Author Topic: The-second-amendment-was-ratified-to-preserve-slavery?  (Read 531 times)

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
The-second-amendment-was-ratified-to-preserve-slavery?
« on: January 17, 2013, 12:22:13 PM »
Discuss this folks.   The words below are not my own.  I thought I would post something incendiary to get a discussion going. The source link is provided below the text.

The real reason the Second Amendment was ratified, and why it says "State" instead of "Country" (the Framers knew the difference - see the 10th Amendment), was to preserve the slave patrol militias in the southern states, which was necessary to get Virginia's vote.  Founders Patrick Henry, George Mason, and James Madison were totally clear on that . . . and we all should be too.......

http://truth-out.org/news/item/13890-the-second-amendment-was-ratified-to-preserve-slavery
A

Pray_4_War

• Getbig V
  • Thot Expert
Re: The-second-amendment-was-ratified-to-preserve-slavery?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 01:29:55 PM »
Having just read the text of the ratifying convention of 1788 on constitution.org, a lot of the debate quoted in this article is no where to be found.  There is hardly a mention of slavery in general and no mention of blacks or negros.  I think this is another case of someone reading into a discussion what they want to read into it.  Regardless, liberals might not like it, but the language in the 2nd Amendment is quite clear. 

The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

It clearly states that it is a right.  It also states that it is the people that have the right, not the militia.  It also states that the people don't only have the right to keep arms (in their homes), but they also have a right to bear them (carry or hold them).  It concludes by adamantly stating that this right shall not be infringed.

Merriam Webster's definition of infringe: to encroach upon in a way that violates law or the rights of another.

Merriam Webster's definition of encroach:  to enter by gradual steps or by stealth into the possessions or rights of another

Period