Author Topic: Has anyone here been part of starting a business community.  (Read 1089 times)

MikMaq

Has anyone here been part of starting a business community.
« on: December 31, 2012, 07:41:36 AM »
I don't even know if community is the right word.

What I mean is if someone creates a gym, a friend creates a health bar on top of it, while another creates a sports clothing store.
what is this called.

Yes I do have friends right now that are trying to set up this type of thing.

Any knowledge of setting up a business would be useful.

hrspwr1

• Getbig III
  • flirtin with disaster everyday
Re: Has anyone here been part of starting a business community.
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 08:23:36 AM »
thats called fucking up, or too many chiefs and not enough indians. one guy creates an overall plan will multiple dimensions and revenue streams and hires the sharpest people he can find to manage individual departments.

hrspwr1

• Getbig III
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 08:41:25 AM »
ha,  :D  I should open a planet fitness in a strip mall with a dominos pizza and dunkin donuts on each side.

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 08:48:20 AM »
Cross marketing?  This could be some of the best way for you to get business.  Doesnt even have to be at the health bar right above you.  Can be in the same area or whatever.  Maybe leave flyers for your gym at the health bar and do the same for the businesses that do it for you.  You can even work a deal that for every new member they send you and that signs up, they get a small cut of the sale.

affeman

• Getbig V
  • Rusty Trombone looks like an abortion in a thong
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2012, 09:07:45 AM »
ha,  :D  I should open a planet fitness in a strip mall with a dominos pizza and dunkin donuts on each side.

FAIL

You're not designed to be an enterpreneur. Planet Fitness got thier own Pizza nights, that means dominos pizza goes bust.

Mattyh7688

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2012, 09:11:05 AM »
Somewhat.. A very close friend opened his gym(well actually took over an existing one) and there has been a ton of cross promotional stuff with a T-Shirt Manufacturer, supplement store, and sport store here. I wouldn't say  I am part of the community though in the terms of working though.

hrspwr1

• Getbig III
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2012, 09:20:37 AM »
FAIL

You're not designed to be an enterpreneur. Planet Fitness got thier own Pizza nights, that means dominos pizza goes bust.

HA, know your market. Fatties eat pizza more than the first monday of the month. Besides who are the planet people gonna BUY their pizzas from?

You lack of vision is disturbing.  ;D

snx

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2012, 09:38:53 AM »

What I mean is if someone creates a gym, a friend creates a health bar on top of it, while another creates a sports clothing store.
what is this called.

If one person owns the business, then it could be a licensing agreement whereby the gym's brand name is licensed to the health bar and clothing store since the brand name is worth something. In this event, the other businesses pay royalties/license fees to the owner of the brand trademark and in return use the brand name to attract customers and turn over their inventory to net income. The inventory they procure is often up to them, as is how the sell, price, market and retail the product. However, some license agreements can be more stringent than others in terms of marketing agreements. It varies.

If the gym name is a corporate name and corporate owned, then the other two opportunities could be franchising opportunities. In this case, the health bar and sports store pay an up-front free to the gym owner to secure the brand name. Then, through a contract, they are obligated to buy product from corporate and follow certain marketing guidelines, and in exchange, they use the brand name to draw in customers and turn over product they're purchased at a margin attractive enough to net income.

It could also be a partnership between all three, with each acting at various levels of ownership depending on shares owned. These can be unlimited or limited liability partnerships. Depending on the structure of the organization.

MikMaq

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2012, 10:29:51 AM »
Cross marketing?  This could be some of the best way for you to get business.  Doesnt even have to be at the health bar right above you.  Can be in the same area or whatever.  Maybe leave flyers for your gym at the health bar and do the same for the businesses that do it for you.  You can even work a deal that for every new member they send you and that signs up, they get a small cut of the sale.
Yeah I think this is what were getting at.

the idea is were trying to make a backwards corporation where all the risk is taken by the individual, and the role of the role of the community is simply to pool resources.   

Tito24

• Getbig V
  • I'm a large man but.. one with a plan
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2012, 10:33:44 AM »
im selling sexual attributes

jwb

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2012, 10:38:41 AM »
The person with the lease on the whole building (ie. the gym) sublets the space for the smaller businesses.

He is their direct landlord.

Alex23

• Getbig IV
  • Rely on knowledge.
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2012, 10:43:50 AM »

This.

®

MikMaq

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2012, 11:00:19 AM »
The person with the lease on the whole building (ie. the gym) sublets the space for the smaller businesses.

He is their direct landlord.
Yeah well it wouldn't actually be gym, but yes you are right.

Were actually thinking of some sort of accounting and engineering consulting. Along with a construction or wage labor side business, to help bridge costs of office space.

The main goal is to avoid the borrowing, and to avoid extensive training costs.

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2012, 11:06:54 AM »
Yeah well it wouldn't actually be gym, but yes you are right.

Were actually thinking of some sort of accounting and engineering consulting. Along with a construction or wage labor side business, to help bridge costs of office space.

The main goal is to avoid the borrowing, and to avoid extensive training costs.

make sure all your agreements are written and legal

handshakes dont work
T

MikMaq

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2012, 11:10:11 AM »
make sure all your agreements are written and legal

handshakes dont work
Meh that's the benefit of working with a bunch of fanatical social retards.

paper trails require that you conform to certain laws, more than a struggling business can afford.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2012, 11:17:13 AM »

what is this called.

I have indeed! 

Let me tell you, this endeavour is too complex and requires too much dedication for you and your dead beat friends. 

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2012, 04:41:34 PM »
what is this called.

Cake cutting