Getbig Bodybuilding, Figure and Fitness Forums
October 25, 2014, 02:06:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FRANK ZANE boycotted the Mr Olympia contest after the controversial 1980 contest  (Read 15359 times)
CREALMADRID
Getbig III

« on: January 13, 2013, 02:00:32 AM »

Whats the story behind that,obviously he wasnt happy with ARNOLDs win!
Report to moderator   Logged
Hurricane Beef !
Getbig IV

Mogulgangi is INSIGHT!!!

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 03:01:51 AM »

As did Coe, Mentzer and a few others. Dickerson was in fact part of the boycott and backed out last minute . . . who would have thought one of them would do that.

THE BEEF
Purge_WTF
Getbig V

Constitution Party forever.

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 11:12:53 AM »

Can't really blame them. Zane said that many of the guys didn't talk to Arnold for a long time after 1980.

Psalm 23.
andreisdaman
Getbig V

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013, 11:25:44 AM »

Can't really blame them. Zane said that many of the guys didn't talk to Arnold for a long time after 1980.

From what I understand, Arnold wasn't supposed to compete..he had retired a few years before.....Zane said he saw Arnold in the gym training really hard one day and this shocked him...he went over to Arnold and asked him point blank if he was going to compete at the next Olympia and Arnold said no...that he was just trying to get back in shape.....All the athletes were shocked when Arnold appeared at the pre-Olympia meeting....

I think they all felt betrayed because Arnold lied to them and also some strings were supposedly pulled so Arnold could compete since he had missed the deadline to formally sign up..

All this is what led to people believing that Arnold was given the Olympia on a silver platter by his friends in the industry.

Supposedly Arnold was upset with Zane because Arnold was working as a TV commentator and interviewer   at Zane's last Olympia win and Zane embarassed Arnold on live TV.... while Arnold was interviewing him, Arnold asked him about his great conditioning.....and Zane replied with "I haven't been in this great a shape since I beat you" referring to some past contest they were in....this supposedly incensed Arnold to the point where he wanted revenge..hence his entering the Olympia
6 Reps
Getbig II

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013, 11:32:06 AM »

I often wondered if the reason Arnold did the 1980 Olympia was because his movie career wasn't going that well at that time.  Remember, this was four years before Terminator.
andreisdaman
Getbig V

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2013, 11:34:49 AM »

I often wondered if the reason Arnold did the 1980 Olympia was because his movie career wasn't going that well at that time.  Remember, this was four years before Terminator.

Arnold was working as a TV commentator...I think he was doing quite well
jwb
Getbig V

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2013, 11:47:56 AM »

Arnold was the promoter of the 1981 Olympia so that is why they weren't going to compete.
ChopperRider
Getbig V

Ugly, bald Shitso scalp for sale = $1

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2013, 12:20:24 PM »

Arnold was the promoter of the 1981 Olympia so that is why they weren't going to compete.

Correct, they felt they wouldn't get a fair shake against a friend of Arnold's like Franco Columbu.
Figo
Getbig V

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2013, 12:59:48 PM »

Conan was being folmed in spain, and delayed by a year

Arnold's spin was that he decided to do and train for the show in 6 weeks, meanwhile it secretely was more like 6 months under the guise of training for conan the barbarian

He had already done enough work to be considered an actor, and also wasn't struggling financially
hazbin
Competitors
Getbig V

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2013, 01:01:18 PM »

it wasn't the first time Arnold betrayed the american bodybuilders.  in the late 60's he was friendly with them all until franco arrived. then he called them all paper champions in an article.
Figo
Getbig V

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2013, 01:03:58 PM »

In 76, arnold was also co-promoter with lorimer

Coincidentally, franco won then, too ! Over Zane, who was arguably better on the day
arce1988
Getbig V

ARCE USA USMC

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2013, 03:33:29 PM »

they all felt betrayed because Arnold lied to them
hench
Getbig IV

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2013, 04:21:50 PM »

arnold wanted to teach zane and mentzer a lesson, he said this a few times.
Viking11
Competitors
Getbig IV

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2013, 06:05:36 PM »

arnold wanted to teach zane and mentzer a lesson, he said this a few times.
What lesson? That he owned the IFBB? 
oldtimer1
Getbig V

Getbig!

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2013, 06:14:13 PM »

The winner of a bodybuilding contest is a subjective thing. I watched the film of the 1980 contest. Even though Arnold was at 80% he looked better than anyone else at that contest. Zane and Dickerson was the most ripped. I could have seen Dickerson winning looking at still pictures. Mentzer looked good but he wasn't the winner when three guys looked better. Look at anyone standing by Arnold in the film and he just looked better.
wolfgang187
Getbig IV

My power is discombobulatingly & devastating!

« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2013, 11:14:14 PM »

HA HA HA HA SILLY KIDS. NOW YOU KNOW WHY ARNOLD IS NUMBER #1.
Figo
Getbig V

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2013, 12:17:33 AM »

The winner of a bodybuilding contest is a subjective thing. I watched the film of the 1980 contest. Even though Arnold was at 80% he looked better than anyone else at that contest. Zane and Dickerson was the most ripped. I could have seen Dickerson winning looking at still pictures. Mentzer looked good but he wasn't the winner when three guys looked better. Look at anyone standing by Arnold in the film and he just looked better.

Zane was nowehere near his best because of hospital stay and muscle loss

Arnold was probably the best. Platz was overlooked, he deserved higher

For some reason, mentzer and coe both thought they were mr olympia that day
NotMrAverage
Getbig IV

SCHPORT

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2013, 12:21:32 AM »

I think Arnold won this contest fair and I have`nt seen video footage. Even if Arnold was`nt at his best, he was good enough. One thing that could be said against him was the he did`nt do some of the mandatory poses. Side triceps and rear latspread. It`s almost impossible to find a pic of Arnold doing rear latspread even from his better years. Kinda like the opposite of Yates.

MIRAGETROPIN
Wiggs
Getbig V

Child of Y'srael

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2013, 12:26:10 AM »

Arnold's a scumbag. He wasn't supposed to be allowed to enter the show last min. Of course the IFBB made an exception cause he's Arnold. That's an obvious violation of the rules. There's no rule about exceptions. You sign a contract by a deadline for a reason. Arnold 6 time Mr. O. Dorian is the better 6 time Mr. O.

NotMrAverage
Getbig IV

SCHPORT

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2013, 12:32:28 AM »

Arnie actually had seven wins.

MIRAGETROPIN
Wiggs
Getbig V

Child of Y'srael

« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2013, 12:37:29 AM »

Arnie actually had seven wins.

No, 1980 doesn't count. Null and void. 6x Mr. O. Dorian is the better 6x Mr. O. Arnold is a prick.

Vince Basile
Getbig V

Mr Canada 1970

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2013, 12:46:49 AM »

Some of us in Sydney knew Arnold had enterred the Olympia in 1980 about a month beforehand. Paul Graham, the promoter, told me but to not broadcast it. So it was no last minute entry.
Paul and Arnold were mates, however, and lived together in LA just after Arnold arrived in America.

Zane is a cocky guy and when Arnold suggested that winning the Olympia for the third time must made him feel the best ever Frank smugly replied that no, beating Arnold for the Universe in Miami in 1968 was a bigger thrill. That pissed Arnold off. Guys like Arnold are already motivated so adding fuel to the fire is not helping things. He trained in secret. Then Frank got hurt just before the contest and lost some size. He damaged his urethra in a swimming pool when he fell. Ouch.

Read the long thread of 38 pages over at Ironage for more photos and details. It is all there. However, you have to join the site first to read the forums.
wild willie
Getbig V

« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2013, 12:50:41 AM »

No, 1980 doesn't count. Null and void. 6x Mr. O. Dorian is the better 6x Mr. O. Arnold is a prick.
1980 doesn't count?Huh it is in the record books!
Figo
Getbig V

« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2013, 12:52:23 AM »

Some of us in Sydney knew Arnold had enterred the Olympia in 1980 about a month beforehand. Paul Graham, the promoter, told me but to not broadcast it. So it was no last minute entry.
Paul and Arnold were mates, however, and lived together in LA just after Arnold arrived in America.

Zane is a cocky guy and when Arnold suggested that winning the Olympia for the third time must made him feel the best ever Frank smugly replied that no, beating Arnold for the Universe in Miami in 1968 was a bigger thrill. That pissed Arnold off. Guys like Arnold are already motivated so adding fuel to the fire is not helping things. He trained in secret. Then Frank got hurt just before the contest and lost some size. He damaged his urethra in a swimming pool when he fell. Ouch.

Read the long thread of 38 pages over at Ironage for more photos and details. It is all there. However, you have to join the site first to read the forums.

Is Paul Graham the guy that's giggling at everything Arnold says and fawning over him backstage? The one he shares the Jim Beam joke with..wearing a jacket
wild willie
Getbig V

« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2013, 12:54:02 AM »

i think that guy is bill drake....
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Theme created by Egad Community. Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.20 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!