Author Topic: Is it the new Douchebag trend to not touch the chest in Bench Press?  (Read 18908 times)

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
 ???

Is it the new Douchebag trend to not touch the chest in Bench Press?

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
Re: Is it the new Douchebag trend to not touch the chest in Bench Press?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 08:04:28 AM »
I personally believe people who don`t touch the chest do so because they would be forced to lower the weight perhaps. 

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 08:05:19 AM »

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2012, 08:06:50 AM »
ROFLMAO

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2012, 08:08:37 AM »

Master Blaster

• Getbig V
  • Not sure if getbig full of trolls or trolls getbig
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2012, 08:11:40 AM »
What is the perfect "zone" in which to not touch ones chest? How do we "blast" this area to force our pecs into shocking new growth?

affeman

• Getbig V
  • Rusty Trombone looks like an abortion in a thong
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2012, 08:12:26 AM »
I personally believe people who don`t touch the chest do so because they would be forced to lower the weight perhaps. 

Not necesseraly. Sometimes staying 2-3 inches away from the chest helps big time keeping constant tension on the chest.

Of course it depends on your proportions, arm to torso length etc., but for a lotta guys going all the way down to your chest means shoulders and lats are taking over and you lose the tension from your chest.

Give it a try. On the smith machine I always stop a few inches short of the chest, feel working my pecs a 100 times better than going all the way down.

dan18

• Getbig V
  • I DID WHAT I DID BECAUSE I DO WHAT I WANT.
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2012, 08:13:31 AM »
???

well when you get a chest let us know how its done
p

dan18

• Getbig V
  • I DID WHAT I DID BECAUSE I DO WHAT I WANT.
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2012, 08:14:18 AM »
Not necesseraly. Sometimes staying 2-3 inches away from the chest helps big time keeping constant tension on the chest.

Of course it depends on your proportions, arm to torso length etc., but for a lotta guys going all the way down to your chest means shoulders and lats are taking over and you lose the tension from your chest.

Give it a try. On the smith machine I always stop a few inches short of the chest, feel working my pecs a 100 times better than going all the way down.
x10
p

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2012, 08:14:27 AM »
Bottom 1/3 of bench press = mainly chest with some triceps

Middle 1/3 a bit of everything but mainly shoulders and chest

Top 1/3 mainly triceps and some shoulders

The True Adonis

• Getbig V

affeman

• Getbig V
  • Rusty Trombone looks like an abortion in a thong

G_Thang

• Getbig V
  • The World South of the USA isnt for pussies!
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2012, 08:24:39 AM »
???

::)

if you aren't on the end of a lucrative athletic contract, then why touch the chest?  i think we went over possible pec tears with bob chick, who doesn't even do flat bench anymore.  i have great chest developed, and havent let the bar over-extend my pecs in years.  

Whiskey

• Getbig III
  • Team Billy Of Peace
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2012, 08:26:21 AM »
???

Honestly, this is why I love the deadlift so much, you can either pick it up or you cant, forget these half ego reps, deadlift = true test of a persons strength, that or the clean and press.

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2012, 08:31:47 AM »
Bodybuilders get pec tears because on gear their muscles get too strong for their tendons which do not develop strength so quickly.

It is not dangerous to bench to the chest at all

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2012, 08:33:53 AM »
::)

if you aren't on the end of a lucrative athletic contract, then why touch the chest?  i think we went over possible pec tears with bob chick, who doesn't even do flat bench anymore.  i have great chest developed, and havent let the bar over-extend my pecs in years.  
???

A couple of posts up someone claimed it creates constant tension on the chest.  Now you are telling us it prevents Pec Tears because its easier and takes the tension off the chest?   ???

B_B_C

• Getbig IV
  • change is the lot of all
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2012, 08:34:35 AM »
Some people need to distinguish between the bar almost touching the chest and the bar bouncing off the chest - for most people the former is training and the latter is faux machismo
c

Whiskey

• Getbig III
  • Team Billy Of Peace
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2012, 08:45:05 AM »
Some people need to distinguish between the bar almost touching the chest and the bar bouncing off the chest - for most people the former is training and the latter is faux machismo

Sure, good point but if you re doing a full ROM on every other exercise why would nt you do a full ROM on a bench press?

I believe most people think the more you bench the stronger you are, thats why you ll often hear the question "How much do you bench?"
they will add more weight and decrease ROM to look strong NOT because they think it works their pectorals better.

I like to ask people "What do you deadlift?"  usually its followed by a "oh, I have a lower back problem"

I have nothing against the Bench press, in fact its the only chest exercise I do.

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2012, 08:47:25 AM »
ROFLMAO

Epic using 35lb plates to make yourself look more impressive. Now, to the topic of discussion, if it doesn't touch your chest it doesn't count. I always touch my chest with the barbell. Control the weight and avoid injury.

Eric2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2012, 08:50:04 AM »
when I was after increases in both size and strength in the bench pres i did the following. 1st i learned to never use a spotter, you never really know if he is doing some of the work for you, and if so how much in each and every set. So i decided the only way was to use the power rack. using one of these you can safely perform your workout with out the need from an unreliable spotter. (some guys use spotters just to get attention from others in the gym)
   Set the pins or bars preferably so that when the bar is lowered it actually compresses your chest just a little. Next after you have fully and slowly stretched and drawn blood into your muscles( i found that seated cable rows or bent over bbell rows works well) get under the bar lower it to the bar pins and stop. completely relax your muscles and your posture, then reset your posture grip the bar with all our might and ram the weight up with out hyper extending your elbows and slowly lower to the start position. Notice i said start position, which is in the bottom phase at your chest. doing so will force your true strength to move the weight with no momentum or kinetic energy. do every rep in this fashion, you will find that at first that you will have to use less weight than b4. however do this only once a week and you will see serious natural gains like never b4.
   i was in a sticky point stuck at bench max of 380. i did this routine for a little over 12 weeks and was able to do a 1rm of 445 naturally.

h

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2012, 08:54:49 AM »
This half-rep nonsense and constant tension nonsense really only started to happen within the last few years. Back in the 50s, 60s and 70s, they mainly used a full ROM on everything. Now guys like Cutler, Jason Huh, do quarter reps because they are lazy. You can get away with being lazy when youre pumping that many drugs in your body. Guys back then used legs drugs, trained harder, full ROM, and looked more impressive.
X

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2012, 08:56:23 AM »
when I was after increases in both size and strength in the bench pres i did the following. 1st i learned to never use a spotter, you never really know if he is doing some of the work for you, and if so how much in each and every set. So i decided the only way was to use the power rack. using one of these you can safely perform your workout with out the need from an unreliable spotter. (some guys use spotters just to get attention from others in the gym)
   Set the pins or bars preferably so that when the bar is lowered it actually compresses your chest just a little. Next after you have fully and slowly stretched and drawn blood into your muscles( i found that seated cable rows or bent over bbell rows works well) get under the bar lower it to the bar pins and stop. completely relax your muscles and your posture, then reset your posture grip the bar with all our might and ram the weight up with out hyper extending your elbows and slowly lower to the start position. Notice i said start position, which is in the bottom phase at your chest. doing so will force your true strength to move the weight with no momentum or kinetic energy. do every rep in this fashion, you will find that at first that you will have to use less weight than b4. however do this only once a week and you will see serious natural gains like never b4.
   i was in a sticky point stuck at bench max of 380. i did this routine for a little over 12 weeks and was able to do a 1rm of 445 naturally.

I may have to try this.  Also, what do you mean by avoid hyper extending your elbows?  My arms are extremely long and I find that I simply cannot keep elbows in no matter what.  If I do keep them in, my bench is much, much weaker and the entire movement I feel in my forearms and pretty much nowhere else.  

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • significantly cheaper and federally legal
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2012, 08:57:25 AM »
What is the perfect "zone" in which to not touch ones chest? How do we "blast" this area to force our pecs into shocking new growth?

x2 these are the secrets of the pros

simon

• Getbig III
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2012, 08:57:35 AM »
you don't touch your chest to floor for a push up do you?  

keep the bar 2-3" inches from touching the chest and an inch or 2 from locking out.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2012, 08:57:46 AM »
This half-rep nonsense and constant tension nonsense really only started to happen within the last few years. Back in the 50s, 60s and 70s, they mainly used a full ROM on everything. Now guys like Cutler, Jason Huh, do quarter reps because they are lazy. You can get away with being lazy when youre pumping that many drugs in your body. Guys back then used legs drugs, trained harder, full ROM, and looked more impressive.
Yah, thats my feeling to.  Watch that video with Genova.  That kid is a mess and is nothing but all drugs.