Author Topic: Anybody here ever use a credit repair company?  (Read 2484 times)

True Amateur

Anybody here ever use a credit repair company?
« on: December 06, 2012, 09:18:08 AM »
This company claims they can remove negative entries from my credit report on raise my score 100 points inside of six months. Too good to be true?

kh300

• Getbig V
Re: Anybody here ever use a credit repair company?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 09:21:34 AM »
Can they remove the time I fucked your mom out of my memory?

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 09:22:05 AM »
Was his name 'Ade Wolle'?

Did he have a Nigerian accent?

Was the company called something along the lines of "God is my provider Credit Solutions"

Things to consider

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2012, 09:47:05 AM »
Send me $950 and all your troubles will be over. You'll have a 795 credit score and 20" arms in 90 days. Guaranteed!
a

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
  • quit·ter : a person can't finish a task
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2012, 09:48:46 AM »
This company claims they can remove negative entries from my credit report on raise my score 100 points inside of six months. Too good to be true?

In an word....yes.  Do it yourself.  Its not that hard.  Get your report from all three bureaus and look at it yourself.  If you feel there is an error, write to that particular bureau and dispute it.

Money saved.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2012, 10:03:34 AM »

Credit repair companies are scams.  ALL of them!  The only person who can repair your credit is you.  The only way to repair it is to pay your bills on time and to make good on your past debts.  There is no escaping this.

Nails

• Getbig V
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jsi5VTzJpPw
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2012, 10:07:42 AM »
Who gives a fucking SHIT, the whole damn world will change in 15 days , tell the credit card companys to go fuck themselves

for that bit of advice i gave you all i ask it pics of your mothers tits or your sisters

pluck

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2012, 10:18:09 AM »
Yes, there are legit ones out there.

My mortgage guy used to refer some clients to a company ...let me know if you're interested.

One clients score went from mid 500s in 6 months to low 700s with negative crap off his record.

WELL worth the money.

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2012, 10:27:40 AM »
Credit repair companies are scams.  ALL of them!  The only person who can repair your credit is you.  The only way to repair it is to pay your bills on time and to make good on your past debts.  There is no escaping this.
   ^
 This
a

pluck

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2012, 10:30:32 AM »
Credit repair companies are scams.  ALL of them!  The only person who can repair your credit is you.  The only way to repair it is to pay your bills on time and to make good on your past debts.  There is no escaping this.

WRONG. There are legit companies that for a fee will improve your credit.

Yes ...there are a lot of scams out there. Probably more than legit ones.

But you can still have great credit score with no history or shitty income ...you're not getting a house or a good rate on a car.

The credit score system is a fucking scam ...in order to get good credit you have to go into debt. You have to take a loan with interest and pay it off to make someone else rich.

A family I know that owns their house and has their cars paid off as of the last 4-5 years and doesn't use credit cards has a score of 680. Which isn't good ...but they pay their utilities, phone, insurance on time every month. There should be a better "credit score" system out there without going into debt to raise your score.

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2012, 10:38:37 AM »
Yes, there are legit ones out there.

My mortgage guy used to refer some clients to a company ...let me know if you're interested.

One clients score went from mid 500s in 6 months to low 700s with negative crap off his record.

WELL worth the money.

Why not just name the company?  The companies that are legit work is for you to sign off on ALL your credit cards and then there is the potential for consolidation at that point.  But you are now without a credit card for any sort of emergencies.  You also are often times agreeing to NOT pursue any more credit cards/loans/etc for a specified time fram or the deal is cancelled and you are screwed.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2012, 10:43:39 AM »
Agree. Pretty ingenious tho -ie. invent a problem, and then suggest yourself as a solution. I always wonder who is stupid enough to fall for these ads.  

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2012, 10:46:26 AM »
You can get a free, yes FREE copy of all three credit reports from annualcreditreport.com.  No strings attached.  Don't pay a single penny for any upsell.  The law requires all three bureaus to give you this free report once a year

Stay away from freecrediteport.com as that is a third party.  annualcredit is run by the credit report companies

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2012, 10:49:29 AM »
You can get a free, yes FREE copy of all three credit reports from annualcreditreport.com.  No strings attached.  Don't pay a single penny for any upsell.  The law requires all three bureaus to give you this free report once a year

Stay away from freecrediteport.com as that is a third party.  annualcredit is run by the credit report companies

Most good banks (Chase, BOA) will also provide you with a credit report as well.  While it is a slight bit of a scam, those said baks also monitor our credit score for a monthly fee.  I think chase is like $9/mo.  But you can look at your report any time you wish.  So, in the event you do dispute something you can see when it comes off.  You can also see what stuff is affecting you and how.

pluck

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2012, 10:52:38 AM »
Why not just name the company?  The companies that are legit work is for you to sign off on ALL your credit cards and then there is the potential for consolidation at that point.  But you are now without a credit card for any sort of emergencies.  You also are often times agreeing to NOT pursue any more credit cards/loans/etc for a specified time fram or the deal is cancelled and you are screwed.

If you have credit card debt and are past due ...you're fucked. Debt consolidation companies are different from credit repair companies. Debt consolidation means you hire a company that will negotiate for you with your creditors to lower interest rates, close acccounts and maybe waive fees ...all things that an average joe can do themselves. Basically debt conslidation companies take advantage of the uninformed person.

Not saying that if you have 5 cards in collection and $20k in debt with shitty income, there is a miracle fix out there other than getting a 2-3 part time jobs and grinding it out to pay off these cards.

I had a problem where in college I racked up CC debt because I was irresponsible. That shit haunted me for years even after I had no debt and kept using credit cards every month and paying the balance off.

http://www.getcredithealthy.com is one good company that will work with you to get your score back up.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2012, 10:58:20 AM »
WRONG. There are legit companies that for a fee will improve your credit.

Yes ...there are a lot of scams out there. Probably more than legit ones.

But you can still have great credit score with no history or shitty income ...you're not getting a house or a good rate on a car.

The credit score system is a fucking scam ...in order to get good credit you have to go into debt. You have to take a loan with interest and pay it off to make someone else rich.

A family I know that owns their house and has their cars paid off as of the last 4-5 years and doesn't use credit cards has a score of 680. Which isn't good ...but they pay their utilities, phone, insurance on time every month. There should be a better "credit score" system out there without going into debt to raise your score.

It is not a “scam” to require a track record.  That is effectively what the score reports: what is the person’s track record of repaying past debts?  Whenever this topic comes up someone always chimes in insisting that you can and should live without credit: buy your clothes, car, and house with cash.  If you can do that fine; more power to you, but you probably do not need to troll threads about managing credit.  I doubt the original poster is interested in exceptional cases like lottery winners with good/bad credit scores or some family you know who lives behind a tree in a parallel universe.

One can make the decision to pay bills on time and repay past debts with out advice from a credit repair company.

Here's a tip to the OP: before taking credit advice from someone on a message board (or anywhere for that matter) ask them what their credit score is.  ::)

pluck

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2012, 11:06:44 AM »

It is not a “scam” to require a track record.  That is effectively what the score reports: what is the person’s track record of repaying past debts?  Whenever this topic comes up someone always chimes in insisting that you can and should live without credit: buy your clothes, car, and house with cash.  If you can do that fine; more power to you, but you probably do not need to troll threads about managing credit.  I doubt the original poster is interested in exceptional cases like lottery winners with good/bad credit scores or some family you know who lives behind a tree in a parallel universe.

One can make the decision to pay bills on time and repay past debts with out advice from a credit repair company.

Here's a tip to the OP: before taking credit advice from someone on a message board (or anywhere for that matter) ask them what their credit score is.  ::)

You're right. It isn't a scam to require a track record. It is a scam however to have a score based on debt repayment ...what about the people (more than you think) who don't carry debt other than a mortgage? Or the people who live in a city that are renters and don't need a car ...that use public transportation. 

There should be a system that takes into account your income and assets that rates your money managing skills rather than debt repayment which costs money.

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2012, 11:09:36 AM »
You're right. It isn't a scam to require a track record. It is a scam however to have a score based on debt repayment ...what about the people (more than you think) who don't carry debt other than a mortgage? Or the people who live in a city that are renters and don't need a car ...that use public transportation

There should be a system that takes into account your income and assets that rates your money managing skills rather than debt repayment which costs money.

Bad example because often times their rent is above what a comparable rent would be in the burbs

pluck

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2012, 11:13:24 AM »
Bad example because often times their rent is above what a comparable rent would be in the burbs

What does that have to do with anything?

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2012, 11:15:23 AM »

It ruins your credit even more.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2012, 11:17:09 AM »
Although you're right about how good credit is built/maintained, the system is a scam, Bay.   >:(  There's zero justification for (Biden's) universal default provision.  It's totally fucked up, no matter how much lipstick you put on that fucking pig.

To answer the OP, I went from very poor credit to very good credit.  Twice.  I used a couple of helpful books the second time around which taught me how to work with those fuckers to fix my shit.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2012, 11:17:28 AM »
You're right. It isn't a scam to require a track record. It is a scam however to have a score based on debt repayment ...what about the people (more than you think) who don't carry debt other than a mortgage? Or the people who live in a city that are renters and don't need a car ...that use public transportation. 

If you think this is such a great idea why don't you run with it and turn it into a viable business?  Transunion, Equifax, and Experian thought they had a good idea and turned it to a business.  Netflix CEO Reed Hastings thought he had a better idea than Blockbuster and turned it into a successful business.  You can do the same... if you dare.  Or you can post on message boards about how the current system is no good and you have a better plan. :-X

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2012, 11:17:58 AM »

x2

monopoly19

• Getbig II
  • 675 locked out...
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2012, 02:50:57 PM »
Yes, there are some reputable companies out there who provide this service and it works well. Most are scams.

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2012, 03:09:43 PM »
In an word....yes.  Do it yourself.  Its not that hard.  Get your report from all three bureaus and look at it yourself.  If you feel there is an error, write to that particular bureau and dispute it.

Money saved.

This. I did this out of college when I went to buy a vehicle. They pulled my credit report at the bank, and the score was low which affected my rate. The lady at the bank wrote a few letters(one blip on my credit report was erroneous) and within a few months my score had jumped significantly.