Author Topic: Pre and Post-workout calories  (Read 3903 times)

Painlayer69

• Getbig III
Pre and Post-workout calories
« on: December 29, 2012, 01:52:22 PM »
So i think im good with my protein ( i take 50-60gms before and about the same if not more post workout but the one thing im concerned about is the carbs ESPECIALLY post workout.

How many carbs is good post workout for trying to gain muscle size? and how many carbs in a day should one take in if trying to gain muscle?

Thx

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
Re: Pre and Post-workout calories
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 03:10:40 PM »
Hey, where have you been hiding?
How have you been, brother?

In answer to your question, you'll probably get a variety of answers. I suggest indentifying your carb-tolerance. You can do that by identifying how your body responds to carbs in terms of types, amounts, and timing. Some folks can effectively handle more than others.

IMO, fast-acting carbs are best used around workouts. Some trainers prefer to take them during or after their gym session. I've gotten my best results consuming about 50g of dextrose just before beginning. This way, my blood is "loaded" with good stuff to feed my muscles while I train. Poliquin refers to this as "peri-workout" nutrition. Milos and Dorian advocate similar ideas. Training is about the only time during the day that I take in simple carbs when in serious training mode. Outside of that, I don't need many carbs to grow and/or maintain. Too much of even complex/"good" carbs just makes me look sloppy.

That said, some people can eat more carbs than most without issue. But, for most, reducing carbs is a very effective way to reduce fat. I suggest experimenting some. Try starting with the minimum: simple carbs at workout time, with maybe 50-100g more throughout the day. If you feel you need more, then gradually introduce small increases until you find a good amount for your goals.

As with most aspects of training and nutrition, carb intake is an individual thing that prohibits the accuracy of blanket statements.

Painlayer69

• Getbig III
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 03:52:46 PM »
Hey man ive just been working and working out and havent has time To get on in awhile. Thx for the advice, how have u been?

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2012, 07:10:06 PM »
...how have u been?

Somewhere between bad and well.

I took a few weeks off from training and dieting to immerse myself in the holidays and working lots of extra hours. I'll spend the next two weeks getting back into the swing of things, and hopefully make it out hunting with my Dad one or two more times as well.

Painlayer69

• Getbig III
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 10:33:12 AM »
Hell sounds good to me. Ive been off from training myself as i suffered a sprained wrist 2 weeks ago and its just now starting to heal. Today is my first chest day in a few weeks now

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2012, 11:51:03 AM »
Hell sounds good to me. Ive been off from training myself as i suffered a sprained wrist 2 weeks ago and its just now starting to heal. Today is my first chest day in a few weeks now

I often find it difficult to eat "right" when I'm not training with regular and serious intent. Then, the first few weeks after a layoff can feel like you're a noob to resistance training; what with the insane DOMS and the way you struggle to do only a percentage of what you'd been doing leading up to that.

Fortunately, it all comes back rather quickly. And, the improved feeling you get from regaining your conditioning and eating healthy again becomes rewarding and addicting, making you glad to embrace the work.

Have you been working in the ring at all?

Painlayer69

• Getbig III
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2012, 12:09:49 PM »

Have you been working in the ring at all?

No lol unfortunately with me having that back fusion almost three years ago now i have little choice in not being able to do any ring work nowadays. i tried to bench a bit the other day and was very surprised in how much less weight i could handle even after only a 1 1/2 week layoff, Im still very eager to get back to training tho as its time to get serious again

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2012, 03:34:46 PM »
No lol unfortunately with me having that back fusion almost three years ago now i have little choice in not being able to do any ring work nowadays. i tried to bench a bit the other day and was very surprised in how much less weight i could handle even after only a 1 1/2 week layoff, Im still very eager to get back to training tho as its time to get serious again

Good luck, bro!!

Painlayer69

• Getbig III
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2013, 05:53:47 AM »
thx!!

Painlayer69

• Getbig III
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2013, 02:18:01 PM »
ok so how many calories are required to grow? i can break down carbs protein and fat from this on my own i think