Author Topic: USA! USA! We're #1... in Being Unhealthly  (Read 834 times)

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
USA! USA! We're #1... in Being Unhealthly
« on: January 09, 2013, 03:14:04 PM »
Americans are far more unhealthy than people in 16 other developed countries, and it’s probably our own fault, experts reported on Wednesday. We die younger from diseases such as obesity and heart disease, and we are far more likely to be murdered and die in car accidents, the researchers at the National Academy of Sciences found.

U.S. culture has a lot to do with it and policymakers need to take action right away to reverse the trend, the experts who wrote the report advised.

"It's a tragedy. Our report found that an equally large, if not larger, disadvantage exists among younger Americans," said Dr. Steven Woolf, chair of the department of family medicine at Virginia Commonwealth University, who chaired the panel.

“I, personally, was stunned by how pervasive the disadvantage was across so many topic areas.”

http://vitals.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/01/09/16433458-were-unhealthier-than-everyone-else-and-its-our-own-fault?lite

Emmortal

• Getbig V
Re: USA! USA! We're #1... in Being Unhealthly
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 03:19:02 PM »
It sort of is our own fault and sort of isn't.  By that I mean we have a food industry who's sole purpose is to cause addiction to unhealthy foods.  Addiditives such as high fructose corn syrup (which is in everything now), MSG, and others offer nothing to the body except fill it with empty calories which causes a nutritional starvation.  The fault is on the individual to realize this (hey, look I put on 10lbs this year, i'm getting fat maybe I should stop eating shit) and take action.

We've also moved from working outside and doing a lot of manual labor into office jobs sitting at a computer working 8+ hours a day and having a sense of not having enough time so the quickest source of nutrition becomes the worst option available.

Processed sugars, MSG, Aspertame and the like are all part of the scam by the food industry and should be avoided at all costs.

Viking11

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
Re: USA! USA! We're #1... in Being Unhealthly
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 08:28:22 PM »
Its also due to people who constantly eat crap, "treating themselves" regularly, etc.