Author Topic: NRA Vows To Stop Tucson From Destroying Guns  (Read 1055 times)

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
NRA Vows To Stop Tucson From Destroying Guns
« on: January 10, 2013, 06:48:09 AM »

"I've been getting threats," Kozachik says. "I've been getting emails. I've been getting phone calls in the office trying to shut this thing down or 'We're going to sue you' or 'Who do you think you are?' " Todd Rathner, an Arizona lobbyist and a national board member of the NRA, may sue. He has no problem with the gun buyback, but he does have a problem with the fate of the guns once police take possession of them.

"We do believe that it is illegal for them to destroy those guns," he says. Rathner says Arizona state law forces local governments to sell seized or abandoned property to the highest bidder.

A line of people with guns formed in front of the midtown Tucson police station well before the 9 a.m. starting time for the buyback. At a command post in the parking lot, officers checked weapons to make sure they hadn't been stolen or used in a crime, and took the guns. The people who turned them in got a $50 Safeway gift card for every gun — money donated by the grocery chain and by private contributors.

Anna Jolivet had four old rifles she didn't want: "They belonged to my husband, and he passed away four years ago, and I haven't had any success in having someone take them off of me since then. So I thought this is a good time to turn them in." That's exactly what Republican Tucson City Councilman Steve Kozachik expected when he asked the police to do the buyback. What he didn't expect was the response after he announced the event.

Read more: http://www.npr.org/2013/01/09/168926749/nra-vows-to-stop-tuscon-from-destroying-guns`

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Re: NRA Vows To Stop Tucson From Destroying Guns
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 06:53:57 AM »
They should sell them for a profit instead IMHO 

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 07:04:20 AM »
Lol yea I don't believe for a Second that the widow couldn't get someone to take the rifles off of her.

They need to be checked to see if they are stolen and if so given back to the original owners. Outside of that I don't care what they do with them they at technically their property and if they want to waste money by not selling them by all means

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 07:08:33 AM »
the purpose of this is to get the guns off the street so i don't think selling them is an option

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 07:18:57 AM »
And that's fine technically they bought them, they are the police however and are charged with returning stolen goods to their rightful owner so they need to find the stolen ones and return them to their rightful owners

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, 07:19:46 AM »
the purpose of this is to get the guns off the street so i don't think selling them is an option

People are not killing each other with old garbage rifles. 

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2013, 07:30:15 AM »
People are not killing each other with old garbage rifles. 

oh yeah that's right, they're using hammers  :D :D :D

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2013, 07:33:08 AM »
oh yeah that's right, they're using hammers  :D :D :D

you know absolutely nothing about this issue beyond the dog food fed to you by your ghetto king messiah and the commies on MSNBC

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2013, 09:41:36 AM »
you know absolutely nothing about this issue beyond the dog food fed to you by your ghetto king messiah and the commies on MSNBC

you're the world champion of knowing nothing about almost every issue
It's actually worse than knowing nothing because most of the time you believe something completely false and need to unlearn your stupid beliefs just to get back to knowing nothing

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
  • Using Surveillance for Political Subversion(?)
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2013, 10:11:38 AM »
And that's fine technically they bought them, they are the police however and are charged with returning stolen goods to their rightful owner so they need to find the stolen ones and return them to their rightful owners

Interesting point.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2013, 10:33:33 AM »
The Need for Semi-Automatic "Assault" Weapons
 Townhall.com ^ | January 10, 2013 | Katie Pavlich

Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2013 6:11:02 AM by Kaslin

By now, we’ve heard the argument about semi-automatic "assault" rifles: nobody needs one. we’ve heard the only reason why someone would obtain this kind of weapon is so they can kill people, which is far from the truth. We’ve also heard the argument from both the Left and the Right that a pistol is how someone protects their home.

"I really don’t know why people need assault weapons. I’m not a hunter but I understand people who want to hunt," Republican Rep. Peter King said on Morning Joe earlier this week. "I understand people who live in rough neighborhoods or have a small business and want to maintain a pistol to protect themselves as long as they’re properly vetted and licensed. But an assault weapon? "

While the use of pistols in the home are helpful, they’re not the best weapon to use when it comes to protecting property. This is why people need a semi-automatic rifle which yes, can come in the form of an AR-15.

Let’s go back in history for a moment. While everyday life in America compared to the rest of the world is pretty darn easy and relatively safe, the reality is things can change overnight, regardless of whether you live in a decent neighborhood. Take for example the Los Angeles riots in 1992, when business owners were forced to defend their property from angry mobs causing severe chaos: $1 billion in property damage, 50 dead, 4,000 injured, 3,000 fires set and 1,100 buildings damaged. In this case, a handheld pistol was in no way sufficient, but semi-automatic rifles were.

Business owners in LA’s Koreatown knew what was coming their way, so they armed themselves with shotguns and semi-automatic rifles in order to defend their property. They stood on their rooftops as they watched black smoke pour down the street. The cops weren't there to help them.

“One of our security guards was killed,” Kee Whan Ha told NPR in April 2012, 20 years after the riots took place. "I didn't see any police patrol car whatsoever. It's a wide open area. It was like the Wild West in the old days, there was nothing there, we were the only ones left."

Business owner Richard Rhee felt the same way and told the Los Angeles Times, "Burn this down after 33 years?... They don't know how hard I've worked. This is my market and I'm going to protect it."

“Assault weapons” saved Koreatown and it’s fair to say the people holding them saved the lives of many that day.

Then of course, there was the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina in 2005. New Orleans became a place of complete anarchy in a matter of hours. In addition to property owners being forced to stave off mobs of people roaming for food, water and shelter to survive as the government failed to provide emergency services, they had to protect themselves against dangerous looters. But not only were New Orleans residents forced to defend themselves against immediate threats to their person and property, residents also had to protect themselves from the government.

As the water started to recede, leaving New Orleans a chaotic wasteland, police officers began going door to door confiscating weapons. Who did they take them from? Mostly poor black residents in New Orleans' 9th Ward.

The New York Times reported in September 2005, “No civilians in New Orleans will be allowed to carry pistols, shotguns or other firearms.” The paper pointed out that rich residents and business were allowed to hire hundreds of security guards with firearms to protect them. Sadly, the poor in New Orleans didn’t have the same luxury.

Superintendent of police at the time P. Edwin Compass III said, “Only law enforcement are allowed to have weapons.”

What happened days before weapons confiscation was tyranny of the worst kind. Henry Glover, a 31-year-old black man was shot and killed by New Orlean’s police officers. They also burned his body.

A New Orleans police officer was laughing after he burned the body of a man who had been gunned down by police in Hurricane Katrina's aftermath, a fellow officer testified Thursday.

The testimony came during the trial of officer Greg McRae and Lt. Dwayne Scheuermann, who are charged with burning the body of 31-year-old Henry Glover in a car after he was shot and killed by a different officer outside a strip mall on Sept. 2, 2005. Three other current and former officers also are charged in Glover's death.

A former officer, David Warren, is charged with shooting Glover. Prosecutors say Glover wasn't armed and didn't pose a threat to Warren.

Scheuermann and McRae are accused of beating people who drove Glover to a makeshift police headquarters in search of help. The three men were handcuffed when the officers drove off with the car containing Glover's body.

Former Lt. Robert Italiano and Lt. Travis McCabe are accused of falsifying a report to make it appear Glover's shooting was justified.

When politicians and gun grabbers tell us we “don’t need” semi-automatic, "assault," or "military style" weapons, they don’t know what they’re talking about.