Author Topic: Question for the Getbig Brain Trust about Fat Loss  (Read 14814 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Question for the Getbig Brain Trust about Fat Loss
« on: January 02, 2013, 07:03:07 PM »
When dieting down - how do you know if you are losing fat, muscle, both, or what ratio? 

Anyone? 

I have been dieting down for awhile and look night and day different from June 2012 - but im wondering how do you determine whether you are losing just fat, muscle or whatever?

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
Re: Question for the Getbig Brain Trust about Fat Loss
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 07:36:36 PM »
I don't think it's as easy to lose muscle as some would lead us to believe.  As long as you are not full on starving or running super long distances I think muscle loss will be minimal.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 07:39:30 PM »
I don't think it's as easy to lose muscle as some would lead us to believe.  As long as you are not full on starving or running super long distances I think muscle loss will be minimal.

Im thinking the same thing.   I keep reading about a need to eat or drink a shake within 30 minutes of workout or else catabolic state will occur.   But them i am like - for what possibly 150 calories at best till next meal? 

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 07:42:35 PM »
Im thinking the same thing.   I keep reading about a need to eat or drink a shake within 30 minutes of workout or else catabolic state will occur.   But them i am like - for what possibly 150 calories at best till next meal? 

Propaganda made up by the supplement companies to sell their protein shakes.

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Ron = 'Princess L' & many other gimmicks - FACT!
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 07:58:22 PM »
When dieting down - how do you know if you are losing fat, muscle, both, or what ratio? 

Anyone? 

I have been dieting down for awhile and look night and day different from June 2012 - but im wondering how do you determine whether you are losing just fat, muscle or whatever?

Kill yourself, ya fat little chonic-masturbating turd.

!

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013, 08:01:20 PM »

Anyone? 

measure your weight and measure your body fat %?

Tony Doherty

• Expert
  • Getbig IV
  • Pro Promoter
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2013, 08:45:07 PM »
If you are losing more than 1kg a week it is probably some muscle loss. Take it slow.

snx

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2013, 06:34:31 AM »
Just buy a bioelectrical impedance scale. They're pretty affordable ($50, I think, or less).

They aren't accurate, but they're precise (there's a difference).

If you step on it once, it will not give you your precise bodyfat (it can vary wildly). But who cares what actual percent BF you are.

What matters is the accuracy on repeated measurements to track changes. That's where the scale is useful. If you step on it at the same time every day, day after day, you will see where the changes are coming from (fat vs muscle).

I have one. I step on it every morning after I piss when I wake up. Write down what it says. Track the changes. It's easy. And the numbers don't fluctuate wildly.

Now, when I prep for a show, a week or two out, the stupid scale will say I'm at 1% BF, which is stupid. I'm probably at 6% or 7%, realistically. But when I first diet, I step on and it'll say 22% or 23% or something like that. Then, I just keep tweaking my diet bit by bit until I see the numbers start to move. Then I know I ride out that caloric intake until I stagnate, then I have to cut a few more calories. Or bump up the cardio. Whatever I feel I can handle at the time.

Or just up the T3. That always works too.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2013, 06:37:37 AM »
Just buy a bioelectrical impedance scale. They're pretty affordable ($50, I think, or less).

They aren't precise, but they're accurate (there's a difference).

If you step on it once, it will not give you your precise bodyfat (it can vary wildly). But who cares what actual percent BF you are.

What matters is the accuracy on repeated measurements to track changes. That's where the scale is useful. If you step on it at the same time every day, day after day, you will see where the changes are coming from (fat vs muscle).

I have one. I step on it every morning after I piss when I wake up. Write down what it says. Track the changes. It's easy. And the numbers don't fluctuate wildly.

Now, when I prep for a show, a week or two out, the stupid scale will say I'm at 1% BF, which is stupid. I'm probably at 6% or 7%, realistically. But when I first diet, I step on and it'll say 22% or 23% or something like that. Then, I just keep tweaking my diet bit by bit until I see the numbers start to move. Then I know I ride out that caloric intake until I stagnate, then I have to cut a few more calories. Or bump up the cardio. Whatever I feel I can handle at the time.

Or just up the T3. That always works too.

Don't do roids but ill check out that scale. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2013, 06:38:17 AM »
Kill yourself, ya fat little chonic-masturbating turd.

LOL.  Im in damn good shape already there Erkle. 

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2013, 06:45:33 AM »
When someone starts dieting, it's not usually a case of how much muscle/fat they are losing - but rather how much lean muscle they thought they had before the diet, that brings confusion.

The reason muscles start to look flatter, and muscles that used to pop a bit when you were heavier don't anymore, is because of the change of nutrients, lower carbs etc flushing the glycogen and water from the muscles.

Trust me, it's harder to actually BURN away muscle than you think.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2013, 07:14:59 AM »
Contrary to popular belief, it is extremely hard to lose muscle on a diet of 1500 calories or more. As long as you are eating this much and getting a decent amount of rest you aren't going to lose any muscle.

8)

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2013, 07:16:02 AM »

Anyone? 

hahahahaha

outed again as a fatso

lovemonkey

• Getbig V
  • Two kinds of people; Those that can extrapolate
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2013, 07:18:50 AM »
When someone starts dieting, it's not usually a case of how much muscle/fat they are losing - but rather how much lean muscle they thought they had before the diet, that brings confusion.

The reason muscles start to look flatter, and muscles that used to pop a bit when you were heavier don't anymore, is because of the change of nutrients, lower carbs etc flushing the glycogen and water from the muscles.

x2

I don't really have much experience with extreme dieting but whenever I do decide to drop a couple of lbs and start to look flat I'm always surprised by how 'muscle' that comes back after doing a simple carb load.
from incomplete data

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2013, 07:19:42 AM »

hahahahaha

outed again as a fatso

Come to NYSC in White Plains any night of the week and report back how "fat" I am.  Anyone on this forum can meet me there any night of the week and report back.  LOL at you losers.    

Im in greating fucking shape right now.  

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2013, 07:20:37 AM »
x2

I don't really have much experience with extreme dieting but whenever I do decide to drop a couple of lbs and start to look flat I'm always surprised by how 'muscle' that comes back after doing a simple carb load.

Exacty.

I once gained 5lb of 'pure muscle' by eating a dominos, drinking 2 cans of vanilla coke and doing some push ups afterwards  ;D

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2013, 07:33:58 AM »

nice post, i'm impressed

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2013, 07:52:01 AM »

Some very good points brought up here.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2013, 08:28:39 AM »
1. The Mirror
2. Depends on the "supplements"  you are on.  If on GH, Tren, Mast, Test.  Then you aren't losing any muscle.  But your water weight will fluctuate a lot.

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2013, 08:46:44 AM »
nice post, i'm impressed

I was inspired to write that post listening to Shitels

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2013, 08:58:07 AM »
I was inspired to write that post listening to Shitels

was it this tune?

snx

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2013, 09:15:27 AM »

^^^Truth spoken by the sizeable Cypriate.

There's clinical research to support it. One study put elite wrestlers on near starvation diets, and had them do resistance training (nothing spectacular). The wrestlers did not lose muscle (some gained, despite the lack of food intake).

The body is remarkable at adapting. It will protect muscle if you tell it to do so (i.e. you lift weights). It will sacrifice fat stores to keep you alive and allow you to meet the challenges you present the body with. There's a limit, of course, but you get the point.

Too many guys fear the whole "I'll lose size" when they diet. You won't. Most fat off-season guys just think they have a lot more muscle than they really do. Then they come to the harsh brutal reality that the off-season gain of 45lbs, of which they thought was mostly muscle, was in fact about 2-5lbs of muscle, and the rest was pure unadulterated fat. Rather than admit to themselves and friends that what they really did was balloon up like an obese whale on a rampage, they instead justify by saying "oh, yeah, I put on a ton of mass in the off-season, but my coach fucked me up with this new diet/drug/training/sleeping/insert-excuse thing, and that burned off all my muscle. You should have seen me X weeks out". It's so predictable, I can't figure out if it's comical or sad. Maybe both...bodybuilders and excuses/justification go togther like ham and cheese.

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2013, 09:19:45 AM »
^^^Truth spoken by the sizeable Cypriate.

There's clinical research to support it. One study put elite wrestlers on near starvation diets, and had them do resistance training (nothing spectacular). The wrestlers did not lose muscle (some gained, despite the lack of food intake).

The body is remarkable at adapting. It will protect muscle if you tell it to do so (i.e. you lift weights). It will sacrifice fat stores to keep you alive and allow you to meet the challenges you present the body with. There's a limit, of course, but you get the point.

Too many guys fear the whole "I'll lose size" when they diet. You won't. Most fat off-season guys just think they have a lot more muscle than they really do. Then they come to the harsh brutal reality that the off-season gain of 45lbs, of which they thought was mostly muscle, was in fact about 2-5lbs of muscle, and the rest was pure unadulterated fat. Rather than admit to themselves and friends that what they really did was balloon up like an obese whale on a rampage, they instead justify by saying "oh, yeah, I put on a ton of mass in the off-season, but my coach fucked me up with this new diet/drug/training/sleeping/insert-excuse thing, and that burned off all my muscle. You should have seen me X weeks out". It's so predictable, I can't figure out if it's comical or sad. Maybe both...bodybuilders and excuses/justification go togther like ham and cheese.

Good post.

Same goes for the whole 'muscle memory' mantra. Most of the time the 'muscle' memory miracle happens when someone's built a good base of muscle, stops training completely for few months (but still eats over 2K kcals a day) and and soon as they start training again, after 2 weeks they look 80% the 'size' they were before - not so much, muscles magically rebuilding themselves lol but muscles tissie being replenished by nutrients, and resistance, inflammation from the heavy loads and water/glucose retention.

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2013, 09:23:43 AM »
If you are losing more than 1kg a week it is probably some muscle loss. Take it slow.

Exactly, 1 to 2 pounds per week is a pretty safe zone.