Getbig Bodybuilding, Figure and Fitness Forums
July 27, 2016, 08:48:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Over 40, coming back after many months off.  (Read 291 times)
2Thick
Getbig IV

His Thickness

« on: May 14, 2016, 12:34:40 PM »

Trained very consistently for well over 25 years with very few layoffs lasting more than a week or 2.

Jacked up my shoulder a while back. Have been out many months, shoulder is better. No surgery was needed.

Don't look that bad. Still pretty big and muscular. Lost a few pounds of bodyweight, gained a bit of fat, muscles have flattened and softened a bit.

46, weighed close to 230 @ 5'7 before layoff. Now weigh 210-220 or so, depending upon what time of day it is. Cheesy

Used to hit legs and back really hard. Trained 4 days a week, 12-15 sets for most bodyparts, 8-10 sets for smaller ones. Worked quads separately from calves and hammies. Did lots of squats, rack pulls, bb and t-bar rows, pullups, leg presses, machine squats, hacks, bb presses and curls, etc - the basics.

I'm about to start back, and am curious as to how bad it will be and how long it will take me to hopefully get back to where I was a year or 2 ago. I have no doubt my cardio and muscular endurance have suffered - I'll probably need to work my way back up in volume over many weeks/months. Not sure how much strength I've lost. I always did both high and low reps.

Anybody ever go through anything similar at a similar age?
Report to moderator   Logged

A
T-REX007
Getbig III

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2016, 07:35:01 PM »

I am 49, had something similar happen to me at age 46...... I was able to come back pretty quickly, strength took a few months to get back where I was before the layoff- I really believe muscle memory kicks in, especially if you have done it consistently and natural for many years....  My lifts have stayed pretty stable the last few years and size is still there- can still hit a 405 paused bench any day of the week at 212 lbs     Smiley
Donny
Competitors II
Getbig V

getbig Zen Master

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2016, 05:43:59 AM »

I think best to start again with Full Body or split your routine in two and go from there. Train one half and take 1/2 days off and hit the other half.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Theme created by Egad Community. Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.20 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!