consolation, if the 1979 Mr. O were being held today, with today's judges, Mentzer would undoubtedly be the winner.

Mentzer was big, blocky, had a somewhat bloated stomach and none of the details or refinements of Zane.  Which with current judging criteria would've made Mighty Mike a shoo-in for the top spot. :)

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #51 on: January 08, 2006, 01:23:53 PM »
Well if it's any consolation, if the 1979 Mr. O were being held today, with today's judges, Mentzer would undoubtedly be the winner.

Mentzer was big, blocky, had a somewhat bloated stomach and none of the details or refinements of Zane.  Which with current judging criteria would've made Mighty Mike a shoo-in for the top spot. :)

Well...I guess from what I read....Mike's routine for the the 79 Olympia just sucked.

He just did a couple of poses...didn't hold them very long...& was done.

Dan-O

• Getbig V
« Reply #52 on: January 08, 2006, 01:45:21 PM »
Well...I guess from what I read....Mike's routine for the the 79 Olympia just sucked.

Knowing Mike & his ego...  he probably thought he was so good that that was all that was necessary to lock up first place. ;D

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #53 on: January 08, 2006, 02:09:39 PM »
Knowing Mike & his ego...  he probably thought he was so good that that was all that was necessary to lock up first place. ;D

Yeah...it worked well.

;)

Hurricane Beef !

• Getbig V
  • Beat Coach, Wes & Chaos So Bad . . .
« Reply #54 on: January 09, 2006, 02:43:46 AM »
When I find it on the net...I'll post you.

I forget people like you need to be proved wrong.

It will make you look like a jackass.

It is mentioned in Arnolds Bodybuilding Encyclopedia under the posing section...if you have it.

You do that son, prove me wrong, make me look like a jackass.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: January 09, 2006, 09:24:56 AM »
You do that son, prove me wrong, make me look like a jackass.

I found it last night & I was wrong in the chapter.

It's where Arnold talks about diet & he felt Mike drank/ate something between prejudging & evening show that costed him the show.

It was more than I wanted to type last night...but I'll get to it loser.

Hurricane Beef !

• Getbig V
  • Beat Coach, Wes & Chaos So Bad . . .
« Reply #56 on: January 09, 2006, 09:10:14 PM »
The sooner the better, tiger.

Moosejay

« Reply #57 on: January 24, 2008, 08:46:50 PM »
That justifies a guy that looks very small compared to every other Mr O beating a guy with such great aesthetics and flow as Robby?

I just don't buy these kinds of arguments about Zane.

Robby used to show up contest day as smooth as a newly opened jar of peanut butter.

Mike

Slintowin4424

• Competitors II
  • Getbig III
  • Seminar May 10 in brea message me for details
« Reply #58 on: March 14, 2008, 10:30:01 AM »
Mike was a great comp.  He refined training and brought out many new methods.  However Zane I believe took bodybuilding backwards with his three  Olympia wins by todays standards even with his non detail you all say he had he could not even win a local show Frank Zane was not  ripped because low carbs the guy was ripped and flat because he was addicted to cytomel which eventually burned his thyroid completely out.

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: March 14, 2008, 06:07:36 PM »
Speaking of Zane... what the hell was this?

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #60 on: March 14, 2008, 06:13:58 PM »
Arnold even admits that Mentzer should have beaten Zane in 79...but Mike's posing sucked & he never learned how to control his stomach.

Terrible quality, but heres the show:

Moosejay

« Reply #61 on: March 15, 2008, 03:16:20 PM »
Mike was a great comp.  He refined training and brought out many new methods.  However Zane I believe took bodybuilding backwards with his three  Olympia wins by todays standards even with his non detail you all say he had he could not even win a local show Frank Zane was not  ripped because low carbs the guy was ripped and flat because he was addicted to cytomel which eventually burned his thyroid completely out.

Well, like him or not, he was great...and, like it or not...it'll soon being going back to champs his size

Slintowin4424

• Competitors II
  • Getbig III
« Reply #62 on: March 16, 2008, 10:38:14 AM »
I have met Frank and he is a very kind person but that in no way means that he deserved his trophy. And it will never go back to his size he wasn't even 200 lbs  waist will go down yes but Frank was just a normal dude

Moosejay

« Reply #63 on: March 18, 2008, 02:38:52 PM »
Actually, you'd be surprised if you'd seen him compete in person...he did compete at 205 in his last Olympia, minus some detail.

I feel drugs qwill be severely compromised in their availability...and you will see shrinkage of size throughout

and, come now....you don't really think he was a 'normal dude'?

Slintowin4424

• Competitors II
  • Getbig III
« Reply #64 on: March 19, 2008, 03:19:53 PM »
I do think he was a normal dude the way things are looking no pro is having a problem so I think waists will go down and size will go up

Moosejay

« Reply #65 on: March 28, 2008, 04:58:56 PM »
Probably true

JohnnyVegas

« Reply #66 on: April 01, 2008, 11:00:32 PM »

I saw Mike's posing from the 80 O in that "Total Rebuild" movie (or whatever it was fuckign called) about Arnold, and it was just how you described.......Mike's posing was short, shakey did not hold a single pose, just fucking awful!

How could you be at that level and be such a bad poser-not not bad-AWFUL POSER?????

JohnnyVegas

« Reply #67 on: April 01, 2008, 11:05:34 PM »
Robby used to show up contest day as smooth as a newly opened jar of peanut butter.

Mike

Yep, that looks like a "newly opened jar of peanut butter" to me....Now, where can I get some jelly for that PB???????

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #68 on: April 05, 2008, 03:11:40 PM »
Yep, that looks like a "newly opened jar of peanut butter" to me....Now, where can I get some jelly for that PB???????

Robby was great....but I think his skin tone killed his career.

It's not that he was black...but he must be one of the blackest guys that ever competed.  I feel it destroyed (or hid) alot of his detail.

Moosejay

« Reply #69 on: April 05, 2008, 06:04:06 PM »

That shot is from a Florida pro show that he won...Mentzer came in 2nd.

He was phenomenal in nearly every show he was in....except for the Olympias. I exaggerated with the penut butter joke...but, standing next to Zane...you saw how badly he'd missed his mark

ronrico

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #70 on: April 05, 2008, 07:49:14 PM »
Looking at the pictures of the 77 and 78 Olympia, Frank was on and Robby was not. Always bloated compared to Frank.

Moosejay

« Reply #71 on: April 08, 2008, 04:52:34 AM »
your words ring true, ronrico

Slintowin4424

• Competitors II
  • Getbig III
« Reply #72 on: April 08, 2008, 09:02:40 AM »
Robby look phenominal cleary should have beat Zane

Old-Skool

• Getbig III
  • Back in the Day....
« Reply #73 on: April 09, 2008, 04:59:56 PM »
.....I am a much bigger Robby fan but respect Zane immensely.....if memory serves me correctly Robby had the flu in '78 or'79 and was very watery as a result....fever, chills, sweats etc.....

Moosejay

« Reply #74 on: April 19, 2008, 05:52:39 PM »
Yes, in either of those years, that was the story