Author Topic: Mr USA John DeFendis Claims Cardio Isn't Needed For Fat Loss!  (Read 15170 times)

Jon Harridan

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • My dog fucks the little girl fivesilvernickels.
Mr USA John DeFendis Claims Cardio Isn't Needed For Fat Loss!
« on: January 11, 2013, 07:43:11 AM »
So is cardio a giant waste of time? After all, the legend DeFendis says so. Let us all stop doing cardio then and focus exclusively on building muscle to burn fat.

Mr. Magoo

• Getbig V
  • THE most mistaken identity on getbig
Re: Mr USA John DeFendis Claims Cardio Isn't Needed For Fat Loss!
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 07:44:42 AM »
Where's Moe and Larry

TrueBB93

• Getbig III
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 07:49:07 AM »
Cardio is very good for your heart and overall health(blood pressure ect).

But as Galeniko said, its not  needed for getting shredded as most people like to assume.

bigmikecox

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • SAY MY NAME!!!!
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 07:50:03 AM »
He trained for like 4 hours and did a shit load of sets

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
  • Rhetoric is the art of ruling the minds of men.
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2013, 07:50:45 AM »
John really needs to do some cardio, he looks like a massive fat bastard these days, their is no no way being the size John is can be healthy for you at that age.
V

Stark

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2013, 07:53:28 AM »
How does that saying go again? There were no fat prisoners in concentration camps?
And...
You create your abs in the kitchen not the gym

Of course what he says is being taken out of contexts, cardio will help you loose fat faster.

musclecenter

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Mr.Taiwan

Purge_WTF

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2013, 07:57:06 AM »
He trained for like 4 hours and did a shit load of sets

I'd rather weight train for twenty minutes and then do some cardio if that's the case.

And I'm sure John was using some "supplements" that helped him along.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2013, 08:01:34 AM »
according to 15 all one needs to do get shredded is to buy his gh

The Italian Lifter

• Getbig IV
  • I need an English dictionary!
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2013, 08:02:19 AM »
well, hes right.

i have gotten to shredded everything without cardio.

its not needed for everyone, but it helps everyone.

and in case of a natural bb? maybe it can be even more helpful: what do you think?
North of Italy

Jon Harridan

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2013, 08:04:47 AM »
diet > cardio
http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=117526.1475

That's great seeing as cardio's boring as hell; I can stand only a few minutes of it at most. I can't fathom how the Pros can do 2 hours of cardio a day.

snx

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2013, 08:05:26 AM »
Cardio isn't nearly as effective as strength training (think intensity, and EPOC), basal metabolic rate (think what added muscle does to BMR), and diet, at burning off stored bodyfat.

Cardio plays a role when you can't use the above 3 things well enough to lose the amount of fat in the time you need to.

Some guys need to add cardio because their BMR isn't high enough to burn off all the fat they have even with all the muscle mass they have (read: they were a Miss Piggy in the off-season and are carrying 65lbs of extra fat at 14 weeks out from the show).

Some guys use cardio as a way to offset their lackluster starving skills. Some guys just can't starve (can't suffer hard enough), so they add cardio to make up the difference.

And you can only starve yourself so much and lose fat only so fast...so if you're too fat and you need to lose 40lbs of fat in 12 weeks, you're going to need to add cardio. If you only need to lose 20lbs of fat in 12 weeks pre-contest, there's no reason you can't get away with just lifting weights and dieting, if you're good at sticking to your daily caloric intake limits.

Of course, if you really extra extra fat, then you'll need some more help (T3, Clen, ephedrine, GH, DNP, etc...). But that's another story.

And finally, some guys just can't lift weights all the time for long periods of time to burn the fat off. Plenty of guys develop over-use injuries doing 2-3hr workouts 5 times or more per week. Elbows get hurt, knees get hurt, shoulders wear out, the lower back spasms....shit like that happens when you get older. If you use enough junk, you can mask the pain, but god help you when you clean out or give up lifting. You will be one busted up sonofabitch. You can't put 10 tons on a 5 ton truck for years  at a time and not expect to wear the thing out.

G_Thang

• Getbig V
  • The World South of the USA isnt for pussies!
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2013, 08:09:04 AM »
So is cardio a giant waste of time? After all, the legend DeFendis says so. Let us all stop doing cardio then and focus exclusively on building muscle to burn fat.

::)

no, it' just good for your heart and pulmonary function.  how many pro bodybuilders can complete 45 mins of  an AMATEUR soccer game, let alone a pro game?

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2013, 08:09:56 AM »
providing my diet was the same(clean) ive always lost way more fat by hard weight training alone than i did by doing cardio alone
R

Stark

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2013, 08:11:07 AM »
and in case of a natural bb? maybe it can be even more helpful: what do you think?

course it is, but seriously whats more important for the average joe to loose weight? That he busts his ass on the bike for 30 min or that he eats properly, combine the two = great results but he probably loosed more weight if he just eats properly.

musclecenter

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Mr.Taiwan
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2013, 08:11:40 AM »
That's great seeing as cardio's boring as hell; I can stand only a few minutes of it at most. I can't fathom how the Pros can do 2 hours of cardio a day.
take a look at most of marathon runners or swimers, they doing lots of cadio than bodybuilders.
but they also eat lots carbs & fat. so their difinition not as good as us.
i have a very bad spinals problem, never doing cardio.
but see my update pics

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2013, 08:14:16 AM »
Dude advocated 20 sets per body part.  

intensity or insanity.

HIGH volume training.

Jon Harridan

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2013, 08:14:36 AM »
::)

no, it' just good for your heart and pulmonary function.  how many pro bodybuilders can complete 45 mins of  an AMATEUR soccer game, let alone a pro game?

Yes, DeFendis has already dealt with that issue in the video. That's why I posted it.

The Italian Lifter

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2013, 08:15:10 AM »
when im natty, i do everything the same way, except lift less weight and less frequently and add some more fats to diet, i get ripped all the same, just some 15-20lbs smaller.

natty to on gear main difference from experience is natural doesnt get away with cheat meals very well.metabolism is slower due to less muscle.

but general rules are same.

problem is-I suppose-being near 40yo putting on muscle mass naturally is harder (impossible for me)...someone suggested to go play with sand instead (GH)
North of Italy

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2013, 08:15:17 AM »
Cardio isn't nearly as effective as strength training (think intensity, and EPOC), basal metabolic rate (think what added muscle does to BMR), and diet, at burning off stored bodyfat.

Cardio plays a role when you can't use the above 3 things well enough to lose the amount of fat in the time you need to.

Some guys need to add cardio because their BMR isn't high enough to burn off all the fat they have even with all the muscle mass they have (read: they were a Miss Piggy in the off-season and are carrying 65lbs of extra fat at 14 weeks out from the show).

Some guys use cardio as a way to offset their lackluster starving skills. Some guys just can't starve (can't suffer hard enough), so they add cardio to make up the difference.

And you can only starve yourself so much and lose fat only so fast...so if you're too fat and you need to lose 40lbs of fat in 12 weeks, you're going to need to add cardio. If you only need to lose 20lbs of fat in 12 weeks pre-contest, there's no reason you can't get away with just lifting weights and dieting, if you're good at sticking to your daily caloric intake limits.

Of course, if you really extra extra fat, then you'll need some more help (T3, Clen, ephedrine, GH, DNP, etc...). But that's another story.

And finally, some guys just can't lift weights all the time for long periods of time to burn the fat off. Plenty of guys develop over-use injuries doing 2-3hr workouts 5 times or more per week. Elbows get hurt, knees get hurt, shoulders wear out, the lower back spasms....shit like that happens when you get older. If you use enough junk, you can mask the pain, but god help you when you clean out or give up lifting. You will be one busted up sonofabitch. You can't put 10 tons on a 5 ton truck for years  at a time and not expect to wear the thing out.

great post and spot on in fact

The Italian Lifter

• Getbig IV
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2013, 08:17:04 AM »
course it is, but seriously whats more important for the average joe to loose weight? That he busts his ass on the bike for 30 min or that he eats properly, combine the two = great results but he probably loosed more weight if he just eats properly.

I always went the other way round lolz
North of Italy

snx

• Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2013, 08:17:17 AM »
even if you inject it, instead of just buying from him, its not the magic one size fits everything solution that many think it is.

itll make a difference on an already well developed bbuilder, but thats it, as far fatloss goes.

good post snx, but i dont think a really fat person "needs t3 and clean and efedrine".i find steroids to be more importnant factor than those as foundation for dieting.

bjj: yeah, what cardio does is visible on the many girls in the gyms who do cardio only, they always look the very same.no progress.

stark:
for the average joe, if he dont work out with weights, my first advice for dieting to him would be to start working out.

without workout, the bbuilders broscience dieting ways are not usefull

Yeah, don't misunderstand me. Steroids are far more effective dieting drugs than any of the ones I mentioned. I just assumed steroids were "understood" to be part of the equation.

Also, you wrote something smart above about the difference between natty dieting vs juiced dieting. Guys should write that one down.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2013, 08:26:33 AM »
hm, i dont think 20 sets per bodypart is much, i always do that.

musclecenter, youre quite fat man, the muscle pops out somewhat due to steroids use, but look at your navel, its burried in fat.

look, this is lean:

can someone translate "hope this helps" for our resident chinese liar now?

what would you put mc at bodyfat wise?

also, i wouldn't say that he's exactly fat, unless you define fat as over 8-9% bodyfat lol

The Italian Lifter

• Getbig IV
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2013, 08:27:42 AM »
shit galeniko, after seeing your pics I'll go to dinner at mcdonalds  >:(
North of Italy

TrueBB93

• Getbig III
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2013, 08:30:42 AM »
hm, i dont think 20 sets per bodypart is much, i always do that.

musclecenter, youre quite fat man, the muscle pops out somewhat due to steroids use, but look at your navel, its burried in fat.

look, this is lean:

can someone translate "hope this helps" for our resident chinese liar now?

nice physique man, good shape. Im sure if you add 20 lbs more muscle you would look crazy