Author Topic: 'average' students honest & humble cover letter wows wall street bosses  (Read 5048 times)

bradistani

• Getbig V
EXCLUSIVE: Looks like he's got the job! Student who sent 'best ever cover letter saying he was at 'average' university with 'no special skills' is in talks with Wall Street bosses

By Rachel Quigley

PUBLISHED: 22:05, 16 January 2013 | UPDATED: 22:44, 16 January 2013

Humble: Matthew Ross was the consummate three-sports star at Placer High School and most recently wrote what is behind hailed as the best cover letter ever to Wall Street bosses

Ingenious: The undergraduate finance student penned a refreshingly sincere cover letter this week asking for an internship at a boutique investment bank on Wall Street

The finance student who penned what is being called the 'best cover letter ever' that took the internet by storm is set to be rewarded for his honesty as Wall Street bosses said today 'he is just the person they are looking for'.

Matthew Ross, a 22-year-old undergrad at San Diego State University, sent a refreshingly sincere cover letter by email yesterday that went viral.

Rather than inflating his qualifications and bragging about his grades or past job experiences, the humble applicant simply stated his case and matter-of-factly asked for an internship - even if it meant shining shoes.

He added: 'I have no unbelievably special skills or genius eccentricities.'

And today it appears that the 22-year-old's bold approach has paid off, reaffirming the old adage that honesty is indeed the best policy.

Ryan Bouley, an investment banker at Duff and Phelps, to whom he sent the email, said if someone with Matthew's qualities were to come on board, he certainly would not be shining shoes and said he is just the type of person the company are looking for.

'His candor, humility and willingness to roll his sleeves up and work hard to get the job done are all qualities we think represent our firm.'

Mr Bouley said the company have been in talks with Matthew about a possible summer internship and are 'excited about the possibility of bringing him on board'.

In the now famous letter, Matthew wrote: 'I am aware it is highly unusual for undergraduates from average universities like SDSU to intern at Duff and Phelps, but nevertheless I was hoping you might make an exception.

'I won’t waste your time inflating my credentials...the truth is I have no unbelievably special skills or genius eccentricities, but I do have a near perfect GPA and will work hard for you.'

He added that he would be happy just to 'fetch coffee, shine shoes or pick up laundry' and will work for 'next to nothing' just to be around professionals in the industry.

Matthew was revealed by MailOnline today to be an ambitious high school sports star whose outstanding athletic skills earned him almost heroic status at his high school in Auburn, Placer County.

His 'exploits on the athletic fields brought championships and stellar moments' to his high school, according to the Auburn Journal.

Not happy to excel in just one more sport, Matt was the consummate three-sport star at Placer High School before he graduated in 2009.

Company: Matthew Ross is seeking a coveted summer internship at finance and investment firm Duff and Phelps in New York

He was the starting quarterback for two years and led the football team to the Sac-Joaquin Section championship game in his senior year.

He was a starter on the basketball team for two years and his athleticism on the court was hailed as exceptional.

Matt was brought up to the varsity baseball team as a freshman and started for four years, with his final athletic moment coming when he was the winning pitcher in the section championship game against El Dorado, according to the Auburn Journal.

Despite the dazzling write-up in his local paper, even then Matt seemed to be self-deprecating about his skills and talents - despite coaches at the school raving about his leadership and character.

'I definitely enjoyed the camaraderie of each sport I played,' he said in an interview. 'I had a ton of fun just hanging out with all of my teammates. Also, every coach brought something different that I liked.'

He added that now he is studying finance at SDSU, he is taking academics 'more seriously'.

Athletic director at Placer High Mark Lee said of him in the same 2009 interview. 'There’s certain kids that you coach that really touch your heart. And Matt’s definitely one of them. We’ll really miss him next year.'

His mother Lynell Ross - a life coach and personal trainer - is another huge fan of Matthew, and told the MailOnline: 'Matt is a great kid, very smart and hard working, never afraid to put everything into everything he does.

'I am very lucky to be the mother of such two great smart kids. The letter sounds exactly like the type of thing Matt would write. He's great.'

All star: Matthew Ross was featured by his local newspaper for his excellence in high school football, basketball and baseball

Praise: The cover letter was sent around the bank and other Wall Street financial institutions

Nation-wide: The student may find himself inundated with calls today for job interviews or opportunities for internships

Interest: He might end up being more than just a lackey

The clear-eyed, candid letter instantly went viral, being forwarded to other investment firms, some as far as Houston, Texas.

Business Insider shared a list of promising replies, among them: ‘This might be the best letter I've ever received.’

The response to the letter has been overwhelmingly positive, with some recipients describing it as ‘hilarious but bold’ and ‘instant classic.'’

Without dropping names and boasting of his smarts, Matthew managed to pique the interest of the jaded finance community, which is likely going to land him an interview or two.

One of the recipients wrote: ‘I wouldn't be surprised if this guy gets at least a call from every bank out there.’

IS MATTHEW ROSS' LETTER A RARITY AMONG A GENERATION OF STUDENTS WITH OVER-INFLATED SENSE OF ENTITLEMENT?

Matthew Ross' letter comes as a refreshing antithesis to survey results released last week showing that American students have an unprecedented level of self-infatuation.

Nine million people have taken the American Freshman Survey in the last 47 years, which asks students to rate themselves compared to their peers since 1966.

Psychologist Jean Twenge and her colleagues compiled the data and found that over the last four decades there's been a dramatic rise in the number of students who describe themselves as being 'above average' in the areas of academic ability, drive to achieve, mathematical ability, and self-confidence.

But researchers found a disconnect between the student's opinions of themselves and actual ability.

While students are much more likely to call themselves gifted in writing abilities, objective test scores actually show that their writing abilities are far less than those of their 1960s counterparts.

Though they may work less, the number that said they had a drive to succeed rose sharply.

These young egotists can grow up to be depressed adults.

A 2006 study found that students suffer from 'ambition inflation' as their increased ambitions accompany increasingly unrealistic expectations.

'Since the 1960s and 1970s, when those expectations started to grow, there's been an increase in anxiety and depression,' Twenge said. 'There's going to be a lot more people who don't reach their goals.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2263606/EXCLUSIVE-Looks-like-hes-got-job-Student-sent-best-cover-letter-saying-average-university-special-skills-talks-Wall-Street-bosses.html

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • significantly cheaper and federally legal
Sounds like a solid young man.

leaky_frog

• Getbig III
When I first got out of college, I interviewed a design firm I really wanted to work for, but was told I didn't have the experience needed.  I called them up the next week and offered to intern for free, just to gain the experience.  They loved that I wanted to learn, and offered me a full-time spot five months later.  My boss later told me asking for an internship and being willing to work for free (they paid me) was the smartest thing any candidate had ever done. 

el numero uno

• Getbig V
  • Clean your room, bucko.
When I first got out of college, I interviewed a design firm I really wanted to work for, but was told I didn't have the experience needed.  I called them up the next week and offered to intern for free, just to gain the experience.  They loved that I wanted to learn, and offered me a full-time spot five months later.  My boss later told me asking for an internship and being willing to work for free (they paid me) was the smartest thing any candidate had ever done. 

Yep, I've seen a couple cases where a guy does that and end up with the job, of course, that's why they were after when they were working for free. Wanting to learn... fucking lol they were crappy students and give a fuck about being good professionals.

I don't know about you or guy in the article though. Just saying.

nzmusclemonster

• Getbig V
  • Serenity Now!
But will he take one up the ass like a champ?
P

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
The fact this is a news story shows you it is bullshit. The firm is just advertising themselves as good guys. Banks are slime trying to rebuild their image.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
Stupid letter, poorly written.  If thats all it takes to "wow" someone, people are much dumber than I suspected.

el numero uno

• Getbig V
  • Clean your room, bucko.
Stupid letter, poorly written.  If thats all it takes to "wow" someone, people are much dumber than I suspected.

What's your degree in?

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.

doison

• Getbig IV
  • Rum Ham
Y

Nomad

• Getbig IV
Re: 'average' students honest & humble cover letter wows wall street bosses
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2013, 11:23:40 PM »

I am guessing you haven't gotten the chance to meet the modern average college student?

I am not surprised he got hired. I suspect most of the companies are tired of hearing the same golden showered bs over and over again only to be dissapointed in the end.
all drugs - TPPIIP

Mattyh7688

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2013, 11:35:28 PM »
This only worked because he met the manager before and had his info and already had developed some type of rapport with him.. Send this same cover letter to HR like millions of job applicants do, and it will be tossed aside to the garbage.. Most wont even be looked at by HR with new scanning systems put into place for job applicants. Hell I have been turned down from a job within 12 minutes of applying at 4 am before lol.

nzmusclemonster

• Getbig V
  • Serenity Now!
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2013, 11:59:34 PM »
This only worked because he met the manager before and had his info and already had developed some type of rapport with him.. Send this same cover letter to HR like millions of job applicants do, and it will be tossed aside to the garbage.. Most wont even be looked at by HR with new scanning systems put into place for job applicants. Hell I have been turned down from a job within 12 minutes of applying at 4 am before lol.

That's because you are a half squatting faggot.
P

evandatp

• Getbig IV
  • Haunted4Pay
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2013, 12:20:25 AM »
That's because you are a half squatting faggot.
Maybe Matty78.6kg prefers to perform 'partial sitdowns'?

nzmusclemonster

• Getbig V
  • Serenity Now!
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2013, 12:28:55 AM »
Maybe Matty78.6kg prefers to perform 'partial sitdowns'?

LOL yes!

The only time Matty goes to full depth is when Jamal is lying on the ground and he sits on his cock.
P

Mattyh7688

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2013, 12:50:09 AM »
LOL yes!

The only time Matty goes to full depth is when Jamal is lying on the ground and he sits on his cock.
i don't even need to go down all the way then.. Jamal is more than hung. Quarter squats all the way in life.