Author Topic: What's the point of spending a lot of money on super powerful cars?  (Read 10117 times)

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
Re: What's the point of spending a lot of money on super powerful cars?
« Reply #50 on: December 28, 2012, 01:19:11 PM »
Plenty of people who'd jump right away into a luxury-fast car if given a chance, trying to reason why they "would not like to have one" in this thread. Quite an attempt to "justify" an UNability to own one of these, nothing more. I've yet to find a person who had a luxury-fast car and who'd say "A simple wehicle, that carries me from point A to poing B is what I want." lol.. Just fukkin admit that you can't afford these so you don't even dare to dream about 'em. While if you'd drive some of the current fast/expensive cars for a while you wouldn't ever look back (life is one - luxury stuff is luxury for a reason, usualy). Speed limits.. lol..
 One can live a life in a fukkin cave, warm themselves by burning wood and find food by gathering plants/hunting rabbits and wash their clothes in a river near by, and ride a horse, of course..

you combined luxury with fast.  But I am talking about people that pay double for the twin turbo version of the exact same car but will never in their lives use that twin turbo the way it was designed for.

da_vinci

• Getbig V
  • Cry me a river
« Reply #51 on: December 28, 2012, 01:21:46 PM »
impress other people, dominate, ridiculate them, cause it makes you feel better about yourself.

Truth to some extent too, obviously.
 Anyway, driving a really luxury wehicle is just a different experience of comfort. It may be safer too, in some cases. If you have to pass by someone who's slower on some bigger road and there are just two lines, one to one direction and another to another, you better be sure you car can get the speed well. Plenty of cases when people realize they won't be able to pass another car on time and crash front-to-front with a car that's coming from another direction.
 Just use the power wisely. Have fun when it's safe to have fun.

da_vinci

• Getbig V
  • Cry me a river
« Reply #52 on: December 28, 2012, 01:24:55 PM »
you combined luxury with fast.  But I am talking about people that pay double for the twin turbo version of the exact same car but will never in their lives use that twin turbo the way it was designed for.

Well yeah, maybe I overgeneralize. But if one could afford a Turbo S version of Cayenne, it's understandable why one would chose it, as it's just another level of power and experience of driving. That's why I say - experience of driving is needed as it may seem pointless, but it can be a very big pleasure irl. Once again - I don't talk about these who take a loan and starve themselves to be able to pay it.. That's simply a stupid decision, but stupidity may manifest in many other stuff too..

Oh, and one more thing: Depends on where you live TOO.

Yev33

• Getbig III
« Reply #53 on: December 28, 2012, 01:35:27 PM »
Plenty of people who'd jump right away into a luxury-fast car if given a chance, trying to reason why they "would not like to have one" in this thread. Quite an attempt to "justify" an UNability to own one of these, nothing more. I've yet to find a person who had a luxury-fast car and who'd say "A simple wehicle, that carries me from point A to poing B is what I want." lol.. Just fukkin admit that you can't afford these so you don't even dare to dream about 'em. While if you'd drive some of the current fast/expensive cars for a while you wouldn't ever look back (life is one - luxury stuff is luxury for a reason, usualy). Speed limits.. lol..
 One can live a life in a fukkin cave, warm themselves by burning wood and find food by gathering plants/hunting rabbits and wash their clothes in a river near by, and ride a horse, of course..
You are right to an extent, money is a major factor in this argument.
But I know plenty of people who can afford a luxury car and buy hondas and toyotas instead. Then on the flip side of the coin I know individuals that have way less mone y than the the first group and are buying mercedes', bmw's, and audi's. Because they are extremely insecure with their financial standing in society, this group makes up the larger portion of the people that drive luxury vehicles.  
Being able to buy one of these cars is a very far cry from actually being able to afford one.

JBGRAY

• Getbig IV
« Reply #54 on: December 28, 2012, 01:45:27 PM »
So for those who don't give a damn about what kind of car they drive, then I guess it doesn't what kind of house you live in either.  It has a roof and walls, some bedrooms, a bathroom or three.  Style and location doesn't matter, afterall.  Its just a house....just a place you go and sleep, take a shit, or eat at.

For many, a vehicle is the 2nd largest purchase you will make(behind a home).  Some of us do things with their vehicles beside going from Point A to Point B......we go to the track, go offroading, or hell.......street race.  We attend, or even compete in, car shows.  We may like to work on our own vehicles, and show our sons or daughters how to do so as well. 

Who really cares if someone lives in a cheap apartment but drives an AMG or M5?  It doesn't matter to me(or anyone else) whether they are trying to compensate for something they don't have or they simply have a different value system.  To me, people that drive Camrys or Volkswagons are people of severely limited imagination and personality. 

da_vinci

• Getbig V
  • Cry me a river
« Reply #55 on: December 28, 2012, 01:49:29 PM »
I'll just leave this here:

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #56 on: December 28, 2012, 02:04:25 PM »
at least in the USA there's not such thing as open roads without fucking cops all over the place.  99% of the time you aren't on open roads but on normal streets and congested freeways.  "driving" a fast car 30 miles and hour sucks ass.  That's my poing.
the Midwest. There are large swaths of land in the US where you won't see people for days, or even weeks. If you travel some of the open roads, man you won't see a cop forever.

kh300

• Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: December 28, 2012, 02:18:03 PM »
So for those who don't give a damn about what kind of car they drive, then I guess it doesn't what kind of house you live in either.  It has a roof and walls, some bedrooms, a bathroom or three.  Style and location doesn't matter, afterall.  Its just a house....just a place you go and sleep, take a shit, or eat at.

For many, a vehicle is the 2nd largest purchase you will make(behind a home).  Some of us do things with their vehicles beside going from Point A to Point B......we go to the track, go offroading, or hell.......street race.  We attend, or even compete in, car shows.  We may like to work on our own vehicles, and show our sons or daughters how to do so as well. 

Who really cares if someone lives in a cheap apartment but drives an AMG or M5?  It doesn't matter to me(or anyone else) whether they are trying to compensate for something they don't have or t

hey simply have a different value system.  To me, people that drive Camrys or Volkswagons are people of severely limited imagination and personality. 

I drive a piece of shit car. I live in a nice home. I spend roughly 20 minutes in my car a day. I spend about 10-12 hrs a day in my house.

People that say ''I take my car off roading or to the track'' are either stupid or full of shit. I take my motorcycle to the track, but I have to have a dedicated bike to do so. Why would I fuck up my street bike especially considering my insurance doesnt cover me at the track? I've seen it with my  own eyes at the race track. Guy crashes his car only to find out his insurance doesn't cover races or any event at a raceway.

Why would you take a car to a show then to a race track? I live in upstate NY and see all kinds of BMW and benzes sliding around in the snow. I know your so wealthy in your car but can't afford a Jeep in the winter. lol. Must suck to get towed every time it snows so you look good in the summer.

Yev33

• Getbig III
« Reply #58 on: December 28, 2012, 02:20:06 PM »
I'll just leave this here:

This is ironic. I actually work on these ( Audi's)  every day. Driven the new S8 many times , as well as the S6,S7, RS5, A8 W12, etc... Believe me, after a while the mystique wears off and it just becomes another car to you. Except for the old '03  RS6 that car is special, absolute automotive perfection.

Tony Doherty

• Expert
  • Getbig IV
  • Pro Promoter
« Reply #59 on: December 28, 2012, 02:25:22 PM »
It is all relative to what you can afford. Luxury cars definitely feel and handle better than cheap ones.

If you were super rich, like billions, would that change your minds?

If I had billions I would have a garage like Jay Leno. I would buy 2 of all my favorites so I could go driving with my good mates.

Aventadors, Veyrons, McLarens, you name it.

Sure, you got to be into cars to wants a collection but I'm sure if money were no object you would all drive at least the safest and most comfortable car you could.

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #60 on: December 28, 2012, 02:28:06 PM »
I drive a piece of shit car. I live in a nice home. I spend roughly 20 minutes in my car a day. I spend about 10-12 hrs a day in my house.

People that say ''I take my car off roading or to the track'' are either stupid or full of shit. I take my motorcycle to the track, but I have to have a dedicated bike to do so. Why would I fuck up my street bike especially considering my insurance doesnt cover me at the track? I've seen it with my  own eyes at the race track. Guy crashes his car only to find out his insurance doesn't cover races or any event at a raceway.

Why would you take a car to a show then to a race track? I live in upstate NY and see all kinds of BMW and benzes sliding around in the snow. I know your so wealthy in your car but can't afford a Jeep in the winter. lol. Must suck to get towed every time it snows so you look good in the summer.
dude who lives near me drives a 90s Honda Civic, but has a Duc 848 I think he made out in that deal.
Another guy had a Honda RC51 as a racebike, but drove some regular beater.
So, it kinda puts things in perspective---an expensive car will cost you, and so will the maintenance, or you drive a regular car, and have a decent place, and a sportbike that goes faster than 99.9% of fast cars.

Yev33

• Getbig III
« Reply #61 on: December 28, 2012, 02:37:46 PM »
The amount of people that drive performance an luxury cars vs the amount of people that can actually take advantage of everything that the car offers is probably 20 to 1. If you are buying a 500hp car and don't have the skill or ability to push and control all that power to it's designed potential. What is the point?

Why would anyone buy a luxury vehicle with all of the latest technological gadgets and not spend time looking at the owner's manual to see how they work and what they can do?
Happens 95% of the time, I would say 99% but I am being generous here.

Griffith

• Getbig V
« Reply #62 on: December 28, 2012, 02:40:58 PM »
For the SAME price I would rather drive a top of the line BMW or Audi or something like that.

Tony Doherty

• Expert
  • Getbig IV
  • Pro Promoter
« Reply #63 on: December 28, 2012, 02:51:08 PM »

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: December 28, 2012, 02:52:33 PM »
Hey parker, did you see my truck?

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=453173.0
yeah, you should sent in a pic to Jalopnik, I was going to do it...

Tony Doherty

• Expert
  • Getbig IV
  • Pro Promoter
« Reply #65 on: December 28, 2012, 03:07:46 PM »
yeah, you should sent in a pic to Jalopnik, I was going to do it...

Go ahead, I would be honored. Send me the link if they put it up.

BTW Your car threads are probably my favorite feature on getbig.

James28

• Getbig V
  • toilet roll of peace
« Reply #66 on: December 28, 2012, 03:16:59 PM »

It's not true for everyone. I've driven my boss's GT3. My bro's pal had an M5 before his business tanked which I also drove. I've been in a Doge SRT-10 (not drove). Inside an A8 (passenger) and a few Ferrari's. While they were all nice enough cars, I just didn't nor do I now feel a desire to ever own one. It's just not an interest. My eyes glaze over when car talk starts in most conversations. I just have zero interest.

sancho ed

• Getbig III
« Reply #67 on: December 28, 2012, 03:40:29 PM »
hey some people like to spend money on the juice, others on the whores, vacations.....whats wrong with spending on a pimp ride? if you got the money....fuck it! whatever makes you happy. I have the feeling most of you are bitter about it cause, plain and simple, you have to settle for the hyundai instead of the benz!

James28

• Getbig V
  • toilet roll of peace
« Reply #68 on: December 28, 2012, 04:09:35 PM »
hey some people like to spend money on the juice, others on the whores, vacations.....whats wrong with spending on a pimp ride? if you got the money....fuck it! whatever makes you happy. I have the feeling most of you are bitter about it cause, plain and simple, you have to settle for the hyundai instead of the benz!

Yes, whatever makes YOU happy. Some people cannot handle that you have fuck all interest in their hobbies or interests and then proceed to call you 'jealous'. No, I just don't give a fuck about <insert whatever floats your boat here>

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #69 on: December 28, 2012, 04:24:05 PM »

Try again, loser.  I have no interest in owning a sports car. In fact, if I was going to buy a really nice car, I would rather have a car that is pure luxury. Stupid modified cars, or cars that go 100mph in under 5 seconds is of absolute no interest in me. I am not a car guy. I look at them and do not see the point, especially if you're driving just to work every day.
X

JBGRAY

• Getbig IV
« Reply #70 on: December 28, 2012, 04:26:06 PM »

Many of us live in areas where we don't have to put up with shitty winters.  I've yet to see snow in South Florida.  I've taken my car to the track, driven it for groceries, wash it, then take it to a car show(I don't win, but just like to hang out, or just say I competed.)  If it is raining out, I drive my H2 or Ram.  And hey, if I crash it at the track, then...it comes out of my pocket.

But yea, I see ur point, esp. in winter.  Down here, I sure as fuck ain't going to drive my '77 Corvette in a downpour.

BILL ANVIL

• Getbig IV
« Reply #71 on: December 28, 2012, 04:43:28 PM »
If you have one of these for the power and or extreme handling you quickly realize how rarely you get to use it.
Just as previously stated, there are speed limits and traffic congestion that prevent you from using even a 1/3 of the available power most of the time.
So you end up driving it maybe 1000 miles a year. So now you have a vehicle in your garage that you barely drive, and have a second car that you end up driving 90% of the time. Now this isn't an issue provided you have 2 things:

1. a garage big enough to keep your toy and still serve as a garage for your household needs.
2. enough income that you can afford to have a large chunk of money tied up in something that you rarely use.

Now if you have one of these because you like the attention,  I would not even attempt to reason with you or explain things logically. You are an attention whore with emotional issues and you can't reason with emotions.

haha! the depressing truth but good post

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #72 on: December 28, 2012, 05:12:48 PM »
Nothing wrong with spending a few bucks spoiling yourself with a nice car. I would spend a decent chunk on a nice luxury SUV such as a nice Porsche or Mercedes and keep it nice. Like I said, I drive a pick up that's paid for, and my wife has a Highlander that's paid for, but I wouldn't mind a nice luxury car. My truck will always be paid for, and I'm pretty smart with my money, so splurging a bit on a car once or twice in my life is not something I'd lose sleep over. Now, could I not afford it, I definately wouldn't do it, which is why I may wait three or so years until my second kid.

da_vinci

• Getbig V
  • Cry me a river
« Reply #73 on: December 29, 2012, 04:50:29 AM »
This is ironic. I actually work on these ( Audi's)  every day. Driven the new S8 many times , as well as the S6,S7, RS5, A8 W12, etc... Believe me, after a while the mystique wears off and it just becomes another car to you. Except for the old '03  RS6 that car is special, absolute automotive perfection.

I don't need to believe anything, I've been driving various good cars for quite some time too (a8 currently, one generation older tho'). It does NOT wear off, at least not for me. It's very good feeling to drive a luxury car everytime.. In the longer trip one appreciates that especially (or when you want to kick down the pedal to the metal.. It's a nice rush every time..). It's not like the first time you get to drive one of these after you've been driving some kind of a cheap wehicle, but it's still very nice. I'm sure you know the feeling when you have to drive some kind of a lower class car after the good one.. It's a day and night.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #74 on: December 29, 2012, 04:54:10 AM »
i drive a grand caravan