Author Topic: Xbox 720 and PS4 to launch this fall?  (Read 11571 times)

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
Re: Xbox 720 and PS4 to launch this fall?
« Reply #125 on: January 18, 2013, 07:35:20 PM »
Texan,

My man, VGAChartz is behind the times. Here are the latest shipped/sold data.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-01-09-idc-game-consoles-discs-to-remain-revenue-mainstays-for-years-to-come

PS3 has sold more but the XBox 360 is better  ;D

Shipped and sold are not synonymous.   Shipped does not equal sold.

But like Tu said, it's irrelevant.

Sony took a bath on the PS3.
Y

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #126 on: January 18, 2013, 07:38:20 PM »
They should just make modular upgrades during the life cycle of a console to add more ram, cpu power, graphics power.  Then again, it would just be a full blown PC at that point.

That's pretty much what Valve is trying to Do with their new steam box console.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/gabe-newell-discusses-valves-steam-box-intentions-6402156

TommyBoy

• Getbig IV
  • What's the vector, Victor?
« Reply #127 on: January 19, 2013, 12:17:43 AM »
Why are they crapping their pants?  Halo, Gears of War, Uncharted, MGS, God of War, etc.... will never on the supposed Valve box.   There's more than enough console exclusives to support the genre.  They're completely different markets anyway.

If the Console is crapping over the PC, is the PC crapping over the Tablet?   There's enough user to support the three markets.

That is short-term thinking. The goal with Valve is obviously long-term. They are actively striving to make PCs as accessible and easy to use as a console. Once they achieve this, you have just given every bro who loves his Call of Madden 20XX easy access to literally decades of titles which will work on their "console" forever. No longer do you have to worry about your gaming collection becoming null and void on the new system just because "insert company here" is doing a cash grab by not making their next piece of hardware backwards compatible. Not to mention if developers notice a rise in PC sales more will have no hesitation at all to not only do solid ports, but exclusively develop for PC again with the MS/Sony/Nintendo as the systems to port to, whereas right now it is the other way around.

If Valve do this thing right then MS/Sony are going to have to definitely change their way of thinking. Definitely Sony. Sony has been dropping the ball left and right making stupid decisions about great hardware.  I have watched Valve since they were still working on HL1, I fully expect them to do this thing right. They already have their own online "store" and are considered by most gamers to be PC Gaming already.

One thing I don't think people are considering when it comes to "BUT CONSOLE EXCLUSIVES" is the fact that yes, these will sell systems. No doubt. But...With PC gaming, and Steam, your purchase is with you, no matter what piece of hardware you are on. Even 10 years from now. Your gaming collection becomes a more usable collection, as opposed to something you put in storage when the new consoles come out and have to go digging around if you get a hankering to play that game from 2002 again.  Also, I guarantee they will be actively making sure titles are up to date and compatible with people's current hardware and OSes, like GOG does.

And yes, everyone in gaming right now is noticing tablets/mobile. Especially Valve. They aren't stupid, they are going where there is potential for cash. Tablets and smart phones aren't replacing big screen gaming experiences for a good while. Not until the hardware/software in the things can support everything and being able to interface with all your devices, and play on your delicious 4K TV (or higher!) is the standard.

Sony took a bath on the Vita.

Fixed! Great hardware....ridiculously stupid decisions. Many facepalms to be had.

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #128 on: January 19, 2013, 08:52:21 AM »
That is short-term thinking. The goal with Valve is obviously long-term. They are actively striving to make PCs as accessible and easy to use as a console. Once they achieve this, you have just given every bro who loves his Call of Madden 20XX easy access to literally decades of titles which will work on their "console" forever. No longer do you have to worry about your gaming collection becoming null and void on the new system just because "insert company here" is doing a cash grab by not making their next piece of hardware backwards compatible. Not to mention if developers notice a rise in PC sales more will have no hesitation at all to not only do solid ports, but exclusively develop for PC again with the MS/Sony/Nintendo as the systems to port to, whereas right now it is the other way around.

If Valve do this thing right then MS/Sony are going to have to definitely change their way of thinking. Definitely Sony. Sony has been dropping the ball left and right making stupid decisions about great hardware.  I have watched Valve since they were still working on HL1, I fully expect them to do this thing right. They already have their own online "store" and are considered by most gamers to be PC Gaming already.

One thing I don't think people are considering when it comes to "BUT CONSOLE EXCLUSIVES" is the fact that yes, these will sell systems. No doubt. But...With PC gaming, and Steam, your purchase is with you, no matter what piece of hardware you are on. Even 10 years from now. Your gaming collection becomes a more usable collection, as opposed to something you put in storage when the new consoles come out and have to go digging around if you get a hankering to play that game from 2002 again.  Also, I guarantee they will be actively making sure titles are up to date and compatible with people's current hardware and OSes, like GOG does.

And yes, everyone in gaming right now is noticing tablets/mobile. Especially Valve. They aren't stupid, they are going where there is potential for cash. Tablets and smart phones aren't replacing big screen gaming experiences for a good while. Not until the hardware/software in the things can support everything and being able to interface with all your devices, and play on your delicious 4K TV (or higher!) is the standard.

Fixed! Great hardware....ridiculously stupid decisions. Many facepalms to be had.

so, every "bro" gamer cares about backwards compatibility now? ???

or, what is your point?

i don't think BC is hugely important to a lot of people.  i'm the classic example of a person for whom this SHOULD be a sales point... i've spent tons of time going back buying and playing old games for as long as i can remember.  but i think people like me are the extreme minority, and besides, BC has almost no sway on my purchasing decision when it comes to new consoles anyway.

admittedly, i haven't kept up on the "steam box" at all, but i can't imagine, if it does do anything interesting, that MS and Sony won't be able to just copy it.

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #129 on: January 19, 2013, 12:33:43 PM »
Microsoft is clearly the best (I have both) Xbox Live is 1000x better then Playstion. The only thing Playstation had was the Blueray player, and some good exclusives.

i also have both

the exclusives kill 360 exclusives and it's only getting better, though i would say 360 has better overall downloadable games but msot people don't even know those exist

E
E

Henda

• Getbig V
« Reply #130 on: January 19, 2013, 04:06:21 PM »
so, every "bro" gamer cares about backwards compatibility now? ???

or, what is your point?

i don't think BC is hugely important to a lot of people.  i'm the classic example of a person for whom this SHOULD be a sales point... i've spent tons of time going back buying and playing old games for as long as i can remember.  but i think people like me are the extreme minority, and besides, BC has almost no sway on my purchasing decision when it comes to new consoles anyway.

admittedly, i haven't kept up on the "steam box" at all, but i can't imagine, if it does do anything interesting, that MS and Sony won't be able to just copy it.

I too like the idea of BC, I dont like the idea of nit being able to play old games when the new xbox comes out and am far too lazy to dig an old console out and rig it up to play older games.
It would be great if the new xbox could play the 360 games.