Author Topic: Stopping drugs cold turkey  (Read 5841 times)

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
Stopping drugs cold turkey
« on: January 16, 2013, 01:37:44 PM »
I know a person that abused drugs for a few years (opiates), than saw something that scared them and quit without rehab or any kind of detox or whatever.  They were sick as fuck for a day, but than, over it completely.

It's been a few years and this person hasn't touched any drugs.

How can that work?  I was just watching something on TV that made me curious about it?

I thought you generally had to come off slowly, maybe get some counseling, etc...

???

ukjeff

Re: Stopping drugs cold turkey
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 01:39:31 PM »
Just come off slowly, its easier on your system.

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 01:40:32 PM »
I know a person that abused drugs for a few years (opiates), than saw something that scared them and quit without rehab or any kind of detox or whatever.  They were sick as fuck for a day, but than, over it completely.

How can that work?  I was just watching something on TV that made me curious about it?

I thought you generally had to come off slowly, maybe get some counseling, etc...

???

Depends on what they were on, how long, focus and will power.  But generally yes, you should get counseling to address the underlying problem and taper if you were on a high dosages of whatever you're abusing.

Borracho

• Getbig V
  • Waking up is possible if ur tired of the dream....
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 01:42:41 PM »
Depends on the drug used, doses and the period of time they took them. Opiates you can get really sick from withdrawals but unless you have some underlying health condition it won't kill you....alcohol and benzos you have to be careful with.

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 02:06:48 PM »
He's probably not being honest about only feeling effects for a day. In the end it ends up being a mind over matter to be able to stop cold turkey.

hrspwr1

• Getbig III
  • flirtin with disaster everyday
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 02:54:05 PM »
I quit the booze cold turkey style, the first 7 days I wanted to kill something just to watch it die. After that it wasn`t as bad.

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 03:04:41 PM »
I quit the booze cold turkey style, the first 7 days I wanted to kill something just to watch it die. After that it wasn`t as bad.
Did you get DT's ie the shakes?

NotSure

• Getbig III
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2013, 03:19:26 PM »

???
Looking for a way out my friend?

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2013, 03:20:14 PM »

???
I've done it, after being a serious IV heroin/methadone abuser for years. It's much longer than a day depending on how long he used. I was terribly sick for weeks and not right for almost a year after I stopped. I also quit a serious meth habit prior to that... Which was a walk in the park compared to quitting opiates.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2013, 03:20:27 PM »
Depends on what they were on, how long, focus and will power.  But generally yes, you should get counseling to address the underlying problem and taper if you were on a high dosages of whatever you're abusing.

I guess it was a lot of Vicodin and the like.  They abused it heavily for at least four years.  I heard from someone that quitting Opiates cold turkey can kill you, so I guess I just kind of wondered how they accomplished quitting cold turkey.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2013, 03:21:40 PM »
Depends on the drug used, doses and the period of time they took them. Opiates you can get really sick from withdrawals but unless you have some underlying health condition it won't kill you....alcohol and benzos you have to be careful with.

Ohh, I see...

Do people commonly do this?  After watching so many rehab shows, and hearing so many horror stories it just seems pretty bizarre that someone could do that.

NotSure

• Getbig III
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2013, 03:22:22 PM »
I've done it, after being a serious IV heroin/methadone abuser for years. It's much longer than a day depending on how long he used. I was terribly sick for weeks and not right for almost a year after I stopped. I also quit a serious meth habit prior to that... Which was a walk in the park compared to quitting opiates.
All  the pieces of shit slowly coming out of the wood work.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2013, 03:22:53 PM »
I heard from someone that quitting Opiates cold turkey can kill you,
Quitting opiates cold turkey cannot kill you. I quit cold turkey and I'm just fine, and I was using an 8ball a day (on the low side, if I had money I was using almost a quarter a day). The only drugs that can kill you from the W/D's are alcohol and benzos.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2013, 03:23:24 PM »
All  the pieces of shit slowly coming out of the wood work.
Don't know where you've been, I've been very open in the past about my addiction and the utter shit it turned my life into.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2013, 03:27:08 PM »

Damn, congratulations!

Did anyone see that show with Laura Line about all the "Pill Mills" in Florida?  I guess people from the Midwest go down there and get all kinds of pills from doctors that will give you a prescription for anything?

I think it's insane how everyone is so hung up on Marijuana while people are legally abusing drugs like Oxycontin (with a doctors consent) that actually are dangerous.

Obvious Gimmick

• Getbig V
  • I'd hit it
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2013, 03:29:15 PM »
props to you shockwave and anyone battling addiction. Its a bitch. ive experienced it and seen it a million times.

it can be done. never ever stop trying to quit. there are alot of ifferent methods these days: medications, therapies, etc.

PM a brotha if you need/want to talk  :)

bradistani

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2013, 03:33:54 PM »
Don't know where you've been, I've been very open in the past about my addiction and the utter shit it turned my life into.

don't listen to that prick

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2013, 03:37:07 PM »
Again, it boggles my mind the damage Doctors can legally do with Prescription Pain Killers and all the other chemicals they give out.  All the while Marijuana scares the hell out of people.

:-\

Obvious Gimmick

• Getbig V
  • I'd hit it
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2013, 03:38:32 PM »
Again, it boggles my mind the damage Doctors can legally do with Prescription Pain Killers and all the other chemicals they give out.  All the while Marijuana scares the hell out of people.

:-\

gateway drug  ::)

bradistani

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2013, 03:42:08 PM »
gateway drug  ::)

lol, yes! one could argue that nicotine, by way of cigarettes, is the bigger 'gateway drug' of all

Obvious Gimmick

• Getbig V
  • I'd hit it
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2013, 03:45:43 PM »
lol, yes! one could argue that nicotine, by way of cigarettes, is the bigger 'gateway drug' of all

its funny how that shit is changing. i find it way more acceptable to smoke weed than cigarttes these days......at least around the people I know.

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2013, 03:50:58 PM »
All the pieces of shit slowly coming out of the wood work.

So a recovered addict is a piece of shit now huh?  ::)   You're scum.

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2013, 03:55:24 PM »

???
Truly a miracle. I have no respect for drug addicts but all the respect in the world for a drug addict that quit, not an easy feat by any means.

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2013, 04:09:33 PM »
Damn, congratulations!

Did anyone see that show with Laura Line about all the "Pill Mills" in Florida?  I guess people from the Midwest go down there and get all kinds of pills from doctors that will give you a prescription for anything?

I think it's insane how everyone is so hung up on Marijuana while people are legally abusing drugs like Oxycontin (with a doctors consent) that actually are dangerous.

Those pill mills in Florida you're talking about are and experiment by the Hierarchy. I've even heard rumors that some higher ups from Harvard medical are the ones behind the experiment.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2013, 04:11:23 PM »
Those pill mills in Florida you're talking about are and experiment by the Hierarchy. I've even heard rumors that some people at Harvard medical are the ones behind the experiment.
Whats the experiment? That people will go and pay money to get handed pharmaceutical grade opiates and benzos? Lol, I think they could have figured that one out on their own.