Author Topic: PED  (Read 942 times)

arce1988

• Getbig V
  • ARCE USA USMC
PED
« on: January 14, 2013, 03:07:22 PM »
ESPN: Some fighters in their 30s have been diagnosed with low testosterone levels and received exemptions to use testosterone replacement therapy [TRT]. Have you ever applied for TRT or would you consider it?

Belfort: If a question is private, I have the choice to answer or not. If I make it public, it’s not private anymore. If I want to say something private I will say it, but I keep to myself and I respect the laws of the sport. Whatever the organization, whatever the law -- they know what to do. This is too controversial, why am I going to say something that doesn’t accomplish anything? If it’s legal, they know what to do. If it’s legal, there’s nothing to say about it. It’s legal.

ESPN: As you mention, TRT is legal for fighters who qualify for it. Do you believe it’s getting a bad image in the sport? Fans are too quick to judge fighters who use it?

Belfort: It’s hard. Like, you’re either a Republican or Democrat. Who is right? I think it’s this: The truth is always in the middle. Of course, some things are non-negotiable. I think in life, you just need to find a balance. That’s the problem with the rule, is that everyone is so radical. That’s my opinion. I’m very faithful to the things I believe in and I’m working on myself. I don’t like to judge. When you judge people, it sounds like you are God. We live in a freedom country. It is what it is.

arce1988

• Getbig V
  • ARCE USA USMC
Re: PED
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 04:51:01 PM »
 He does not come out and admit it. He answered just like Ricky Martin answered Oprah about being a homosexual. I hope Lance does not answer the same way as them.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 04:53:43 PM »
i thought PEDs were a standard clause in a UFC contract? don't they have to take them?

FILT!

AVBG

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 05:19:57 PM »
If people shy away from answering the question then they obviously feel some element of guilt in taking (acknowleding) their "medication" ... If it's legal then WTF do they have to fear by being upfront with the answer?

Furthermore, in combat sports I think full disclosure of TRT/HRT to the sanctioning body/opponent(s) is the way to go.

IF the organization had credibility they would actually take it a step further and rule out as medically unfit anyone taking TRT.

arce1988

• Getbig V
  • ARCE USA USMC
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2013, 07:50:43 PM »
TRT saga rages on

February, 8, 2013
FEB 8
7:30
AM ET
By Josh Gross
ESPN.com

A month ago, prior to knocking out Michael Bisping in Brazil, Vitor Belfort was asked a direct question by ESPN.com's Brett Okamoto: Had the 34-year-old Brazilian ever applied for or considered using testosterone replacement therapy?

Belfort rambled through a winding nonanswer. Something about public and private information that's all so controversial it's not worth saying anything at all. Well, it didn't take a genius to figure out what the deal was because odds are if you're not on TRT, you'd probably say so.

On Wednesday, UFC officials cleared the fog (at least a layer of it) by confirming Belfort was "diagnosed with hypogonadism, or low testosterone" and "had been on medically approved testosterone replacement therapy under the supervision of a medical doctor from the state of Nevada."

In the face of rumors that he either tested positive or was using a therapeutic use exemption for TRT, Belfort's display last weekend in Las Vegas to reporters now borders on ridiculous.

Responding to anyone that might have wondered what was up, Belfort said: "I think people get jealous when a guy of my age is destroying these people getting title shots.”

A guy his age -- taking shots. Or rubbing in a cream. Or whatever.

We know now that Belfort -- challenged by anabolic steroid rumors even during his earliest days in the UFC, which were confirmed in 2006 by a nine-month suspension and a $10,000 fine payable to the state of Nevada after too much testosterone was found in his system (he blamed not knowing what a doctor had injected into him) -- is allowed to boost up his levels.

This raises questions.

Should fighters be notified when their opponents have been cleared for testosterone replacement therapy?

For instance, how does a guy who tested positive for steroids remain eligible for a therapeutic use exemption for testosterone?

It turns out this is possible. The Nevada State Athletic Commission, for instance, does not prohibit fighters who tested positive for PEDs from getting a script for testosterone.

"The issue would be if an applicant's condition was caused by PED usage," said NSAC executive director Keith Kizer. "The applicant's burden would be much higher."

One could also say the same about the body responsible for setting and enforcing that burden. It's unclear how it was handled by Zuffa, which essentially ran the event while reportedly showing a new Brazilian athletic commission the ropes.

"The purpose of a medically administered TRT regimen is to allow patients with hypogonadism to maintain testosterone levels within a range that is normal for an adult male," the promotion said in a statement.

The potential for abuse seems obvious, so it's fair to wonder whether or not Belfort was monitored during his camp. It doesn't seem adequate to only test TRT patients around the fight.

What role did the UFC have in monitoring Belfort, particularly for an overseas event in which it essentially acts as a regulator?

Should Michael Bisping, at 33 just a year younger than Belfort, have been notified that his opponent was under the care of a medical doctor for low testosterone? And that this care allowed him to inject testosterone?

As pointed out in different places, three of Bisping’s last four losses have come against guys under the TRT therapy.

Does the public have a right to know before the fact? There is wagering happening. I imagine it would be helpful to know which fighters are augmented and which aren’t.

TRT isn’t going away anytime soon. It’s a fact of life in the UFC, and needs to be managed the right way.