Author Topic: Does anybody here have experience with transport planning for a fleet of trucks?  (Read 851 times)

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
  • my love for ronnie will never die
i dont know the name of this job in english

but basically the person who plans all the transports for a transport company that has a fleet of trucks

this sounds like a challenging job, is it "fun?"

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
This is a big part of operations research / industrial engineering (What I'm doing my PhD in, but this is not my specific area of expertise).  Linear programming is a big part of it.  I know lots of people that work specifically in this field at least in the model development not in an actual company doing this job.

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
i asked a professor who teaches supply chain and logistic

he said you can learn this on the job but difficult and stressful (yet interesting)

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
Does huslin tonnes of cocaine count?

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
i asked a professor who teaches supply chain and logistic

he said you can learn this on the job but difficult and stressful (yet interesting)

Really depends what level of this you will be working on.  Its not a cake walk no, but its not impossible either, logic and common sense really come into play, and there are many softwares out there that are used by companies to aid in its development.  
Its stressful because many times you have a limited number of trucks in comparison to the destinations and number of jobs, and you are faced by certain constraints so you try to optimize it and set up a route that limits cost and time on the road.

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
Does huslin tonnes of cocaine count?
the materials are not relevant

i think the main factor is do you use your own trucks or an exterior transport company

and secondly how many trucks are you planning for

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
the materials are not relevant

i think the main factor is do you use your own trucks or an exterior transport company

and secondly how many trucks are you planning for

typically they have one with a little stash and hope they get caught.  It diverts the border patrol's focus on this truck while the others float through.  There is a secondary on the way to LA but by then they've switched out the cargo and nothing is found.  They look at about 20-50 trucks daily. Smaller loads so if they are caught the loss is insignificant.

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
typically they have one with a little stash and hope they get caught.  It diverts the border patrol's focus on this truck while the others float through.  There is a secondary on the way to LA but by then they've switched out the cargo and nothing is found.  They look at about 20-50 trucks daily. Smaller loads so if they are caught the loss is insignificant.
interesting

crime doesnt pay tho

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
interesting

crime doesnt pay tho

Oh yes it does.

anabolichalo

• Getbig V

DPump

• Getbig III
Really depends what level of this you will be working on.  Its not a cake walk no, but its not impossible either, logic and common sense really come into play, and there are many softwares out there that are used by companies to aid in its development.  
Its stressful because many times you have a limited number of trucks in comparison to the destinations and number of jobs, and you are faced by certain constraints so you try to optimize it and set up a route that limits cost and time on the road.

Very stressful, ur right Big Ach.     I did that as an outbound supervisor at UPS during college.     They usually try to fit 10lbs of shit in a 5lb sack and u have a limited nuber of trucks going everywhere.   Its very nerve racking job.   If u r higher up, u will have to constantly be getting the max output of people and equiptment making it a generally taxing job.    Not really fun

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
i dont know the name of this job in english

but basically the person who plans all the transports for a transport company that has a fleet of trucks

this sounds like a challenging job, is it "fun?"

I think you're talking about a dispatcher.
Generally fast paced and high pressure.
: