Author Topic: is glutamine worth it?  (Read 5981 times)

tom joad

• Getbig V
is glutamine worth it?
« on: December 06, 2005, 01:33:13 PM »
Is supplementing with glutamine necessary or worth it?  All i've ever supplemented with are multivitamins, flaxseed oil & fish oil, whey protein (Designer), and creatine.  I'm now thinking about taking a little bit of glutamine both pre and post workout.  Do you think it'll make much (or any) difference or is supplemental glutamine just mainly magazine hype?  I'm very consistent with my diet which is 6-8 fairly clean high protein meals per day.

Blake

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
Re: is glutamine worth it?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2005, 01:53:48 PM »
IMO, no, it's not worth it.

Oh, and might I refer you to the "BCAA vs. Glutamine" thread that's lower down on this page.    ;D    ;)

tom joad

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2005, 02:01:40 PM »
Thanks for your opinion and for directing me to that thread below (which I somehow missed.)  Good lively discussion down there. 

muscle19

• Getbig IV
  • Lifes To Short To Be Small!!!
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2005, 05:53:29 PM »
honestly, if ueat enough throughout the day and reach optimal amounts of protein, u wont need glutamine, i experienced NO changes when i was using glutamine. u pick!

muscle
muscle

Blake

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2005, 05:59:17 PM »
honestly, if ueat enough throughout the day and reach optimal amounts of protein, u wont need glutamine, i experienced NO changes when i was using glutamine. u pick!

muscle

Well said.

Brutal_1

• Getbig V
  • Your best is...
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2005, 08:24:06 PM »
here we go again  ;D

just not good enough

Bear03

• Getbig IV
  • back in the swing of things
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2005, 08:41:12 PM »
I actually disagree here....I don't really like eating a whole bunch, i don't like the way it makes me feel and how time-consuming it is....on a moderate-to-low calorie diet, i really feel glutamine helps.
:-)

muscle19

• Getbig IV
  • Lifes To Short To Be Small!!!
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2005, 09:09:55 PM »
even on a low carb diet, i still dont think it is as effective as everyone thinks it is, yeah there have been studies and as a bb, it is one of the major components to a supplement routine but again from my own personal experience i still have not seen or noticed any changes from using it, even on a low carb/low cal diet, i kept my protein high enoughand added healthy fats which i think is all u need.

muscle
muscle

Blake

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2005, 10:20:36 PM »
I actually disagree here....I don't really like eating a whole bunch, i don't like the way it makes me feel and how time-consuming it is....on a moderate-to-low calorie diet, i really feel glutamine helps.

Helps with what?

BTW, I'm not going to argue or spark a massive debate.  I'm only curious in hearing your experience with it.   ;)

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2005, 01:40:12 AM »
from what i've understand there's no studies saying it works or has any effects. but there's people around that says it worked for them, and it's pretty cheap, so it might be worth giving it a try.
Z

Bear03

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2005, 07:49:01 AM »
Hey TJ is that supposed to be a Steinbeck or a Rage Against the Machine reference?

tom joad

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2005, 08:59:52 AM »
Hey TJ is that supposed to be a Steinbeck or a Rage Against the Machine reference?

I was thinking about Steinbeck's character in the Grapes of Wrath.  Coincidentally, i'm also a fan of Bruce Springsteen who wrote the song "The Ghost of Tom Joad."  And I dig the Rage cover version too.

Bear03

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2005, 03:01:54 PM »
Word, Grapes of Wrath is one of my favorite novels from my pre-english major life...i know too much now to revert back, though   :-\

I had forgotten the Rage thing was a cover, thanks.  Anyways buy glutamine.

Blake

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2005, 03:24:04 PM »
  Anyways buy glutamine.

>:(

Answer my question boy!!   ;D

I asked you yesterday how you feel glutamine helps.  Again, just curious.   :)

Sculpter

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2005, 03:39:34 PM »
If your taking glutamine & not noticing any benefits from it I would guess you are only taking 10 grams per day?If so you have to realise that if only taking say 5 grams pre & post workout (10 grams total) then a lot of that glutamine is being absorbed by the stomach lining & not being utilised as it should be.Back when I was training I did the recommended 5 grams pre & post workout & noticed nothing.Only when I upped the glutamine dosage above 20 grams per day (spread over 4 servings) did I start to realise results.

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2005, 05:37:18 PM »

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Time-Out in Dubai, India with Swampi the Cocksmith
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2005, 06:11:04 PM »
Is supplementing with glutamine necessary or worth it? 

No.
Ron: "I am lazy."

Brutal_1

• Getbig V
  • Your best is...
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2005, 07:55:02 PM »

Sure you want the opinion of an english major  ;D  ;)
just not good enough

Bear03

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2005, 12:39:10 PM »

Oh, sorry, i must've missed that.  I feel that glutamine helps, because I have, previously, dieted in two phases (as an experiment to assess the value of glutamine given that it is $20/month i could save if i didn't need it): one with glutamine, one without.  I pretty much kept the same diet and training regimen for each diet.  When I didn't take glutamine, I lost a horrendous amount of weight and my legs became toothpicks.  When i did take the glutamine, I retained some good size and also made minor strength gains (granted, i was also taking creatine).  Most importantly (at least to me) is the fact that when not taking glutamine I had what i will refer to as a perpetual cold, and for a span of several days had a bad fever.  When taking the glutamine, I was healthy as a horse, for the most part.  I have no doubt that to a certain degree a placebo effect was involved; after all, i had the praises of glutamine sung to me for quite some time.  Nevertheless, for me it has always been tremendously beneficial.  I never eat very much when i bulk, yet still make good progress when i am regularly taking glutamine.  I can't provide you with any scientific evidence as to the value of the supplement, but the experiences that i've shared are good enough for me to encourage the use of glutamine.  After all, it beats the hell out of these NO supplements and all this other fancy-schmancy stuff that's on the market these days.

bald

• Getbig IV
  • Squat Till You Puke!
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2005, 12:44:33 PM »
Probably not worth it, but better safe than sorry.  Its not going to hurt anything by taking it, I guess I would rather take to much than not enough.
W

Brutal_1

• Getbig V
  • Your best is...
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2005, 01:39:19 PM »
I guess I would rather take to much than not enough.

You just summed up the entire Bodybuilding psyche in one sentence, good job!! ;D
just not good enough

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2005, 07:53:03 PM »
Most importantly (at least to me) is the fact that when not taking glutamine I had what i will refer to as a perpetual cold, and for a span of several days had a bad fever.  When taking the glutamine, I was healthy as a horse, for the most part. 

Glutamine’s role in immune system support has been shown to prevent infections following intense exercise (which tends to reduce plasma glutamine levels). Glutamine has also been shown to play a role in counteracting the catabolic effects of stress hormones such as cortisol, which are typically elevated by strenuous exercise.

What other supps do you take (multi, C, etc.)?
:

Bear03

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2005, 07:57:08 PM »

Glutamine’s role in immune system support has been shown to prevent infections following intense exercise (which tends to reduce plasma glutamine levels). Glutamine has also been shown to play a role in counteracting the catabolic effects of stress hormones such as cortisol, which are typically elevated by strenuous exercise.

Multi, Creatine, whey, BCAAs, fish oil if i feel like dealing with fish-burps.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2005, 08:22:41 PM »

Multi, Creatine, whey, BCAAs, fish oil if i feel like dealing with fish-burps.

The reason I ask is because your immune system seems to be a little weak (glutamine shouldn't be the answer to that), so it might appear like your diet is lacking ....  Remember, as a bb'r, or someone who trains hard, you need more vitamins and minerals than the avg. person.  So taking (for instance) ONE multi (or what ever the label says) is probably not enough.

Fish burps can be helped by keeping them in the freezer, splitting the dose, taking them with food, taking them before bed, or switching brands.
:

Bear03

• Getbig IV
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2005, 06:56:27 AM »
Thanks Princess L.  I was just citing some examples.  My immune system is doing pretty well now, but when i was living in england, it was cold for a lot of the time and didn't get a whole lot sleep....and my diet was probably lacking as well.  Although i probably could stand to eat more fruit and veggies  :-[

Thanks for the advice about the fish oil, i've tried all of that except the freezer, i'll definitely give it a shot.  (Oh, and splitting dosages- i only take 1 g at a time anyway, and i have gelcaps).