Author Topic: How stict a diet for an ectomorph?  (Read 1930 times)

H4eafy

• Getbig III
  • I will Stop Procrastinating... Tomorrow
How stict a diet for an ectomorph?
« on: December 03, 2005, 12:26:55 PM »
Im a bit of an ectomorph and I have been bulking for a while. I just started trying to cut down again.

My question:
As an ectomorph looking to cut fat and maintain as much muscle as pos, how important is a completely strict diet? I have been able to cheat once a day and still get my BF really low in the past.

This with very regular weight training and cardio.

Cheers,

Blake

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
Re: How stict a diet for an ectomorph?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2005, 01:00:02 PM »
The bottom line is that it's not very important at all to eat "clean" all the time to lose bodyfat.

You'll see people spout off shit all the time like "you can never have a cheat meal!" or "fast food makes you fat!" and dumb crap like that. 

The most important factor at the end of each day is calories in vs. calories out.  As long as you're in a caloric deficit you can lose fat and/or weight.

Many people like to think that so-called "clean" foods have magical properties that keep you lean.  In actuality one of the biggest advantages of eating "clean" comes from a satiety standpoint.  A giant plain chicken breast and two cups of oatmeal and veggies will keep you full a lot longer than a couple Wendy's burgers and a Coke, which can be nice when you're dieting.

The point is that you can get lean and lose weight eating fast food and other junk almost daily.  I've done it multiple times along with plenty others I know.  Now, does this mean that ALL I eat is junk?  Of course not.  But some fast food or other junk food when kept in check will be just fine.

Oh, and please note that we're talking strictly from a body composition standpoint here.  NOT a health standpoint.

Bear03

• Getbig IV
  • back in the swing of things
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2005, 09:58:46 PM »
Agree completely with Blake.  Another caveat- calories in vs. calories out, but you still need enough protein.  So, understand that if you eat a pint of ice cream, you'll have to eat low-carb and low-fat the rest of the day.  Further, a loose diet will help you lean out, but in order to break that threshold into insane ripped-ness (something most people don't even want) you have to really clean it up.
:-)

Blake

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2005, 12:06:34 PM »
Agree completely with Blake.  Another caveat- calories in vs. calories out, but you still need enough protein.  So, understand that if you eat a pint of ice cream, you'll have to eat low-carb and low-fat the rest of the day.  Further, a loose diet will help you lean out, but in order to break that threshold into insane ripped-ness (something most people don't even want) you have to really clean it up.

Agreed.  Protein becomes more important in hypocaloric situations.

And I also agree that the lower you get wrt bodyfat levels, the more strict you'll have to be with eating and cardio to continue making progress.

Bear03

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2005, 04:48:37 PM »
Agreed.  Protein becomes more important in hypocaloric situations.

And I also agree that the lower you get wrt bodyfat levels, the more strict you'll have to be with eating and cardio to continue making progress.

I don't want to start a homoerotic lovefest of agreement here, but also agreed and think its a good idea to diet as loosely as is possible for as long as is possible, so you have somewhere to go once you've begun to lean out considerably.

H4eafy

• Getbig III
  • I will Stop Procrastinating... Tomorrow
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2005, 04:44:59 AM »
Cheers for the input, what about from a muscle preservation stand point?

(if that sentace makes any sence)

Bear03

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2005, 08:21:24 AM »
Cheers for the input, what about from a muscle preservation stand point?

(if that sentace makes any sence)

makes sense.  You don't need to eat as much for muscle preseveration, around 2500 cals a day should probably do it, provided you're getting enough sleep and such.