Author Topic: Leroy Colbert - Pioneer: First Man with 21" arms  (Read 14703 times)

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Leroy Colbert - Pioneer: First Man with 21" arms
« on: December 06, 2012, 09:14:00 AM »
This guy was put together. Even in his teens, you can see how he ended up with such a great physique.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
Re: Leroy Colbert - Pioneer: First Man with 21" arms
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 09:28:17 AM »
respect,,old school .

ob205

• Getbig III
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 09:35:42 AM »
Arthur Jones taped his arms at 17.25"  :P   Just kidding, good arms but no way close to 21, you really think they are as big as coleman's at almost 300lbs.

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2012, 09:45:05 AM »
Good physique. Great dude. Owed a real good supplement store in Marina Del Rey for years. 
a

Rudee

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2012, 09:52:27 AM »
Arthur Jones taped his arms at 17.25"  :P   Just kidding, good arms but no way close to 21, you really think they are as big as coleman's at almost 300lbs.

Yup, the "First Man with 21" arms" claim is a self-proposed claim by Leroy himself.   Looking at his photos back then, no way he had 21" arms.   21" arms are close to the circumference of the average mans head.   I've seen bodybuilders with legit 21" arms, and they are night and day bigger than what Leroy Colbert had.    Leroy Colbert was however, the first bodybuilder to lie about having 21" arms.  I will give him that.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2012, 09:54:26 AM »
Arthur Jones taped his arms at 17.25"  :P   Just kidding, good arms but no way close to 21, you really think they are as big as coleman's at almost 300lbs.

Coleman's arms were bigger than 21" at nearly 300. Plus, he was ripped to the bone. Had Colbert been as ripped as Coleman, his arm would be smaller.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2012, 09:58:37 AM »
Yup, the "First Man with 21" arms" claim is a self-proposed claim by Leroy himself.   Looking at his photos back then, noway he had 21" arms.   21" arms are close the circumference of the average mans head.   I've seen bodybuilders with legit 21" arms, and they are night and day bigger than what Leroy Colbert had.    Leroy Colbert was however, the first bodybuilder to lie about having 21" arms.  I will give him that.

In one of his videos, Colbert mentions who taped his arms (and it was with a steel tape). I'll have to find it and post it here.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2012, 10:00:48 AM »
 ;D hey leroy. started his health food business in nyc.
F

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2012, 10:01:46 AM »
Yup, the "First Man with 21" arms" claim is a self-proposed claim by Leroy himself.   Looking at his photos back then, noway he had 21" arms.   21" arms are close the circumference of the average mans head.   I've seen bodybuilders with legit 21" arms, and they are night and day bigger than what Leroy Colbert had.    Leroy Colbert was however, the first bodybuilder to lie about having 21" arms.  I will give him that.
I remember his ads, and the measurement got bigger and bigger over time to equate with contemporary BBers arm measurements.     ;D

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2012, 10:02:18 AM »
and first guy to claim 22 inches ;D bill pettis from h-burg pa.
F

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2012, 10:03:52 AM »
Those of us old enough to remember, know that his ad used to be "first man with 20 inch arms"  then they added an inch years later.

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
  • my love for ronnie will never die
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2012, 10:06:19 AM »
roleman had 22" i guess

hazbin

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2012, 11:46:46 AM »
to say someone's arms are a certain size is rediculous..   Coleman had 22'' arms. he also had 20'' arms, 18'' arms and probably 24'' arms at one point.   somebody measures them once and that is the only size they have and will have ever been??   pretty dumb thinking.

Rudee

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2012, 11:49:19 AM »
I remember his ads, and the measurement got bigger and bigger over time to equate with contemporary BBers arm measurements.     ;D

Yup.

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2012, 11:54:36 AM »
alot of old timers make some bs claims... thankfully we are all educated to laugh at these blatant lies

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
  • my love for ronnie will never die
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2012, 11:58:06 AM »
alot of old timers make some bs claims... thankfully we are all educated to laugh at these blatant lies
old bastards dont know when to stop lying

ob205

• Getbig III
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2012, 12:19:22 PM »
Sure they are 21" in his dreams. 

In "The Nautilus Book, Volume II," Jones recounts that the most muscular arm he ever measured was that of Sergio Oliva. At 20-1/8 inches

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2012, 03:17:25 PM »
Sure they are 21" in his dreams.  

In "The Nautilus Book, Volume II," Jones recounts that the most muscular arm he ever measured was that of Sergio Oliva. At 20-1/8 inches

By the time Jones did that measurement, Colbert had been retired about 15 years or so. Besides, Jones is merely recounting the largest arm HE ever measured.

Those of us old enough to remember, know that his ad used to be "first man with 20 inch arms"  then they added an inch years later.

So who had 20" arms before he did?

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2012, 03:31:14 PM »
to say someone's arms are a certain size is rediculous..   Coleman had 22'' arms. he also had 20'' arms, 18'' arms and probably 24'' arms at one point.   somebody measures them once and that is the only size they have and will have ever been??   pretty dumb thinking.
exactly...

As far as Colbert, I think in a 90s Flex magazine, they had mentioned that measurements of his arms were 19s, each arm, slightly different. And there wasn't any info on his weight, or if it was when he was bulked up or lean. Every pic I've seen of Colbert, I could see his arms being 18.5s or 19s, but no way 21s, and they didn't look as big as Sergio's or Arnold's.

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2012, 06:28:21 PM »

Correct

dynamike

• Getbig II
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2012, 08:18:48 PM »
His arms were 21" ....from the tip of his shoulder to his middle finger.

(This man also claims he's natural.)

hazbin

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2012, 08:35:53 PM »
people also forget that bone structure plays a huge role in how big someones arms look.    i knew two guys that trained together; same height, nearly same weight. nick had narrow shoulders while randy's shoulders were crazy wide.  everybody raved about how big nick's arms were, ignoring randy's. nicks looked two inches bigger. one day they ended up measuring and randy's were about 20'' while nick's were just under 19''. nobody  could believe randy's were even close, never mind bigger.  (pain killer induced rant!!)

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2012, 08:39:32 PM »
people also forget that bone structure plays a huge role in how big someones arms look.    i knew two guys that trained together; same height, nearly same weight. nick had narrow shoulders while randy's shoulders were crazy wide.  everybody raved about how big nick's arms were, ignoring randy's. nicks looked two inches bigger. one day they ended up measuring and randy's were about 20'' while nick's were just under 19''. nobody  could believe randy's were even close, never mind bigger.  (pain killer induced rant!!)
Phil Heath vs Jay Cutler or Kai Green comes to mind---both of them (when Jay was competing against Phil) have bigger arms than Phil.

hazbin

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2012, 08:48:34 PM »
Phil Heath vs Jay Cutler or Kai Green comes to mind---both of them (when Jay was competing against Phil) have bigger arms than Phil.

i would believe that,  but 99 percent of the people who see them together will never believe that.

when my arms are 19'' they look small and shitty.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2012, 09:10:07 PM »
exactly...

As far as Colbert, I think in a 90s Flex magazine, they had mentioned that measurements of his arms were 19s, each arm, slightly different. And there wasn't any info on his weight, or if it was when he was bulked up or lean. Every pic I've seen of Colbert, I could see his arms being 18.5s or 19s, but no way 21s, and they didn't look as big as Sergio's or Arnold's.

Was the article talking about his arms in competition? Colbert said his arms were 18", when he was competing. It was after his motorcycle accident that he got them over 20". He concentrated on them more, since he couldn't compete and train his legs the way he used to train them.

This is the video I referenced earlier. Colbert mentions that a man, named David Willowby (sp), measured his arms with a steel tape at 21".