Author Topic: She survived Hitler and wants to warn America  (Read 4223 times)

Necrosis

• Getbig V
Re: She survived Hitler and wants to warn America
« Reply #50 on: December 24, 2012, 08:51:48 AM »
Everyone doesnt need a gun but if youre not a felon, mentally ill and you are of age why should you not be allowed to have one if you want one?

The problem isnt guns, guns are not inherintly evil.

You guys seem to jump right over the problem and focus on guns. If you dont address the problem at the root then it will simply find another way to manifest itself.

I disagree, the root you suggest is a one you cannot adress as you state. Mental illness affects one in three they are mostly chronic disorders and would be analgolous to having a medicine that causes death but instead of stopping the medicine you focus on curing cancer.  Illness will always be there, it is complex, more complex then guns, it is stimatized already. Most of these murderous people often have piss poor environments, perhaps we should focus on childcare too. They probably don't have any job prospects so let's focus on the economy also. The common denominator is guns, not mental health, sane people can act insane, not every disorder has adequete treatment and someone bullied and picked on all there lives could react with violence. The cause as you state is too nebulous.

there is a very very small subpopulation of those with schizophrenia, personality disorders that would ever do something like this, the vast majoirty of anxious, depressed people do not commit these acts. Pinpointing these individuals is impossible, while restricting gun access is not and frankly much easier with salutory benefits.

there is a reason countries similar to the states have eight times lower gun violence rates, it ain't because of better healthcare.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #51 on: December 24, 2012, 08:58:13 AM »
I disagree, the root you suggest is a one you cannot adress as you state. Mental illness affects one in three they are mostly chronic disorders and would be analgolous to having a medicine that causes death but instead of stopping the medicine you focus on curing cancer.  Illness will always be there, it is complex, more complex then guns, it is stimatized already. Most of these murderous people often have piss poor environments, perhaps we should focus on childcare too. They probably don't have any job prospects so let's focus on the economy also. The common denominator is guns, not mental health, sane people can act insane, not every disorder has adequete treatment and someone bullied and picked on all there lives could react with violence. The cause as you state is too nebulous.

there is a very very small subpopulation of those with schizophrenia, personality disorders that would ever do something like this, the vast majoirty of anxious, depressed people do not commit these acts. Pinpointing these individuals is impossible, while restricting gun access is not and frankly much easier with salutory benefits.

there is a reason countries similar to the states have eight times lower gun violence rates, it ain't because of better healthcare.
LOL the common denominator is not guns brain child its mental instability...so you believe that without guns these ppl wouldnt commit any acts that cause death?

if not then the common denominator isnt GUNS!!!

these ppl will find a way to kill others thats THEIR GOAL!!!

Taking away guns doesnt take away their goal...

Addressing the problem at the root is what will bring long lasting results. Taking away guns will simply result in them finding other ways to kill ppl.

The US is a very different country bro, different make up, different culture, different demographics.

For every country you point out for your argument I can point out one that supports mine that gun control doesnt stop these ppl.

There is a reason behind that as well....

Conker

• Getbig IV
  • looks like you went for the overcooked potato look
« Reply #52 on: December 24, 2012, 11:29:13 AM »

QFT!

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #53 on: December 24, 2012, 12:22:49 PM »

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #54 on: December 24, 2012, 12:56:41 PM »
::)

spend some more time reading the persons posts and then get back to me

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: December 24, 2012, 06:41:34 PM »
LOL the common denominator is not guns brain child its mental instability...so you believe that without guns these ppl wouldnt commit any acts that cause death?

if not then the common denominator isnt GUNS!!!

these ppl will find a way to kill others thats THEIR GOAL!!!

Taking away guns doesnt take away their goal...

Addressing the problem at the root is what will bring long lasting results. Taking away guns will simply result in them finding other ways to kill ppl.

The US is a very different country bro, different make up, different culture, different demographics.

For every country you point out for your argument I can point out one that supports mine that gun control doesnt stop these ppl.

There is a reason behind that as well....

again it's not like you imagine it to be, mental health issues are increasing at a rapid rate, not declining, removing unecessary killing tools from society seems apt. Proper structure, checks and balances need to be in place, America has 8 times the gun violence of similar first world countries and ranks close to many third world shit holes for gun violence.

As a doctor I understand quite well the impact of mental health, what I think you are missing is that mental illness does not contribute soley to this. You see, anxiety is a normal thing we all experience it, depression is as well, however, it is defined pathological when it is chronic (in the case of GAD for example) and interferes with life. The lover who just found his wife cheating and shoots up a mall, has no mental illness, no drug can stop that. Most anti-depressants take several weeks to take effect. So due to the complete unpredictable nature of something you believe to be simple and reductionist it will be a losing battle. Fits of rage, passion and losing ones cool/mind are as normal as 33 hating blacks, why don't we simply remove tools that can inflict massive damage from the picture, I'm sure it will have a better outcome treating away the sickness.

even in cases of no mental health issue, say the person who drinks to much or takes drugs, making guns easily accesible is just asking for horrendous outcomes.

You supposedly have the best healthcare in the world and very lax gun laws and have way higher numbers of gun related crimes then comparable countries with worse off healthcare yet you blame mental health?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #56 on: December 24, 2012, 07:12:17 PM »
I don't hate blacks.   I hate every group equally.