Author Topic: FRANK ZANE boycotted the Mr Olympia contest after the controversial 1980 contest  (Read 57896 times)

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
1980 doesn't count???? it is in the record books!

Fine then, here you go. "*".

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Whats the story behind that,obviously he wasnt happy with ARNOLDs win!

1. In 1980, there was no one clear, obvious winner.
Plus, the field was very evenly matched with a variety of different physique types.
 I believe that 7 different judges picked a different guy for 1st place on their scorecard.
 After throwning out the high and low of all the judges ( 11 total I think? ) Arnold had the lowest overall placement score.

2. Arnold made a stink about bringing back the two different wt classes ( under/over 200) from his last Olympia in 1975.
Mentzer had a meltdown and wanted to fight Arnold and most of the others were pissed off at Arnold.
Arnold then laughed it off and withdrew the request.

3. Platz looked great and said in this close show, Arnold's charisma would steal the attention and win the day .

I agree with Platz because I have seen the video and heard all the tales of the 1980 Olympia. In a close contest Arnold would dominate in the end because of his bigger then life persona.

Voice of Doom

• Getbig IV
  • Everything is under control.
The only guy who has a legitimate reason to complain is Platz.  The rest were all hurt because with Arnold's shadow out of the game for five years it was their turn to try and do what he did.  He came back and won and they all scattered to the wind.

LATS

• Getbig IV
 Watch the video.. Arnold ws not the winner.. Not really even close.. Some magazine editors had him in 4th or 5th.. The guys weren't mad persae at Arnold entering but they knew that with himi inthe show he would win whether it was deserved or not.. It really was a travesty.. He was not the winner.. Boos echoed through that place..

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
1. In 1980, there was no one clear, obvious winner.
Plus, the field was very evenly matched with a variety of different physique types.
 I believe that 7 different judges picked a different guy for 1st place on their scorecard.
 After throwning out the high and low of all the judges ( 11 total I think? ) Arnold had the lowest overall placement score.

2. Arnold made a stink about bringing back the two different wt classes ( under/over 200) from his last Olympia in 1975.
Mentzer had a meltdown and wanted to fight Arnold and most of the others were pissed off at Arnold.
Arnold then laughed it off and withdrew the request.

3. Platz looked great and said in this close show, Arnold's charisma would steal the attention and win the day .

I agree with Platz because I have seen the video and heard all the tales of the 1980 Olympia. In a close contest Arnold would dominate in the end because of his bigger then life persona.

Are you fucking kidding me? Wow Howard ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)
Show me how where in the IFBB handbook it shows how to judge that ::) and you were/are an NPC judge. Your line of thinking makes alot of sense now.

hazbin

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
i think arnold was already millionaire before his first movie.

if anyone knows, then itll be you, have you read something on this?

maybe not before hercules goes bananas, but def. before pumping iron

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B
Arnold Pwnd them all, and drove mentzer insane.  he is the original Getbigger.

He told mentzer "you have a weak chest and fat stomach!!" to his face,  that's gangster.

US MUSL

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
I remember reading years ago where Arnold and Joe Weider made a real estate deal in Colorado and made a $10m profit. Supposedly this is how Arnold initially became a millionaire

doriancutlerman

• Getbig IV

He told mentzer "you have a weak chest and fat stomach!!" to his face,  that's gangster.

I don't think he said anything about Mentzer's chest, or fat stomach as such.  The comment was something more along the lines of, "Come on, Mentzer, we all know Frank beat you last year because you let your stomach hang out all the time." 

Something like that, anyway. 

Papper

• Getbig V
  • Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do.

Zane is a cocky guy and when Arnold suggested that winning the Olympia for the third time must made him feel the best ever Frank smugly replied that no, beating Arnold for the Universe in Miami in 1968 was a bigger thrill. That pissed Arnold off. Guys like Arnold are already motivated so adding fuel to the fire is not ...

Silly little swimmer shouldn't have pissed off the great Arnold like that. Serves him right.

arce1988

• Getbig V
  • ARCE USA USMC
  Arnold still bigger than all of them   

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
 ;D

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B

oldman

• Getbig III
ok when we were backstage, Arnold starting giving Mentzer a hard time about his training theory and his gut...

Mike got pissed, Arnold got into his head and he wanted a piece of Arnolds ass...thank god Ken was there to help Arnold.  Its not that Arnold wouldnt fight, but he just wanted Mike to go over the edge, and he did.

I was in great shape, I would have given it to Roger Walker, I always thought he had a great build.

The reason Arnold won, is that when we look at him, we dont see his condition, we see what he used to look like.  Thats why he won, he is the greatest
in everyones head.

and yes, zane broke his trophy...mike would never be the same...and I retired as well.

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
ok when we were backstage, Arnold starting giving Mentzer a hard time about his training theory and his gut...

Mike got pissed, Arnold got into his head and he wanted a piece of Arnolds ass...thank god Ken was there to help Arnold.  Its not that Arnold wouldnt fight, but he just wanted Mike to go over the edge, and he did.

I was in great shape, I would have given it to Roger Walker, I always thought he had a great build.

The reason Arnold won, is that when we look at him, we dont see his condition, we see what he used to look like.  Thats why he won, he is the greatest
in everyones head.

and yes, zane broke his trophy...mike would never be the same...and I retired as well.

which competitor were you?..sorrry...I don't come to this part of the board often..my apologies

oldman

• Getbig III
and that my friend will remain a secret, but who cares about the old days...

andreisdaman

• Getbig V

okay..fair enough..but I don't understand what the big secret is..you should say who you are so you can get the respect you deserve..but I understand

Ronnie Rep

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
I for one care about the old days,which have shaped modern Bodybuilding! Who are you?

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael

Holy shit. Your one of the pioneers. You should be more vocal sir. More stories from the good ol days please.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!

..and I retired as well.

Hi, Roger!  ;D

Kwon_2

• Getbig V
  • Pretty sure he isn't in Ibiza getting the girls

Mike got pissed, Arnold got into his head and he wanted a piece of Arnolds ass...thank god Ken was there to help Arnold.  Its not that Arnold wouldnt fight, but he just wanted Mike to go over the edge, and he did.

The reason Arnold won, is that when we look at him, we dont see his condition, we see what he used to look like.  Thats why he won, he is the greatest
in everyones head.

You are not Vince Basile, are you in this picture though? :D

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael

Can you compare the aura of Arnold in bodybuilding back then to anyone else in bodybuilding? Was he as big of an asshole as most have heard?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
the winner is the one who best represents the sport - and NOT the bes tphysique.

Titus could get out of prison, run some crazy stack, win the NY Pro and enter the O and destroy everyone onstage - he ain't getting the title.

Master Blaster

• Getbig V
  • Not sure if getbig full of trolls or trolls getbig

THIS ^ x 10000

Figo

• Getbig V
i think arnold was already millionaire before his first movie.

if anyone knows, then itll be you, have you read something on this?

Arnold already had cash, he had real estate, he made money all the while from his courses, seminars, advertising all his products in weider mags back in the day, and when Joe tried to get clever, about the money he was making on the side, plus favourable advertising rates,he sued him. Always the businessman, from day one. 

I don't know if he was a millionaire in cash, but he had money already