Author Topic: Cottage cheese lovers -- make your own?  (Read 11637 times)

a_ahmed

• Getbig V
  • Team Nasser
Cottage cheese lovers -- make your own?
« on: December 30, 2012, 08:38:59 PM »
I love cottage cheese, my grandmother used to make it even.

That being said quality organic cottage cheese with the lowest fat and lowest/no sugar costs an arm and a leg. Prices have been going up on food over the years here in north america almost on a daliy basis.. it's ridiculous, some things we would buy commonly have become ridiculously over priced... And to make matters worse I can eat an entire tub in one sitting by myself... I love cottage cheese that much and never tire of it. The chunky and wet type is awesome.

My dad gave me the idea, maybe we could make it? My mother's mother used to make it regularly, but they are in Europe :) My dad's mom made it a few times but again in Europe.

Anyone have any legit how to make quality cottage cheese that's low in fat and low/no sugar but high in protein at home?... in larger quantities :)

a_ahmed

• Getbig V
  • Team Nasser
Re: Cottage cheese lovers -- make your own?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 08:40:41 PM »
This looks cool but mentions 'raw milk' eh that's even illegal now in north america frickin stupid...

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 08:46:29 PM »
Anyone have any legit how to make quality cottage cheese that's low in fat and low/no sugar but high in protein at home?... in larger quantities :)

Apparently cottage cheese is really easy to make. Here is a link to a recipe that I found: http://www.savvyhousekeeping.com/how-to-make-cottage-cheese/.

a_ahmed

• Getbig V
  • Team Nasser
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 08:54:55 PM »
Thanks bro

I was just youtubing and googling seems like raw milk is ideal to be used (makes total sense natural) but stupid government in US and Canada have made it illegal... can't believe this crap... I'm pissed lol...

I guess this is something I'd benefit of doing in Europe at my grandparents farm and not here in north america... I feel sad lol.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 08:57:35 PM »
Thanks bro

I was just youtubing and googling seems like raw milk is ideal to be used (makes total sense natural) but stupid government in US and Canada have made it illegal... can't believe this crap... I'm pissed lol...

I bet you could buy it from a local farmer. However, I thought you wanted low fat cottage cheese. If you buy raw milk, you will need to pour the fat off the top.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2012, 02:59:22 AM »
you can buy the raw milk from a lot of local farmers (especially organic farmers)... in canada it is a tolerated practice... in the US several states have made examples of farmers by arresting them

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2012, 05:14:55 AM »
I was going to post something, but then I thought that would just be cruel,
...so never mind. carry on.  ;)
w

TrueBB93

• Getbig III
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2012, 03:34:11 PM »
my mother makes this stuff, really good.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2012, 03:42:22 PM »
Unless they've changed the rules again, there are U.S. states that allow the sale and import of raw milk: http://www.westonaprice.org/press/fda-concedes-raw-milk-across-state-lines-ok-for-personal-consumption

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2012, 04:32:05 PM »
Unless they've changed the rules again, there are U.S. states that allow the sale and import of raw milk: http://www.westonaprice.org/press/fda-concedes-raw-milk-across-state-lines-ok-for-personal-consumption

I think they keep going back & forth in the courts.  For now, at least here in the dairy state, it's ok I think.  I seem to recall some big ta-doo over it this summer...

Recent news:

http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/340142
:

a_ahmed

• Getbig V
  • Team Nasser
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2012, 06:17:50 PM »
I bet you could buy it from a local farmer. However, I thought you wanted low fat cottage cheese. If you buy raw milk, you will need to pour the fat off the top.

Isn't that the whole deal though, the fat gets drained in some process while using the natural raw milk.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2012, 08:55:32 PM »
Isn't that the whole deal though, the fat gets drained in some process while using the natural raw milk.

I don't know, having never made cottage cheese. When you buy cottage cheese, you can choose between regular, low fat and no fat cottage cheese. Beware though, low fat and no fat cottage cheese is usually much higher in sodium.

We do like our foods flavorful. There are a couple of ways to accomplish this, one is adding salt, another is a higher fat content and lastly by adding a sweetener, such as sugar. Unfortunately, none of these are great choices. A lot of people think they are doing the right thing by cutting out fats when usually they are just replaced with sugars. You have to ask yourself, am I better off consuming corn syrup or a little fat. Coffee creamer is a good example of this. With half and half you get fats. While with Coffee Mate, you get corn syrup. Personally, I'd go for the fats. Really, ask yourself how much fat can there be in a tablespoon of half and half? When I am feeling decadent, I use whipping cream in my coffee. By the way, putting anything in your coffee makes it taste good, but also makes it less healthy. If you want to be a purist drink your coffee black.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2012, 11:45:12 PM »

I've never made cottage cheese, but the few recipes I looked at, they all called for skim milk ~ basically all the same recipe & process.  I've made plenty of "Greek style" yogurt and you can use any fat level milk.  The fat doesn't get strained out ~ only the whey (liquid).  I would suspect the same with cottage cheese, but then again, I couldn't find a full fat or 2% fat recipe.  This is the recipe I wouldn't hesitate making ~ Alton's recipes are always tried & true.  You can never really go wrong with any of his recipes.  If using full fat milk was a good idea, he'd be the first to say so.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/quick-cottage-cheese-recipe/index.html
:

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
Re: Cottage cheese lovers -- Recipe for whole milk cottage cheese
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2013, 12:20:40 AM »
 How to Make Cottage Cheese

If you can't find whole milk cottage cheese in the store, you can easily make it yourself with organic whole milk and other organic ingredients. This simple recipe for cottage cheese uses vinegar to help separate the curds and whey. Be sure to use organic vinegar. Apple cider vinegar leaves a stronger taste than the traditional white vinegar, but it is organic. Experiment with different vinegars or even lemon juice.

Ingredients:

1 gallon of organic whole milk
    3/4 cup organic cider vinegar
    Salt
    Heavy cream

Instructions:

Warm the milk in a heavy pot until it reaches 120 degrees.
    Add vinegar and remove from heat.
    Allow to stand for 30 minutes.
    After the 30 minutes the curds and whey should be separated. If they are not, you can let it sit awhile longer.
    Line a colander with cheesecloth and carefully pour the curds into the cheesecloth, allowing the whey to drain off.
    When all the whey is gone, wrap the cheese in cheesecloth and rinse with cold water for several minutes.
    Gently squeeze the cheesecloth so that all the cheese is rinsed.
    Dump into a bowl and add a little salt and heavy cream.
    Refrigerate. This recipe makes about 2 ½ cups of cottage cheese.

Note: If you cannot find organic whole milk or don't care if the milk is organic, you should be able to use any whole milk brand.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2013, 02:36:01 AM »
This sounds easy but messy and time consuming.

I'm going to keep buying the premade stuff.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2013, 04:55:35 AM »
This sounds easy but messy and time consuming.

I'm going to keep buying the premade stuff.

Easy, yes. Time consuming, yes.  Messy, eh ~ not too bad. Similar to making yogurt.  What I find so discouraging is all the whey (nutrients?) left over and then what do you do with it?  A gallon of milk doesn't yield much product as an end result.
:

L00n

• Getbig IV
  • Bulgaria
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2013, 05:11:36 AM »
pretty cheap around here, i personally eat lots of it.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2013, 07:46:57 AM »
Easy, yes. Time consuming, yes.  Messy, eh ~ not too bad. Similar to making yogurt.  What I find so discouraging is all the whey (nutrients?) left over and then what do you do with it?  A gallon of milk doesn't yield much product as an end result.

huh... what would the advantage of making it be?

i can buy a half liter (about a pint) for under $2

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2013, 08:18:21 AM »
huh... what would the advantage of making it be?

i can buy a half liter (about a pint) for under $2

That's what I'm saying.  Not much of an advantage unless you want the satisfaction of saying you made it yourself; it's pretty easy.  But then what do you do with all the liquid whey that remains?
:

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2013, 08:28:19 AM »
But then what do you do with all the liquid whey that remains?

What the hell do you mean, "what do you do with it?"

BOTTOMS UP, BABY!!!

;D

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2013, 09:17:17 AM »

What the hell do you mean, "what do you do with it?"

BOTTOMS UP, BABY!!!

;D

gonna taste pretty sour...

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2013, 09:26:29 AM »

gonna taste pretty sour...

Bullshit!
If "Little Miss Muffet" can handle it...

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2013, 09:37:51 AM »

Bullshit!
If "Little Miss Muffet" can handle it...

there's a little bit of little miss muffet in each of us...

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2013, 04:55:43 PM »
I love cottage cheese, my grandmother used to make it even.

That being said quality organic cottage cheese with the lowest fat and lowest/no sugar costs an arm and a leg. Prices have been going up on food over the years here in north america almost on a daliy basis.. it's ridiculous, some things we would buy commonly have become ridiculously over priced... And to make matters worse I can eat an entire tub in one sitting by myself... I love cottage cheese that much and never tire of it. The chunky and wet type is awesome.

My dad gave me the idea, maybe we could make it? My mother's mother used to make it regularly, but they are in Europe :) My dad's mom made it a few times but again in Europe.

I love it, but I can't handle dairy.  Wish I could make it with Almond Milk (no homo).  :(

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2013, 06:30:29 PM »
I love it, but I can't handle dairy.  Wish I could make it with Almond Milk (no homo).  :(

almond milk is milk... i make my own (the commercial stuff is full of junk)

making your own is easy... i use the bullet (google a simple recipe)