Author Topic: Fundamental Question of the Week...Should govt fear its constituents?  (Read 1879 times)

tonymctones

• Getbig V
Ok so in an attempt to better understand different political views and the basis for them I'm gonna try and pose a different question that I think there will be fundamental differences on so we can discuss the reasons for them.

Hopefully this won't divulge into the normal shit storm it usually does at least not before we have some decent posts on it.

The first question stems from the recent debate on gun control.

I feel that those who oppose gun control for the most part feel that the govt should have a healthy fear of the ppl.

I also feel that while those in favor feel that in this day and age it is not necessary for the govt to fear it's constituents or at the very least the citizens are basically powerless against them so why try.

So the base question is should the govt have a HEALTHY fear of its constituents?

tonymctones

• Getbig V
Re: Fundamental Question of the Week...Should govt fear its constituents?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 04:11:41 PM »
Hey you fruit eating fairies answer the fucking question!!! :)

Should the govt have a healthy fear of its constituents?

GigantorX

• Getbig V
  • GetBig's A-Team is the Light of Truth!
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 04:27:57 PM »
YES.

If a Congressman comes out and states they would like to disarm this nations citizens I would ask that Congressman if he would be comfortable in not having an armed to the teeth security detail.

I wonder what his answer would be....

Pray_4_War

• Getbig V
  • Thot Expert
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 04:29:08 PM »
Of course. 

People that think government tyranny could never happen in the USA are naive.  History it's full of dead people that didn't think their government would fuck them over.  I think the Jews would have shag-assed out of Germany if they knew Hitler was fixing to do with them.  It pays to turn a skeptical eye to politicians.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 05:43:40 PM »
Yes.   Look at Europe - the scumbag politicians destroy the society and all the peasants can do is break windows and toss rocks. 

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 05:44:14 PM »
Anyone with an opposing viewpoint care to chime in?

Mr. Magoo

• Getbig V
  • THE most mistaken identity on getbig
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, 06:04:52 PM »
I find it odd giving non-living things agency; so I'm skeptical of how a government can "fear" something.

I'm not really sure what is being asked. Care to rephrase?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2013, 06:09:01 PM »
I find it odd giving non-living things agency; so I'm skeptical of how a government can "fear" something.

How about this for you - the scumbag pieces of garbage elected to public office fearing that if they try to usurp citizens'freedoms that they will be sent to the gallows or shot for treason? 

Mr. Magoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2013, 06:17:34 PM »
How about this for you - the scumbag pieces of garbage elected to public office fearing that if they try to usurp citizens'freedoms that they will be sent to the gallows or shot for treason? 

Property laws limit "freedom" and hardly anybody argues against those. So simply "limiting freedom" isn't enough to count as "treason." If we add the common stipulations onto what we ordinarily mean by "freedom", then the concept becomes empty. Sounds like there is a lot of confusion in these questions.

Back to the thread: Should there be limits to the power of elected officials? Is revolution ever justified? Yes to both, but I don't think that's what is being asked.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2013, 06:21:19 PM »
Property laws limit "freedom" and hardly anybody argues against those. So simply "limiting freedom" isn't enough to count as "treason." If we add the common stipulations onto what we ordinarily mean by "freedom", then the concept becomes empty. Sounds like there is a lot of confusion in these questions.

Back to the thread: Should there be limits to the power of elected officials? Is revolution ever justified? Yes to both, but I don't think that's what is being asked.

Would you agree that a certain point it is justified?   I guess the only question - which is debated often - at what point? 

Mr. Magoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2013, 06:23:18 PM »
Would you agree that a certain point it is justified?   I guess the only question - which is debated often - at what point? 

Yea I would agree that at a certain point, a revolution is justified. I think the french revolution, for example, was obviously justified.

"what point?" is a tough question.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2013, 06:27:14 PM »

You're so intelligent!  :o

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2013, 06:29:14 PM »
Yea I would agree that at a certain point, a revolution is justified. I think the french revolution, for example, was obviously justified.

"what point?" is a tough question.

Well - many people are at that point now, and more and more daily as the govt loses control over the currency and ability to have a stable society. 

Pray_4_War

• Getbig V
  • Thot Expert
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2013, 06:48:00 PM »

A government is made up of human beings which , the last time I checked, are capable of fear. 

I find it odd that you are pretending not to know what is being asked here.  Perhaps you are trying to give the appearance that you are intellectually superior........which you are not. 

Mr. Magoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2013, 06:58:25 PM »
A government is made up of human beings which , the last time I checked, are capable of fear. 

I find it odd that you are pretending not to know what is being asked here.  Perhaps you are trying to give the appearance that you are intellectually superior........which you are not. 

I claim to be a dumbass. Even if we give agency to government we run into a second problem. The question was should a government fear its constituents. But those who make up government are themselves constituents. So the question ends up as "should some people (those elected to public office) fear themselves?"

I think what was being asked was something along the lines of "Can revolutions be justified?" I'm sure he'll clarify.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2013, 07:22:32 PM »
your question presupposes the support of government in general. therefore i cannot answer.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2013, 08:26:56 PM »
your question presupposes the support of government in general. therefore i cannot answer.
not it doesnt you brainiac...reality is there is govt you dont have to support it to have an opinion on this subject.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2013, 08:28:27 PM »
oh for the love of shit Magoo, this topic got all of 3 posts not by me before the idiocy started.

Youre smarter than this and youre just trying to be a little shit.

Do you think that politicians who make up govt should fear the constituents they govern?

Is that better? now answer the fucking question.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2013, 08:33:03 PM »
Good question,

Every time a politician considers doing something, he should know that he'll be held responsible.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2013, 09:15:27 PM »
not it doesnt you brainiac...reality is there is govt you dont have to support it to have an opinion on this subject.
should government fear its constituents?   no.. government shouldnt do anything. it shouldnt exist at all.    would it result in a better society if a government feared its citizens rather than if it had no fear of rebellion at all?  sure, i think thats fairly obvious ! lol

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2013, 09:20:12 PM »
government shouldnt do anything.

X2

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2013, 05:42:45 AM »
should government fear its constituents?   no.. government shouldnt do anything. it shouldnt exist at all.    would it result in a better society if a government feared its citizens rather than if it had no fear of rebellion at all?  sure, i think thats fairly obvious ! lol
Thank you for the contribution dizzle

So you're against all forms of govt?

Are you against co-op type agreements as well?

Mr. Magoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2013, 05:48:14 AM »
oh for the love of shit Magoo, this topic got all of 3 posts not by me before the idiocy started.

Youre smarter than this and youre just trying to be a little shit.

Do you think that politicians who make up govt should fear the constituents they govern?
Is that better? now answer the fucking question.

I don't think elected politicians should fear for their life with every political decision they make, no.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2013, 05:52:37 AM »
I don't think elected politicians should fear for their life with every political decision they make, no.
Not quite the question I posed, my original used the term healthy.

For instance I have a healthy respect for electricity or fire. That doesn't mean I fear for my life if I'm around a fire or every time I turn on a light. I would however have some fear if I was using it appropriately.

Pray_4_War

• Getbig V
  • Thot Expert
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2013, 06:01:51 AM »
Not quite the question I posed, my original used the term healthy.

For instance I have a healthy respect for electricity or fire. That doesn't mean I fear for my life if I'm around a fire or every time I turn on a light. I would however have some fear if I was using it appropriately.

There's one liberal in the world, one liberal with many faces.  Asking them simple, direct questions or making well though out, relevant analogies won't get you very far with them.  I respect you for trying though.