Author Topic: Is Facebook envy making you miserable? What about Getbig envy?  (Read 7648 times)

syntaxmachine

• Getbig IV
Re: Is Facebook envy making you miserable? What about Getbig envy?
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2013, 03:07:55 AM »
Facebook pages strike me as the digital equivalent of a typical ritual people engage in in real life: put up a front that indicates to external observers that you are intelligent, funny, popular, loved, important, etc. for the purpose of attracting mates, using positive feedback about the mask you've put on to build/reinforce your perception of yourself such that the divergence between the two is reduced -- all the while hiding any of the doubts, discontent, and other honest feelings that are natural to living life. I surmise a significant portion of this identity building/mate attracting ritual is subconscious and can be given an evolutionary glean.

It strikes me as very fake and I dislike people who are obsessed with it -- women moreso than men, I'm sorry to have to say. I'm surprised the facebook version of the ritual would generate more envy than in real life, however, since it seems so obviously fake (huge friends lists, 'likes' and other such artificial bullshit) so as to be laughable. People's real life masks can be much more convincing, at times blending in with who their true self such that it's impossible to differentiate the two (for a time).

I have a fake Facebook for the sole purpose of launching occasional spank bank enhancement excursions, and none of the info I see makes me envious (wow, 1,427 friends!) because I'm confident it is an illusion in the sense defined above, and even if it weren't, it's enough work managing my own life let alone analyzing others'.

Chadwick The Beta

• Getbig V
  • "Stop calling me by my name."
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2013, 03:11:48 AM »
Facebook pages strike me as the digital equivalent of a typical ritual people engage in in real life: put up a front that indicates to external observers that you are intelligent, funny, popular, loved, important, etc. for the purpose of attracting mates, using positive feedback about the mask you've put on to build/reinforce your perception of yourself such that the divergence between the two is reduced -- all the while hiding any of the doubts, discontent, and other honest feelings that are natural to living life. I surmise a significant portion of this identity building/mate attracting ritual is subconscious and can be given an evolutionary glean.

It strikes me as very fake and I dislike people who are obsessed with it -- women moreso than men, I'm sorry to have to say. I'm surprised the facebook version of the ritual would generate more envy than in real life, however, since it seems so obviously fake (huge friends lists, 'likes' and other such artificial bullshit) so as to be laughable. People's real life masks can be much more convincing, at times blending in with who their true self such that it's impossible to differentiate the two (for a time).

I have a fake Facebook for the sole purpose of launching occasional spank bank enhancement excursions, and none of the info I see makes me envious (wow, 1,427 friends!) because I'm confident it is an illusion in the sense defined above, and even if it weren't, it's enough work managing my own life let alone analyzing others'.

Pretty long post for someone not obsessed.
K

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2013, 03:19:21 AM »

;D

syntaxmachine

• Getbig IV
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2013, 04:00:10 AM »

Three paragraphs punched out in the space of a few minutes will be considered "long" by many here, sure.

Tito24

• Getbig V
  • I'm a large man but.. one with a plan
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2013, 04:05:09 AM »
i tend to use to slightly but i came to the conclusion that most people just pretend to have an awesome life. i guess those who have dont feel the urge so much to show it to the world.

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2013, 04:05:49 AM »
Am jealous of Johnny Falcons indepth knowledge regarding dieting and training.

This + Falcon punches are purely genetics.  :D

Griffith

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2013, 04:15:51 AM »
I have hardly anything on Facebook.

But it is good to use for easy communication via messages and also as an intelligence gathering device haha

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2013, 04:17:09 AM »
I have no one to envy.

I envy all of you, for having me to envy.

LOL

i tend to use to slightly but i came to the conclusion that most people just pretend to have an awesome life. i guess those who have dont feel the urge so much to show it to the world.

I think the worst Facebook users are the ones who play the retarded games offered there like addicts. If you play FarmVille you're a retard (it bothers me that my iPhone just corrected the capitalization for FarmVille).

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2013, 04:22:30 AM »
Am jealous of Johnny Falcons indepth knowledge regarding dieting and training.

;D ;D ;D

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2013, 04:32:30 AM »
I am jealous of cswol's tattoo artist. The cheeky fucker is making $100 an hour drawing wiggly red lines on peoples arms ffs

Chadwick The Beta

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2013, 05:15:03 AM »
Three paragraphs punched out in the space of a few minutes will be considered "long" by many here, sure.

Classic denial of your obsession.

Get help.  Or kill yourself. 
K

syntaxmachine

• Getbig IV
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2013, 05:24:25 AM »
Classic denial of your obsession.

Get help.  Or kill yourself. 

'Long' is relative, meaning your argument is faulty: a 9 inch BBC isn't long for your mom because she's long since been stretched out via DP every weekend, whereas for a normal woman it is.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2013, 05:25:51 AM »
'Long' is relative, meaning your argument is faulty: a 9 inch BBC isn't long for your mom because she's long since been stretched out via DP every weekend, whereas for a normal woman it is.

Hmm. Trying a bit hard on this one

Chadwick The Beta

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2013, 05:33:45 AM »

Bravo  ::)

The suggestion to kill yourself stands.
K

syntaxmachine

• Getbig IV
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2013, 05:41:53 AM »
Hmm. Trying a bit hard on this one

Gayer than flouting one's masters degree on a bodybuilding forum while obsessing overmuch about American politics like a typical bored Canadian while smoking pot all day.

As gay as operating a gimmick to launch second-rate drive-by posting so that your shitty jokes aren't associated with your primary account.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2013, 05:59:21 AM »
Gayer than flouting one's masters degree on a bodybuilding forum while obsessing overmuch about American politics like a typical bored Canadian while smoking pot all day.

As gay as operating a gimmick to launch second-rate drive-by posting so that your shitty jokes aren't associated with your primary account.
Lol

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2013, 06:22:25 AM »

;D ;D ;D

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2013, 06:26:43 AM »

I wish I could just be stoned all day. But I have to stay straight long enough to flout my degree by posting overmuch about American politics on a bodybuilding board.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2013, 07:30:21 AM »
if one is truly hapy he dont care what others think.

THIS

Chadwick The Beta

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2013, 07:30:34 AM »

Gayer than stating you aren't obsessed with Facebook then living in a thread devoted to the subject.

Kill yourself.
K

syntaxmachine

• Getbig IV
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2013, 07:45:43 AM »
Gayer than stating you aren't obsessed with Facebook then living in a thread devoted to the subject.

Kill yourself.

::)

God bless you and may you live to be 100.

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2013, 08:17:18 AM »
same here,i never jealous of anyone.who cares, they are they i am me.

money and what you buy with money doesnt mean shit, when its all said and done.

in contrary, it cracks me up when ppl on facebook display how "good" their life is, its always the same hoyday pics and "adventures" with fake smile for the camera.

if life was so good, they wouldnt do that.

if one is truly hapy he dont care what others think.

well said, i agree 100%
R

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2013, 10:30:43 AM »
Why would a getbigger envy anyone? Last time I checked, at least 90% of posters on getbig were billionaire oil magnates who retired as champion prize fighters to spend more time with their harem of super models on their private jet on their way to their secluded seaside mansion on a private island in the Carribean.
;) living the life.
F

snx

• Getbig IV
« Reply #48 on: January 23, 2013, 10:52:22 AM »
;) living the life.

An off-season Dan Hill letting his hair down and embracing his second amendment rights. Nice to see a patriot at work.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
« Reply #49 on: January 23, 2013, 11:18:19 AM »

FB has it's ups and downs.  I don't have an account, but my wife does so she says everything for me.  I'm more of a face to face guy with family and friends....I enjoy a good conversation.  FB, Twitter, texting has all but eliminated the conversation.   

And sure FB is riddled with nothing but "happy pics" and certainly those photos don't tell the whole story; still, how many people run and grab a camera when the cat threw up on the couch or snag a pic when you're homesick in your underwear with the flu going outta your mind cleaning dog crap off the carpet at 8:30am trying not to vomit?