Author Topic: Gluten-free diet reduces adiposity, inflammation and insulin resistance  (Read 4434 times)

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
Abstract

Gluten exclusion (protein complex present in many cereals) has been proposed as an option for the prevention of diseases other than coeliac disease. However, the effects of gluten-free diets on obesity and its mechanisms of action have not been studied. Thus, our objective was to assess whether gluten exclusion can prevent adipose tissue expansion and its consequences. C57BL/6 mice were fed a high-fat diet containing 4.5% gluten (Control) or no gluten (GF). Body weight and adiposity gains, leukocyte rolling and adhesion, macrophage infiltration and cytokine production in adipose tissue were assessed. Blood lipid profiles, glycaemia, insulin resistance and adipokines were measured. Expression of the PPAR-α and γ, lipoprotein lipase (LPL), hormone sensitive lipase (HSL), carnitine palmitoyl acyltransferase-1 (CPT-1), insulin receptor, GLUT-4 and adipokines were assessed in epidydimal fat. Gluten-free animals showed a reduction in body weight gain and adiposity, without changes in food intake or lipid excretion. These results were associated with up-regulation of PPAR-α, LPL, HSL and CPT-1, which are related to lipolysis and fatty acid oxidation. There was an improvement in glucose homeostasis and pro-inflammatory profile-related overexpression of PPAR-γ. Moreover, intravital microscopy showed a lower number of adhered cells in the adipose tissue microvasculature. The overexpression of PPAR-γ is related to the increase of adiponectin and GLUT-4. Our data support the beneficial effects of gluten-free diets in reducing adiposity gain, inflammation and insulin resistance. The data suggests that diet gluten exclusion should be tested as a new dietary approach to prevent the development of obesity and metabolic disorders.

Copyright © 2012 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/23253599/

a_ahmed

• Getbig V
  • Team Nasser
Re: Gluten-free diet reduces adiposity, inflammation and insulin resistance
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2012, 03:19:40 PM »
So what sort of foods contain gluten.. I never quite understood this.

I watched one seminar by ben pakulski and he mentions how he's allergic to it. I believe I am allergic to milk... as I get insane shits, farts and diahera from heavy milk... not sure about gluten. When I was a kid I did an allergy test on skin and had no allergies... yet foods.. how does one identify which foods they are allergic to?

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2012, 03:34:47 PM »
So what sort of foods contain gluten.. I never quite understood this.

I watched one seminar by ben pakulski and he mentions how he's allergic to it. I believe I am allergic to milk... as I get insane shits, farts and diahera from heavy milk... not sure about gluten. When I was a kid I did an allergy test on skin and had no allergies... yet foods.. how does one identify which foods they are allergic to?

most milk allergies are to lactose. every adult is somewhat allergic... some more than others

gluten is a wheat protein and is found is a lot of different types of foods... based on personal testing i have a very mild gluten allergy while my wife's is more pronounced....

eliminating gluten from one's diet is tough to do (i did for 6 months)

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2012, 03:37:56 PM »
I wonder if its just the results if cutting overall cards as a result of eliminating gluten
A

a_ahmed

• Getbig V
  • Team Nasser
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2012, 04:28:12 PM »
can u tell me which foods have gluten?

I personally get bloated weird feeling from oats... but when i eat white rice i get bloated/fat fast... and i have unstable energy throughout the day.. when i eat brown rice on the other hand.. i have smooth energy throughout the day and no crashing or highs, etc.. just fullness.

Kind of trying to reshuffle my nutrition always for the better. Open to hear.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2012, 08:36:57 AM »
It seems that everybody - even those who are not clinically diagnosed with celiac disease or severe gluten allergies - benefits to a degree when abstaining from (or, at least reducing) gluten intake.
Some people are sensitive enough to suffer effects from cross-contamination of foods that may not contain gluten, themselves, but were processed with utensils/equipment that had prior contact with gluten-containing products.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2012, 09:46:17 AM »
It seems that everybody - even those who are not clinically diagnosed with celiac disease or severe gluten allergies - benefits to a degree when abstaining from (or, at least reducing) gluten intake.
Some people are sensitive enough to suffer effects from cross-contamination of foods that may not contain gluten, themselves, but were processed with utensils/equipment that had prior contact with gluten-containing products.

the more interesting articles i've read lately are focusing on gliadins (other wheat proteins) which can apparently cross the blood brain barrier and could be a factor in some brain diseases

Rudee

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2012, 10:01:48 PM »

I personally get bloated weird feeling from oats...

Oats don't contain gluten in their natural form.   Processed oats would likely contain some gluten though, even through cross contamination.  

Some people are sensitive to gluten though.  I know somebody who had nagging tendonitis for several years, and when he went on a gluten free diet, his tendonitis went away in a matter of a weeks.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2012, 02:35:51 AM »

Oats don't contain gluten in their natural form.   Processed oats would likely contain some gluten though, even through cross contamination.  

Some people are sensitive to gluten though.  I know somebody who had nagging tendonitis for several years, and when he went on a gluten free diet, his tendonitis went away in a matter of a weeks.

some people may notice a bloat from changes in fiber consumption (oats and all other grains are high in fiber)...

when eating a high-low-whatever level of fiber, consistency is the keep to have consistent digestion (poop)... variances in fiber (soluble, insoluble or total) are to blame for many cases of gastric distress (constipation, diarrhea, bloating, etc...)

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
:

DD Holland

• Getbig II
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2012, 11:08:53 AM »
In my city where trendy people thrive, seem to be taking on gluten free diets. It's such a fad although I know many people who report less headaches and such. living close to the mountains, weather related headaches are very common here. I'm not in any position to try this, seems to restrictive for my liking but if I suffered headaches like some others do, I may give it a whirl. PS A loaf of gluten free bread costs 9 dollars here. 9 DOLLARS!!!

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2012, 04:54:40 PM »
i eat a paelo-ish diet most of the time...

bread is rarely part of it

jdooly

• Getbig III
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2012, 05:22:18 PM »
I don't believe I have a gluten intolerence, however, after experimenting, my body feels better without it. I removed bread, cereal, basically all that stuff with flour/gluten.  I'll eat a piece of Ezekiel bread here and there but for the most part, I feel less bloated and less gas without the gluten.  To each his own.