Author Topic: high reps for legs?  (Read 23530 times)

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
Re: high reps for legs?
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2013, 07:01:34 AM »
my new ladyfriend told me that she wants me bigger so low and behold i'm going on a mass gain program lol

Or, you could tell her that if she lost a couple of pounds, you'd be bigger in relation.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2013, 07:02:10 AM »

Or, you could tell her that if she lost a couple of pounds, you'd be bigger in relation.
:D

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2013, 07:04:04 AM »
Also a more effective tool for breaking up than the old, "It's not you, it's me," ploy.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2013, 07:14:46 AM »
Also a more effective tool for breaking up than the old, "It's not you, it's me," ploy.

tell her to use a narrow angle lense

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2013, 07:18:06 AM »

;D ;D ;D

honest to God, she's 5'5" and bout 100 pounds :P

and speaking of high rep squats, i was reading up on the Super Squats program and i'm wondering if i should maybe try and give it a go?

maybe it wouldn't be so practical with bells?

last squat workout i got 15 reps til failure with my current max wt available ie. 80 pounds per bell

if i get the thinnest 5 kg plates i can load up 115 pounds per bell

Henda

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2013, 08:48:16 AM »
steel cutting and welding tools are pretty costly...

not to mention the required skills which most of us don't have

If he bought the bars at the length he needed and used 2 pairs of collars on each dumbell there would be no tools or skills needed

Yev33

• Getbig III
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2013, 08:48:43 AM »
I know that you like the HIT ideas but your current equipment situation makes this a difficult task for legs.
I would suggest the the sets across approach for your db squats.
You said you can get 15 reps in one set. Try doing 5 sets of 10-15 with the 80lb dbs.. When you get 5 sets of 15, go for 5x15-20.
You can hit legs twice a week, once with the squats as I described. The second work out do a single leg variation like a walking lunge, rear foot elevated split squats, reverse lunges etc.. I would strongly recommend you use the sets across volume approach for the single leg work as well. Balance becomes an issue when trying for that one all out set and you inevitably end selling your self short.

Most important when using an approach like this is to pace yourself. Don't go balls out on the first set, last set should be the hardest and you should be able to get at least 80% of the reps compared to your first set.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2013, 09:12:09 AM »
If he bought the bars at the length he needed and used 2 pairs of collars on each dumbell there would be no tools or skills needed

ends of the bars would not rotate, bars would either be 1" or 2" but not 1" with 2" ends

a regular 60" bar costs $14...

http://shop.fitnessdepot.ca/Bars-Collars--C28.aspx?s=Price%20ASC,%20ProductId%20DESC&c=24&p=2

an olympic bar costs $28

http://shop.fitnessdepot.ca/Bars-Collars--C28.aspx?s=Price%20ASC,%20ProductId%20DESC&c=24&p=3

Henda

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2013, 10:49:04 AM »
ends of the bars would not rotate, bars would either be 1" or 2" but not 1" with 2" ends

a regular 60" bar costs $14...

http://shop.fitnessdepot.ca/Bars-Collars--C28.aspx?s=Price%20ASC,%20ProductId%20DESC&c=24&p=2

an olympic bar costs $28

http://shop.fitnessdepot.ca/Bars-Collars--C28.aspx?s=Price%20ASC,%20ProductId%20DESC&c=24&p=3

But the point was to make dumbell bars long enough for to do dumbell squats with enough weight?

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2013, 11:13:15 AM »
I know that you like the HIT ideas but your current equipment situation makes this a difficult task for legs.
I would suggest the the sets across approach for your db squats.
You said you can get 15 reps in one set. Try doing 5 sets of 10-15 with the 80lb dbs.. When you get 5 sets of 15, go for 5x15-20.
You can hit legs twice a week, once with the squats as I described. The second work out do a single leg variation like a walking lunge, rear foot elevated split squats, reverse lunges etc.. I would strongly recommend you use the sets across volume approach for the single leg work as well. Balance becomes an issue when trying for that one all out set and you inevitably end selling your self short.

Most important when using an approach like this is to pace yourself. Don't go balls out on the first set, last set should be the hardest and you should be able to get at least 80% of the reps compared to your first set.
good post some sound advice. lots you can do with even just a set of Bells. Home gym training can also yield great results.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2013, 11:50:17 AM »
But the point was to make dumbell bars long enough for to do dumbell squats with enough weight?

i have 2 of these... can load more than enough on them... $50 on amazon (but i got mine on sale for less)

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0010YOBB4/ref=oh_details_o01_s01_i00

Henda

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2013, 12:02:34 PM »
i have 2 of these... can load more than enough on them... $50 on amazon (but i got mine on sale for less)

Those look great.i bet using the thinner 5kg olympic plates they can hold a fair amount?

Definatley a futre investment once I move house and can have a larger home gym

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2013, 12:06:19 PM »

how much weight can you load up on them?

also, if you load up 25 pound plates or larger doesn't it make it too cumbersome to do the exercises correctly?

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2013, 12:11:09 PM »
Those look great.i bet using the thinner 5kg olympic plates they can hold a fair amount?

Definatley a futre investment once I move house and can have a larger home gym

capacity is 150lbs per bar... i use 1 for dumbbell rows and have loaded it to 180lbs without issue...

Henda

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2013, 12:23:24 PM »

capacity is 150lbs per bar... i use 1 for dumbbell rows and have loaded it to 180lbs without issue...

Definatley a worthy investment for anyones home gym, Id imagine they will be fine even well beyond 180. Holds more then I will ever need

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2013, 12:28:12 PM »
Definatley a worthy investment for anyones home gym, Id imagine they will be fine even well beyond 180. Holds more then I will ever need

well... i just checked... max i can fit is 3x45lbs per side... bar weighs 15lbs... i picked it up and it seemed solid/stable...

strong little bastards!

i only train at home now... it's the way to go

Henda

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2013, 12:44:33 PM »
well... i just checked... max i can fit is 3x45lbs per side... bar weighs 15lbs... i picked it up and it seemed solid/stable...

strong little bastards!

Thats seriously strong!
i also only train at home and will always do so. At the present its not ideal as the only space I have is an outbuilding at the bottom of the garden that is 6 foot by 12 foot. I cant wait to move to a house with a garage hopefully this year,and get some more equipment.
Still prefer it to goin to a gym.
In the home gym thread on here a while back there was some awesome home gyms on there.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2013, 01:06:29 PM »
Thats seriously strong!
i also only train at home and will always do so. At the present its not ideal as the only space I have is an outbuilding at the bottom of the garden that is 6 foot by 12 foot. I cant wait to move to a house with a garage hopefully this year,and get some more equipment.
Still prefer it to goin to a gym.
In the home gym thread on here a while back there was some awesome home gyms on there.

i'll post some pictures of my spare room

Henda

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2013, 01:30:56 PM »
That would be great

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2013, 01:34:38 PM »

Henda

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: January 03, 2013, 02:00:27 PM »
Thats ideal, looks like a real serious home gym, are those sandbags? Sandbag training is fucking amazing strength and condioning workout! Hope to get a couple myself when I get the room. Very nice gym.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #46 on: January 03, 2013, 02:06:30 PM »

strong little bastards!

ok, you can load three 45's on each side of the bell, but how functional is that?

if you did rows with it you'd have too short of a range of motion, not to mention too short of a range of motion on most lifts

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #47 on: January 03, 2013, 02:15:25 PM »
ok, you can load three 45's on each side of the bell, but how functional is that?

if you did rows with it you'd have too short of a range of motion, not to mention too short of a range of motion on most lifts

what the hell am i gonna do with 285lbs in 1 hand?

3x25lbs per side fits well and that's 165lbs... good for anything for me (i max out on chest at 130lbs if i use dumbbells)

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #48 on: January 03, 2013, 02:16:44 PM »
Thats ideal, looks like a real serious home gym, are those sandbags? Sandbag training is fucking amazing strength and condioning workout! Hope to get a couple myself when I get the room. Very nice gym.

yup, 1 sandbag, 2 bulgarian training bags... the top one is filled with rubber mulch and weighs about 35lbs, the 2nd one is full of sand and weighs 70lbs

they are awesome

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #49 on: January 03, 2013, 02:27:44 PM »
Home gym training is great ...can do what you want ..got all you need wooo.