Author Topic: Beginning Snowboarding  (Read 1004 times)

outby43

• Getbig IV
  • Libertarians 2016
Beginning Snowboarding
« on: December 16, 2012, 12:26:06 AM »
If the weather ever gets cold enough I am going to try snowboarding.  I am fat, out of shape and 43.  What's the chances of permanent disability?

Seriously though is it very hard to get the hang of?  I have tried skiing once when I was 21 and had some major crashes.  Of course I didn't have any lessons and started on the advanced slope so I wouldn't appear to be a pussy..lol.

Alex23

• Getbig IV
  • Rely on knowledge.
Re: Beginning Snowboarding
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2012, 12:31:14 AM »
If the weather ever gets cold enough I am going to try snowboarding.  I am fat, out of shape and 43.  What's the chances of permanent disability?

Seriously though is it very hard to get the hang of?  I have tried skiing once when I was 21 and had some major crashes.  Of course I didn't have any lessons and started on the advanced slope so I wouldn't appear to be a pussy..lol.

Depends. Ever skateboarded or surf? Same principle.

Honestly worse thing that can happen is bruised glutes and hams, which makes Stevie Bleachmen sad but that's about it.
®

RJ DRIVER

• Getbig IV
  • I'm like a retard minus the strength
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2012, 12:12:07 PM »
You MUST buy wrist guards!!! With out them your life will be hell. Once you get the hang of it, it beats the hell out of skiing.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2012, 12:13:40 PM »

if your body is relatively symmetrical it's pretty safe and easy... but if you are right side heavy than you may want to wear a helmet

godeep

• Getbig II
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2012, 08:14:24 PM »
First tried it at 39 and in decent shape, both muscular-wise and cardio-wise. Decided to give it a go and get lessons with my teenage son and his friend. I rode skateboards quite a bit earlier in life and I found a lot of the movements were very similar. You start at the beginning by only strapping one foot in until you get the feel for it. It is absolutely nothing like skiing IMO, apart from the clothing and snow. Went again 2 more times since but I would like to do more lessons. The few small runs I did when I managed to stay upright were really fucking fun.

Fell nasty and spun my ankle so bad it hurt for weeks.

Probably going again over the xmas break.
l

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2012, 08:23:03 PM »
Try more fucking instead.
A

Big Chiro Flex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • FREE FOOZLE
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2012, 09:17:12 PM »
I was a snowboard instructor in Alaska all through high school (Alyeska Resort in Girdwood, Alaska). It's a blast once you get a hang of it.

My advice: pay for lessons at least for your first time. It's worth every penny and will speed up the learning curve and help you avoid injury as much as possible.

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2012, 03:18:09 AM »
Don't get much snow in good old England, but when we do I like to improvise. When I was around 15, I ripped the trucks of an old skateboard deck (I used to skate for years), screwed a block of wood at one end and proceeded to 'snowboard' down a huge hill near my house. I reaslised after a while that they make the real snowboards big and long, and put boots on them for a reason haha good times!

PJim

• Getbig IV
  • Strike another match, go start anew
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2012, 04:01:27 AM »
Don't get much snow in good old England, but when we do I like to improvise. When I was around 15, I ripped the trucks of an old skateboard deck (I used to skate for years), screwed a block of wood at one end and proceeded to 'snowboard' down a huge hill near my house. I reaslised after a while that they make the real snowboards big and long, and put boots on them for a reason haha good times!

Haha, done that many times  ;D

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2012, 04:44:09 AM »

Skiing is 'easier', which is why you don't see a lot of over-30 snowboarders.

Either way, be sure to check with your Obamacare provider to ensure adequate coverage before hitting the slopes.

Papper

• Getbig V
  • Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do.
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2012, 11:42:07 AM »
I learned to ski as a kid and also learned to snowboard okay in my twenties. Really tried to like it - and it is fun - but eventually went back to skiing later in life. It's "easier" to ski and to get around in lifts and flat surfaces with sticks and skies.

Take lessons and practice a lot! It's not fun until you are brave enough to lean forward and can do both front and back turns comfortably.

The injuries are not that bad if you limber and light

Slik

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2012, 11:59:49 AM »
What would grandpa do?