Author Topic: Any home builders/contractors on getbig? I have a question  (Read 3375 times)

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
Any home builders/contractors on getbig? I have a question
« on: December 02, 2012, 03:52:09 PM »
 ???

please help me

Jadeveon Clowney

• Getbig V
  • The life is like a case of chocolate bonbon.
Re: Any home builders/contractors on getbig? I have a question
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 03:58:02 PM »
pm professor roofenstein - just don't joke about his junk or he will punch you in the face

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 03:58:44 PM »
pm professor roofenstein - just don't joke about his junk or he will punch you in the face

roofenstein? lol  ???

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 03:59:06 PM »
What's the question, getting ready to put an addition on my house.

Twaddle

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 04:00:08 PM »
???

please help me

Well, what the fuck is the fucking question??   ???

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2012, 04:05:01 PM »
What's the question, getting ready to put an addition on my house.

My house has a leaky basement on the one side, the side yard has a depression in it and won't let water run away from the foundation.

I'm thinking about digging a ditch along the foundation that's about 2 foot deep by 2 foot wide and runs towards the back yard and out a hillside (down a two or three percent grade).  Along the foundation, lay 4mil plastic (on the bottom and up the sides), put in a few inches of gravel, and lay down one length of corrugated piping without perforations to run off the downspout water, and another length of corrugated pipe (next to it) with perforations to run off the ground water.  Fill this over with pea gravel, and than lay landscaping fabric and soil over top.

I just wondered if this sounds okay?  Like it will fix the problem?

Slik

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2012, 04:10:30 PM »
I do a lot of construction.  Most water problems in basements r the result of port surface drainage.  U have a great idea but forget the plastic.  It's useless.  Water will follow the path of least resistance.  Just dig a deep ditch pitching toward where u want the water to go.  Wrap your perforated pipe with fiber cloth so the dirt won't plug the holes or just buy it that way already wrapped at lowes or Home Depot then back fill with gravel leaving a few inches on top to fill with topsoil. Replant the grass and u should be good to go.

Slik

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2012, 04:11:50 PM »
Keep the ditch further away form the house than u have in your drawing then slope the land from ur house toward the pipe.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2012, 04:14:15 PM »
Thank you Silk, I do appreciate it!!!  8)

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2012, 04:45:53 PM »
You should check out the legendary "ronpaulfan" thread that deals with older houses and how they were built with better quality.

Tons of great little nuggets of information in that thread.

Slik

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2012, 04:46:56 PM »
Thank you Silk, I do appreciate it!!!  8)
my pleasure. Reason I say keep it a little more away from the house u never want to attract water toward ur foundation. Perforated pipe allows water to flow thru it but will still allow water to leak out of it too.  Six to ten feet away would be great if u have the room.

Slik

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2012, 04:54:09 PM »
You should check out the legendary "ronpaulfan" thread that deals with older houses and how they were built with better quality.

yeah. And my belief is that those water in ur basement companies that come fix ur leak for thousands of dollars for the most part r rip offs. Usually wut happens is a home is built. The original builder was I smart enuff to know to slope a bit away so water didn't enter the basement. Yet after homes change hands, people do improper landscaping, land settles etc. new owners have water in basement and they consult these companies who fleece then telling them the original builder should never have built the house this way or that. When most of the basement problems are down spouting or gutter clogging issues or land improper land elevation. OP if u don't have neighbors close to u call united rentals. Rent a bobcat on a sat AM. they will deliver and u keep it till Monday n ur only charged one day. It's the easiest way to slope land away from ur house and its under 200 bucks. It's very difficult to slope even six to ten feet of land evenly toward the ditch with a shovel. The ditch part is honestly easier.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2012, 05:00:47 PM »

Oh yeah, that guy...  ;D

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2012, 05:15:57 PM »
yeah. And my belief is that those water in ur basement companies that come fix ur leak for thousands of dollars for the most part r rip offs. Usually wut happens is a home is built. The original builder was I smart enuff to know to slope a bit away so water didn't enter the basement. Yet after homes change hands, people do improper landscaping, land settles etc. new owners have water in basement and they consult these companies who fleece then telling them the original builder should never have built the house this way or that. When most of the basement problems are down spouting or gutter clogging issues or land improper land elevation. OP if u don't have neighbors close to u call united rentals. Rent a bobcat on a sat AM. they will deliver and u keep it till Monday n ur only charged one day. It's the easiest way to slope land away from ur house and its under 200 bucks. It's very difficult to slope even six to ten feet of land evenly toward the ditch with a shovel. The ditch part is honestly easier.

That's who I use, can't beat their RPP. I sunk an excavator off of a barge, and it only cost me $525 for the deductible. I buy all of my used dirt equipment from them too. I'd recommend getting the sales reps number from the office that covers your area and calling direct, you will get a better deal.

To the OP, your drainage plan you posted looks good, but like slik said, keep it a bit away from your house, moisture problems are bad.

Slik

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2012, 06:00:38 PM »
That's who I use, can't beat their RPP. I sunk an excavator off of a barge, and it only cost me $525 for the deductible. I buy all of my used dirt equipment from them too. I'd recommend getting the sales reps number from the office that covers your area and calling direct, you will get a better deal.

To the OP, your drainage plan you posted looks good, but like slik said, keep it a bit away from your house, moisture problems are bad.
Jeeeeezus that's funny

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2012, 06:27:42 PM »
My house has a leaky basement on the one side, the side yard has a depression in it and won't let water run away from the foundation.

I'm thinking about digging a ditch along the foundation that's about 2 foot deep by 2 foot wide and runs towards the back yard and out a hillside (down a two or three percent grade).  Along the foundation, lay 4mil plastic (on the bottom and up the sides), put in a few inches of gravel, and lay down one length of corrugated piping without perforations to run off the downspout water, and another length of corrugated pipe (next to it) with perforations to run off the ground water.  Fill this over with pea gravel, and than lay landscaping fabric and soil over top.

holy deja vu pip!  i literally JUST did this exact thing with my dad on a house he's flipping... down to the last detail :o

sadly he's the brains behind the operation, i just shovel, so can't really give advice.

Dr.J

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2012, 06:47:02 PM »

MOVE TO SO.CAL.  NO BASEMENTS.....AND NOT MUCH RAIN......

Mr. AZ 2003

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2012, 06:50:48 PM »
terraform the land get some fucking gutters
A

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2012, 06:52:39 PM »

do they pick it up monday first thing in the morning ?
A

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2012, 06:56:27 PM »
yes actually the 4 mil plastic is thick enough good idea

we dont do that shit on rentals cause some neegul falcon would tear up the plastic someway somehow

i had to dump and slope away from the foundation a bunch of concrete because i was having this problem

plastic might last as long as no traffic on top to puncture it
A

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2012, 07:04:00 PM »
holy deja vu pip!  i literally JUST did this exact thing with my dad on a house he's flipping... down to the last detail :o

sadly he's the brains behind the operation, i just shovel, so can't really give advice.

AHHH COOL!

Glad to hear that it's not to far out there.

Does it seem like it worked?  ???

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2012, 07:05:27 PM »
yes actually the 4 mil plastic is thick enough good idea

we dont do that shit on rentals cause some neegul falcon would tear up the plastic someway somehow

i had to dump and slope away from the foundation a bunch of concrete because i was having this problem

plastic might last as long as no traffic on top to puncture it

Thanks Falcon, I'm talking something like this, except I want to do landscape fabric and soil over the gravel.

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2012, 07:17:21 PM »
Thanks Falcon, I'm talking something like this, except I want to do landscape fabric and soil over the gravel.

you could have those nice smooth rock pebbles have thick plastic sheet underneath and cut out some areas for a few exotic attractive plants , just make sure theres a decent slope away from house
A

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2012, 07:20:23 PM »
you could have those nice smooth rock pebbles have thick plastic sheet underneath and cut out some areas for a few exotic attractive plants , just make sure theres a decent slope away from house

Thanks Falcon... wish you were local... i'd def pay you to help me with this shit.  I'd be done in an hour, you're strong like ox

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2012, 07:52:13 PM »
AHHH COOL!

Glad to hear that it's not to far out there.

Does it seem like it worked?  ???

i couldn't say, we just did it last week.  he also installed this basin where the crawlspace opens up, with a "sump pump" that periodically drains it into the lawn.  but that picture you posted looks just like what we did.  we also had the spout(? no holes) drain running on top of the fabric, above the rocks and the other (?) type of drain (the one with holes in it).