Author Topic: FRANK ZANE boycotted the Mr Olympia contest after the controversial 1980 contest  (Read 57961 times)

Figo

• Getbig V
ok when we were backstage, Arnold starting giving Mentzer a hard time about his training theory and his gut...

Mike got pissed, Arnold got into his head and he wanted a piece of Arnolds ass...thank god Ken was there to help Arnold.  Its not that Arnold wouldnt fight, but he just wanted Mike to go over the edge, and he did.

I was in great shape, I would have given it to Roger Walker, I always thought he had a great build.

The reason Arnold won, is that when we look at him, we dont see his condition, we see what he used to look like.  Thats why he won, he is the greatest
in everyones head.

and yes, zane broke his trophy...mike would never be the same...and I retired as well.

Did you actually do the 80 show ? Or were you just backstage on the day ?

The Italian Lifter

• Getbig IV
  • I need an English dictionary!
ok when we were backstage, Arnold starting giving Mentzer a hard time about his training theory and his gut...

Mike got pissed, Arnold got into his head and he wanted a piece of Arnolds ass...thank god Ken was there to help Arnold.  Its not that Arnold wouldnt fight, but he just wanted Mike to go over the edge, and he did.

I was in great shape, I would have given it to Roger Walker, I always thought he had a great build.

The reason Arnold won, is that when we look at him, we dont see his condition, we see what he used to look like.  Thats why he won, he is the greatest
in everyones head.

and yes, zane broke his trophy...mike would never be the same...and I retired as well.
please share your stories Sir
North of Italy

Figo

• Getbig V

hipolito mejia

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Zane,Mentzer,Boyer etc remained friends and used to talk about IFBB INJUSTICE right after the 1980 MrO until Mentzer passing in 01'. There's a lot of interesting stories about Franco and Arnold BS. But guys like Zane won't talked about in public because anyone who does simply becomes "the bad guy"..... Arnold is too popular powerful to be even questioned. 

Figo

• Getbig V
Zane and arnold were pretty close, these "he said, she said" stories, are magazine propaganda

Obviously the guys were upset with 80 and 81, its obvious what happened, but arnold sells, that's what weider is all about, the mr olympia contest was created by the weiders towards an end, a marketing, money-making end for themselves

Boyer coe actually thought he was going to be mr olympia, mentzer was also sure he himself was the clear winner, especially with all the mags building him up after 79, and then zane got injured, but out of nowhere the blue eyed boy comes back, and "oh fuck!" Shattered dreams...

Purge_WTF

There's no denying his legacy in bodybuilding and the attention he brought to it, but the 1980 Olympia fiasco was just one in a series of events--the latest being his marital infidelities--that prove that Arnold is a self-serving egomaniac.

I don't agree with him on much, but what Valentino said in Bigger, Stronger, Faster about celebrities and how they act when the cameras aren't rolling was spot-on.

The Italian Lifter

• Getbig IV
  • I need an English dictionary!
There's no denying his legacy in bodybuilding and the attention he brought to it, but the 1980 Olympia fiasco was just one in a series of events--the latest being his marital infidelities--that prove that Arnold is a self-serving egomaniac.

I don't agree with him on much, but what Valentino said in Bigger, Stronger, Faster about celebrities and how they act when the cameras aren't rolling was spot-on.

what he said?
North of Italy

SilverSpoon

• Getbig IV
Haha!!!

"Natural" O!!!!!

That cracks me up every time I see it.

Natural_O

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Haha!!!

"Natural" O!!!!!

That cracks me up every time I see it.

It's a riot!!  ::)

ARNIE1947

• Getbig IV
 8)

ARNIE1947

• Getbig IV
 8)

Natural_O

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
thank you John a  great read.

Thanks Donny!

oldman

• Getbig III
Reading stories and knowing the real people who are the bodybuilders is entirely two different worlds, sometimes funny and sometimes a shame.  I always wanted to look like a super hero ever since I read my first comic book.  A huge powerlifter helped me begin lifting, I knew nothing.  I weighed 135 at six ft even.  In a year, I got to 185 and people started asking me if I lifted weights.  Remember, bodybuilding was thought to be homosexual back then.  I was afraid to purchase bodybuilding magazines for fear of being accused of being homo...
I was one of the few bbs that actually had a career and education.  I was able to bodybuild because I was single.

I will say this, if you saw tom platz at the gym in warm ups, you would never know he was a bodybuilder.  I was at the world gym in santa monica talking with Zabo...the guy Zane was working out with dwarfed Zane.  Now Szkalak, he was a big boy...but he fucked with weider and lost.  If you saw Dont Make Waves, you saw me.  No not Draper...another great bb.

Guys, I just noticed some pms you sent, give me time...peace.

oldman

• Getbig III
I got a pm asking about my favorite bbers...there were alot of amateurs that never made it to pro...but I thought Dave Draper was amazing when he was larger, he became more symetrical with age.  A humble boy, alot was thrown at him and he ended up a slave to the bottle and lost it. Many 70-80s bbers have been passed over, I think those were the best years.  It was still attainable, now bbers are huge, big guts, and barely able to move.

Remember not too long ago when the AAU Mr America was held in high esteem, you had to perform weight lifting moves even to compete as a bodybuilder.

Where ever I go, I am asked if I lift weights, only being 230 at my age and "natty"  hahahahahahaa

anyway, Boyer Coe...yes even I thought he would be a Mr Olympia...crazy muscles, very angular, crazy legs and calves, and back and arms!!!

jaejonna

• Getbig V
  • Head Asian of Getbig
If you say you 'retired' from bodybuilding  after 1980 Mr O then you are the only person highlighted in the graphic below. Other than 'him', every competitor entered a BB contest after the 1980 Mr. Olympia.
L

oldman

• Getbig III
I dont recall saying that I retired after the show...I thought I said that I was there as in backstage.

bebop396

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Amazing thread, keep them coming Oldman...

jaejonna

• Getbig V
  • Head Asian of Getbig
I inferred from this statement...but if you mean you retired from BB in general after that ..then you could be anyone cause none of you still compete lol

.... damn I thought I caught you Arnold ...you are the King !!!!
L

jaejonna

• Getbig V
  • Head Asian of Getbig
also in recent interviews Arnold does refer to himself many times as 'an oldman' ...just like in his new movie, its the catch phrase actually of the whole film. lol ....
L

RRKore

• Getbig IV
If you say you 'retired' from bodybuilding  after 1980 Mr O then you are the only person highlighted in the graphic below. Other than 'him', every competitor entered a BB contest after the 1980 Mr. Olympia.

Hmmmm, oldman also says that he's 6ft tall.  That's gotta narrow it down.

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
Hmmmm, oldman also says that he's 6ft tall.  That's gotta narrow it down.

is this gonna turn inot another gh15?

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
If you saw Dont Make Waves, you saw me.  No not Draper...another great bb.

The only two top bodybuilders besides Dave Draper in Don't Make Waves were Reg Lewis and Chester Yorton. Chet is 6 feet, not sure about Reg but I think he is shorter than that.

I met Chet in LA at a gym in Santa Monica in October 1968.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
We all thought Sharon Tate was a doll in those days. Pretty, nice body and athletic. She died not long after that movie. A pity.