Author Topic: NBC/WSJ poll: Majority, for first time, want abortion to be legal  (Read 2800 times)

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
NBC/WSJ poll: Majority, for first time, want abortion to be legal

By Mark Murray, NBC News Senior Political Editor

As the 40th anniversary of the Roe v. Wade Supreme Court decision takes place on Tuesday, a majority of Americans – for the first time – believe abortion should be legal in all or most cases, according to a new NBC News/Wall Street Journal poll.
What’s more, seven in 10 respondents oppose Roe v. Wade being overturned, which is the highest percentage on this question since 1989.
“These are profound changes,” says Republican pollster Bill McInturff, who conducted this survey with Democratic pollster Peter D. Hart and his colleagues.

McInturff adds that the abortion-related events and rhetoric over the past year – which included controversial remarks on abortion and rape by two Republican Senate candidates, as well as a highly charged debate over contraception – helped shaped these changing poll numbers.  “The dialogue we have had in the last year has contributed … to inform and shift attitudes.”

The 1973 Roe v. Wade decision established a woman’s constitutional right to an abortion, at least in the first three months of pregnancy.
According to the poll, 54 percent of adults say that abortion should be legal either always or most of the time, while a combined 44 percent said it should be illegal – either with or without exceptions.

That’s the first time since this poll question was first asked in 2003 that a majority maintained that abortion should be legal. Previously (with just one exception in 2008), majorities said abortion should be illegal.  In addition, a whopping 70 percent of Americans oppose the Roe v. Wade decision being overturned, including 57 percent who feel strongly about this.

That’s up from the 58 percent who said the decision shouldn’t be overturned in 1989; the 60 percent who said this in 2002; and the 66 percent who said this in 2005.  By comparison, just 24 percent now want the Roe v. Wade decision overturned, including 21 percent who feel strongly about this position.

Much of this change, the NBC/WSJ pollsters say, is coming from African Americans, Latinos and women without college degrees -- all of whom increasingly oppose the Supreme Court decision being overturned.
The NBC/WSJ poll was conducted Jan. 12-15 of 1,000 adults (including 300 cellphone-only respondents), and it has a margin of error of plus-minus 3.1 percentage points.

http://firstread.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/01/21/16626932-nbcwsj-poll-majority-for-first-time-want-abortion-to-be-legal?lite

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/i/MSNBC/Sections/A_Politics/_Today_Stories_Teases/Supreme-court-question.pdf

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Re: NBC/WSJ poll: Majority, for first time, want abortion to be legal
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 06:27:53 PM »
Having O-Ghetto as POTUS makes people support the idea of trash and scum aborting their kids. 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 06:30:55 PM »
Having O-Ghetto as POTUS makes people support the idea of trash and scum aborting their kids.  

yeah, that must be what is going on

Mr. Magoo

• Getbig V
  • THE most mistaken identity on getbig
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 06:34:12 PM »

fetuses are kids?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 10:09:34 PM »
Yes.

Most people would say NO

that's why you never see any fetus soccer teams or christmas plays

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 11:29:54 PM »
Most people would say NO

that's why you never see any fetus soccer teams or christmas plays

What would be the difference if I shot someone breaking into my home or a "Dr" aborting a late term fetus?

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Never question my instincts.
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 12:24:06 AM »
What would be the difference if I shot someone breaking into my home or a "Dr" aborting a late term fetus?
Is your hatred about to boil over into violence?

G

Mr. Magoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2013, 05:59:01 AM »

so you are agreeing with abortions that are done in self-defense? (i.e. when the mother's life is in danger)

And some would say "one is a person, the other isn't"

some would say "the person breaking into your home has interests (and therefore rights), the fetus doesn't, disregarding the "personhood" argument"

Others would say "the key phrase is "late term", most anti-abortionists are against early term. I doubt anyone would agree that it's morally okay to abort after 8 months because the mother doesn't want to postpone a vacation or something.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2013, 06:55:22 AM »
so you are agreeing with abortions that are done in self-defense? (i.e. when the mother's life is in danger)

some would say "the person breaking into your home has interests (and therefore rights), the fetus doesn't, disregarding the "personhood" argument"

Others would say "the key phrase is "late term", most anti-abortionists are against early term. I doubt anyone would agree that it's morally okay to abort after 8 months because the mother doesn't want to postpone a vacation or something.
Actually many ppl would agree that the fetus isn't viable until birth so late term is quite ok with many pro choice ppl.

The scenario you've given with the burglar isn't a valid comparison an is tire and worn out having been debunked many times

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2013, 09:54:53 AM »

If I shot and killed someone breaking into my house, you can bet the left activists would call that murder.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2013, 10:05:37 AM »

you should try it and find out

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2013, 10:32:32 AM »
Actually many ppl would agree that the fetus isn't viable until birth so late term is quite ok with many pro choice ppl.

Correct.

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2013, 11:53:57 AM »
79% of "pro-choice" Americans support banning late term

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2013, 01:33:39 PM »
All fetuses should be armed. ;D
A

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2013, 02:49:57 PM »

The scenario you've given with the burglar isn't a valid comparison an is tire and worn out having been debunked many times

do you have a source for this claim or is it just one of those things that your gut told you?

first you say many people and then in the same sentence is many pro-choice people so I guess you have some source that shows that many pro-choice people are "ok with late term abortion"

Here is a Gallup poll from last year showing 79% of self identified "pro choice" people are in favor of making abortion illegal in the third trimester and more than half of pro-choice people want to make it illegal in the second trimester

http://www.gallup.com/poll/148880/Plenty-Common-Ground-Found-Abortion-Debate.aspx

I'm looking forward to seeing the source for your totally contrary belief

bears

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2013, 02:54:03 PM »

its her body.  not yours.  she can do whatever she wants with it.  who the fuck are you to put a time stamp on when SHE can have a procedure done to HER body?  fucking bible thumper.

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2013, 02:55:47 PM »
21% is considered many by the majority of people  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2013, 03:45:20 PM »

LOL haha

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2013, 04:23:10 PM »

and given a tax cut

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2013, 04:25:36 PM »
its her body.  not yours.  she can do whatever she wants with it.  who the fuck are you to put a time stamp on when SHE can have a procedure done to HER body?  fucking bible thumper.
Wow, calling Mr. Magoo a bible thumper. You must be new around these parts.

Mr. Magoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2013, 05:37:31 PM »
Wow, calling Mr. Magoo a bible thumper. You must be new around these parts.

haha, I don't know what his reasoning was. I was just simply describing what I take to be the moral feelings of the majority of pro-abortionists. I wasn't saying they were justified feelings or not. Neither was I saying that certain people's moral feelings should necessarily be made into law.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2013, 05:46:41 PM »
do you have a source for this claim or is it just one of those things that your gut told you?

first you say many people and then in the same sentence is many pro-choice people so I guess you have some source that shows that many pro-choice people are "ok with late term abortion"

Here is a Gallup poll from last year showing 79% of self identified "pro choice" people are in favor of making abortion illegal in the third trimester and more than half of pro-choice people want to make it illegal in the second trimester

http://www.gallup.com/poll/148880/Plenty-Common-Ground-Found-Abortion-Debate.aspx

I'm looking forward to seeing the source for your totally contrary belief

LOL yes 21% is considered many ppl...

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2013, 06:04:38 PM »
Damn...I was enjoying being in the minority...demanding free undeserved shit and all that.

chadstallion

• Getbig IV
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2013, 06:02:04 AM »
not only do we want abortion to remain legal, it would be nice to have 'retro active abortion rights'
say, ability to get rid of the kid before the age of 5.
w