Author Topic: Greatest Rock Bands  (Read 18548 times)

Skeletor

• Getbig V
  • Silence you furry fool!
Re: Greatest Rock Bands
« Reply #150 on: August 22, 2013, 08:08:01 AM »
Elton John at 3, James Brown at 9, Bob Marley and Jackson 5 at 21 and 22  but Deep Purple at 51, AC/DC at 60, Jethro Tull at 73. Shit list.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #151 on: August 22, 2013, 09:03:50 AM »
Elton John at 3, James Brown at 9, Bob Marley and Jackson 5 at 21 and 22  but Deep Purple at 51, AC/DC at 60, Jethro Tull at 73. Shit list.

early elton was outstanding, when taupin was writing the lyrics to his tunes

by the late 70's his music went down the shitter

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
Re: .Led Zeppelin vs Rush.
« Reply #152 on: August 22, 2013, 09:32:02 AM »
Zep was great for the 10 or so years they were a band. Pioneers of the huge drum sound on tape and other guitar and vocal recording trickery. Yes, they ripped off some blues songs but their versions had character and energy and they added some things like Indian flavored scales and mystical lyrics. Lots of anthemic tunes but no gas left in the tank by '80. Page's band The Firm and Plant's 80s solo stuff is pretty good but none of it would have worked being called Zep. Masters of marketing for not getting back together. Big Zep fan but tired of hearing Whole Lotta Love and the other more common songs on the radio....just burnt out on them.

Rush? Now at it over 40 years, can still play the old prog stuff and are still making good music. Huge body of work. More original musicianship, more nuanced and intricate playing style and it can't be said enough that their lyrical content is about 30 IQ points higher than Zep lyrics. Are they better as far as being legend? Nope.

I can guarantee you that they could play every Zep song though...Zep couldn't play 90% of Rush tunes...

Pretty good stuff. Jimmy did add the Harmonic minor scale (and variations therof) when nobody else (except maybe Ritchie Blackmoree) had even attempted to listen or learn something less traditional. The Immigrant Song/ "Hammer of the Gods" live displays some of Jimmy's real talent.

Also, Jimmy stole the Theramin from a band you would never guess. Many bands followed suit, but Jimmy made its use mystical.

I would not go as far as to say that Zep could not play Rush tunes. I would just simply say that Zep would have absolutely no interest in even listening to Rush stuff. Two birds of a different feather.

It takes a certain kind of fan to appreciate Rush, and I haven't quite figured that one out yet. I've been playing guitar for over 40 years and I play everything under the sun. This means every type of music, not just rock, and every type of scale or mode that my ear can conceive.

Here's the thing, and I don't mean it in a bad way: I hate Rush, and I always have.

I believe than any truly accomplished musician can play anything he/she hears. If not, that would be like saying an ALMS Corvette race car driver couldn't drive a NASCAR.

Can you even imagine Zep playing Rush? It makes no sense. Actually, to me it makes less sense than ANY other band playing ANYONE else's shit.

Weird, huh?

Z Father

• Getbig III
« Reply #153 on: August 22, 2013, 10:08:06 AM »
Pretty good stuff. Jimmy did add the Harmonic minor scale (and variations therof) when nobody else (except maybe Ritchie Blackmoree) had even attempted to listen or learn something less traditional. The Immigrant Song/ "Hammer of the Gods" live displays some of Jimmy's real talent.

Also, Jimmy stole the Theramin from a band you would never guess. Many bands followed suit, but Jimmy made its use mystical.

I would not go as far as to say that Zep could not play Rush tunes. I would just simply say that Zep would have absolutely no interest in even listening to Rush stuff. Two birds of a different feather.

It takes a certain kind of fan to appreciate Rush, and I haven't quite figured that one out yet. I've been playing guitar for over 40 years and I play everything under the sun. This means every type of music, not just rock, and every type of scale or mode that my ear can conceive.

Here's the thing, and I don't mean it in a bad way: I hate Rush, and I always have.

I believe than any truly accomplished musician can play anything he/she hears. If not, that would be like saying an ALMS Corvette race car driver couldn't drive a NASCAR.

Can you even imagine Zep playing Rush? It makes no sense. Actually, to me it makes less sense than ANY other band playing ANYONE else's shit.

Weird, huh?

I believe the beach boys used the Theremin

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #154 on: August 22, 2013, 10:13:11 AM »
 ;)
F

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #155 on: August 22, 2013, 12:30:44 PM »

You got it.

The Theramin has quite a history. Pink Floyd used it also, but Jimmy used it like noone else could ever imagine. He made you believe that the  light and sound were eminating from his control and no other. Smart guy and way ahead of his time. Very creative.

Now we use things like the Fernandes Sustainer and such.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #156 on: August 22, 2013, 12:33:08 PM »

Pet Sounds is a great record.

Ronnie Rep

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #157 on: August 22, 2013, 01:34:02 PM »

Ronnie Rep

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #158 on: August 22, 2013, 01:47:04 PM »
You got it.

The Theramin has quite a history. Pink Floyd used it also, but Jimmy used it like noone else could ever imagine. He made you believe that the  light and sound were eminating from his control and no other. Smart guy and way ahead of his time. Very creative.

Now we use things like the Fernandes Sustainer and such.
Listen to Hawkwind they used it!

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #159 on: August 22, 2013, 02:01:19 PM »
Pet Sounds is a great record.

This album inspired the Beatles to take it to another level and the result was Sgt. Pepper.

Btw, this vid is close to a 10. From the way it's shot, with the fan just putting the cam on Schenker and leaving it there, to the performance, which is unreal.

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #160 on: August 22, 2013, 03:47:14 PM »
I actually have one too. You can buy it fairly cheap and just put it together yourself.

Theramin, Fernandes Sustainer, Ebow, Talk box, lots of toys...

Kwon_2

• Getbig V
  • Pretty sure he isn't in Ibiza getting the girls
« Reply #161 on: August 22, 2013, 03:50:27 PM »
Exorcist - Black Mass

Original Sin - Conjuration of the Wiggs

YngiweRhoads

• Getbig V
  • Shreddin'
« Reply #162 on: August 22, 2013, 06:07:07 PM »

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #163 on: August 22, 2013, 06:29:26 PM »
Pet Shop Boys

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #164 on: July 12, 2014, 12:21:25 PM »
http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/entertainment/20140712/US-Obit-Ramone/

Tommy Ramone, last of the Ramones, dies

Tommy Ramone, a co-founder of the seminal punk band the Ramones and the last surviving member of the original group, has died, a business associate said Saturday.

Dave Frey, who works for Ramones Productions and Silent Partner Management, confirmed that Ramone died on Friday. Frey didn't have additional details. Ramone was 65.

Tommy Ramone, a drummer, co-founded the Ramones in 1974 in New York along with singer Joey Ramone, bassist Dee Dee Ramone and guitarist Johnny Ramone. All four band members had different last names, but took the common name Ramone.

The band influenced a generation of rockers, and their hit songs "I Wanna Be Sedated," and "Blitzkrieg Bop," among others, earned them an induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2002.

Clad in leather jackets and long black mops of hair, the group of motley misfits started out in legendary New York clubs like CBGB and Max's Kansas City, where they blasted their rapid-fire songs.

Since its debut album in 1976, the band struggled for commercial success, but they left a formidable imprint on the rock genre. Though they never had a Top 40 song, the Ramones influenced scores of followers, including bands such as Green Day and Nirvana.

Even Bruce Springsteen was moved. After seeing the Ramones in Asbury Park, New Jersey, Springsteen wrote "Hungry Heart" for the band. His manager, however, swayed him to keep the song for himself and it became a hit single.

The Ramones' best-known songs reflected their twisted teen years in Queens: "Beat on the Brat," ''Now I Wanna Sniff Some Glue," ''Teenage Lobotomy," ''Sheena Is a Punk Rocker."

The Ramones disbanded in 1996 after a tour that followed their final studio album, "Adios Amigos." A live farewell tour album, "We're Outta Here!", was released in 1997.

Johnny Ramone, whose birth name was John Cummings, died in 2004 of prostate cancer. Joey Ramone, whose real name is Jeff Hyman, died in 2001 of lymphatic cancer. Dee Dee Ramone, whose real name is Douglas Colvin, died from a drug overdose in 2002. Tommy Ramone was born Erdelyi Tamas in Budapest, Hungary.