Author Topic: town holds candlelight vigil for dead elk  (Read 1365 times)

bradistani

• Getbig V
town holds candlelight vigil for dead elk
« on: January 07, 2013, 11:30:27 AM »

the reason why....

BOULDER, Colo. – A candlelight vigil took place Sunday night for the elk that was killed by two Boulder police officers on Mapleton Hill.

“It’s a celebration of the elk,” said Jim Reimersma, who organized the vigil. Close to 100 people attended the vigil.

“We loved him but I think he loved us too because he returned to this neighborhood three winters in a row,” Reimersma said.

Community members celebrated the life of the bull elk at 5:30 p.m. on Mountain View Road.

The two police officers who killed the elk in a west Boulder neighborhood late Tuesday night have been suspended. Police dispatch was not notified before or after the shooting.

Boulder Police Chief Mark Beckner said a supervisor should have been called. Boulder Police and Colorado Parks & Wildlife are now investigating the incident.

“I think the officer who shot him should be fired, I really do,” said Miriam Paisner, a Boulder resident who attended the vigil. “Just the death of any animal, wild animal, in the city of Boulder is first of all against the law. But I”m an animal rights activist so it really touched me in my heart, I mean I had to cry.”

An officer was on patrol near Mapleton Avenue and Ninth Street and shot the elk because it thought it had been injured. An off-duty officer helped him carry it away and process the elk for meat.

Residents were angry when they heard about the elk’s death — who they have nicknamed “Big Boy,” “Elmo” and “George.”

According to the paper, the elk had been spotted for several weeks on Mapleton Hill, and many people living in the neighborhood said the elk had not behaved aggressively toward humans. Some even considered the elk their “guardian,” the paper stated.

The vigil was open to the public.

“It’s to honor him,” said one resident. “I feel like I lost a best friend.”

A number of residents hope to discuss the shooting with Chief Beckner on Monday afternoon.

http://kdvr.com/2013/01/05/vigil-planned-for-elk-killed-by-boulder-police/

snx

• Getbig IV
Re: town holds candlelight vigil for dead elk
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 12:03:52 PM »
Comically stupid.

This misplaced gesturing is the result of a generation brought up to live without a great war to call its own...which is irrefutable in its ability to center people onto what really matters.

Life feeds on life.

Mattyh7688

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 12:10:47 PM »
Has anyone seen a elk in person? These things are MASSIVE. My girlfriends dad killed one last year and it was close to 4x his size. The head is hanging in their living room, lol it is the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen and takes up half the room.. I will take a pic tomorrow. They are gigantic and have no place in a residential neighborhood with small pets and children.

jakew300

• Getbig II
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 12:15:26 PM »
I grew up in Boulder (happy to say moved away) this is how a large part of the community is.   If you ever want to live in a place that is not rooted in reality go to Boulder.  Elk, deer, and mountain lions come into town all the time.

snx

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 12:19:24 PM »
Has anyone seen a elk in person? These things are MASSIVE. My girlfriends dad killed one last year and it was close to 4x his size. The head is hanging in their living room, lol it is the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen and takes up half the room.. I will take a pic tomorrow. They are gigantic and have no place in a residential neighborhood with small pets and children.

Very true. An elk during the rut season can and will mercilessly fuck your shit up if you get in the way. It's not a lion or king cobra roaming the streets, but elks are not to be taken lightly.

hrspwr1

• Getbig III
  • flirtin with disaster everyday
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 01:44:56 PM »
they need to somehow get those candles under it if they ever expect to cook that thing.

snx

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013, 02:15:43 PM »
they need to somehow get those candles under it if they ever expect to cook that thing.

Lol'd.  ;D

arce1988

• Getbig V
  • ARCE USA USMC
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2013, 02:37:01 PM »
If you ever want to live in a place that is not rooted in reality go to Boulder.

Reminds me of a LOT of places.