Author Topic: Jim Brown almost beat Ali in a fight  (Read 7351 times)

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
Re: Jim Brown almost beat Ali in a fight
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2012, 04:53:10 PM »

2 Days in New York (2012)

Is it any good???

i don't know, been meaning to watch it. Something odd about it though, it's like he's out of character, maybe he didn't want to be type cast, but from the trailer it looks like he is trying too hard and his character looks and acts like the kid who got beat up a lot in HS.

Nails

• Getbig V
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jsi5VTzJpPw
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2012, 04:57:19 PM »
i don't know, been meaning to watch it. Something odd about it though, it's like he's out of character, maybe he didn't want to be type cast, but from the trailer it looks like he is trying too hard and his character looks and acts like the kid who got beat up a lot in HS.

Yea i agree, seems like Fucking Jim Carry in The Majestic Poster    

arce1988

• Getbig V
  • ARCE USA USMC
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2012, 05:13:57 PM »
  Who knows if Jim had started Boxing when he was five?

che

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2012, 05:37:27 PM »
Boxing and Street Fighting are two different beasts.  Once you can grab, tackle, throw etc... boxing skills go out the window

I agree , boxers don't know how to  fight , basically a boxer will  throw a punch if he  doesn't knock you out he  will stand there waiting for you to grab him  and throw him around like a rag doll until you decide to  take his back to cinch a  beautiful deep rear naked choke.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2012, 05:46:14 PM »
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/boxing/nfl-great-jimmy-brown-quickly-gave-idea-fight-070258768--box.html

Sports Illustrated's Chris Mannix wrote a wonderful profile of Top Rank chairman Bob Arum, who will turn 81 on Saturday. That's the same day that Arum promotes the fourth fight between Manny Pacquiao and Juan Manuel Marquez, one that is expected to generate at least 1 million pay-per-view sales.

Mannix's rollicking piece is filled with anecdotes from Arum's 46 years as one of boxing's leading promoters.

Jimmy Brown retired as the NFL's all-time leading rusher (AP file photo)The best, though, details the time that NFL great Jimmy Brown decided he wanted to fight then-heavyweight champion Muhammad Ali.

Brown is one of the greatest players in NFL history and is regarded by many as the finest athlete of the 20th century. In addition to being a dominant NFL player, Brown is also arguably the best lacrosse player who ever lived.

He also had a legendary reputation for his toughness. Given that Brown had introduced Arum to Ali, it was hard for Arum to say no without at least checking. Brown figured it was a slam dunk massive payday.

Brown had retired from the Cleveland Browns after the 1965 season, while Arum began promoting in 1966. Ali was the heavyweight champion and entering his prime, while Brown was becoming an actor. Arum felt indebted to Brown, so he decided to see if he could convince Ali of the merits of the idea.

So I went to talk to Ali. He says, 'Jim wants to do what? Bring him here.' So I took him to Hyde Park in London, where Ali used to run. Ali said, 'Jimmy, here's what we're going to do: You hit me as hard as you can.' So Brown starts swinging and swinging, and he can't hit him. He's swinging wildly and not even coming close. This goes on for, like, 30 seconds. Then Ali hits him with this quick one-two to his face. Jimmy just stops and says, 'OK, I get the point.'

Brown was far superior to Ali as an athlete and probably could have beaten him at any game they might have played. In boxing, though, not even the great Jim Brown was in Ali's classic.

Mannix's piece is meticulously researched and marvelously written and well worth checking out.

if that is called "almost beating Ali in a fight" then I could have "almost beat" him too

Jadeveon Clowney

• Getbig V
  • The life is like a case of chocolate bonbon.
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2012, 06:08:34 PM »
if that is called "almost beating Ali in a fight" then I could have "almost beat" him too

maybe you should confine yourself to posting on the politics board as the subtleties of the G&O appear to be (significantly) beyond your grasp.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2012, 07:49:27 PM »
I agree , boxers don't know how to  fight , basically a boxer will  throw a punch if he  doesn't knock you out he  will stand there waiting for you to grab him  and throw him around like a rag doll until you decide to  take his back to cinch a  beautiful deep rear naked choke.

lol

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2012, 08:11:27 PM »
Boxing and Street Fighting are two different beasts.  Once you can grab, tackle, throw etc... boxing skills go out the window

Boxing vs street fighting is as different as sex with a real girl vs jerking off.

Jadeveon Clowney

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2012, 08:25:16 PM »
Boxing vs street fighting is as different as sex with a real girl vs jerking off.

you could star in commercials as the most boring man in the world.

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2012, 08:27:45 PM »
you could star in commercials as the most boring man in the world.

That was f'n funny and I actually spit out my drink reading it.
No comeback after that zinger. You got me.

mame09

• Getbig III
  • its simple if it jiggles its fat
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2012, 08:39:53 PM »
being a great athlete will not make you a great fighter and he happened to step to ali of all people lol

carl lewis was a fantastic runner. all i see is the fastest person to run away from a fight

arce1988

• Getbig V
  • ARCE USA USMC
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2013, 06:30:13 PM »

claymore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2013, 06:31:45 PM »
Tina Turner would've had a better chance at beating Ali then Jim Brown.

K-1

• Getbig IV
  • TEAM NO MERCY!!!
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2013, 07:24:51 PM »

LMFAO

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2013, 08:05:54 PM »
I remember Tyson in his prime and you would hear people say shit like Bo Jackson could beat him in a fight and bullshit like that. If there is any truth to that Ali Jim Brown get together, one thing is certain, they stopped the sparring before Brown was completely humiliated.

Jadeveon Clowney

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2013, 03:52:15 PM »
a consensus is emerging that ali was overrated.