Author Topic: Bodybuilder died after four taser shocks  (Read 7572 times)

musclecenter

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Mr.Taiwan
Bodybuilder died after four taser shocks
« on: January 23, 2013, 12:53:35 AM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-21148980

The police officer who Tasered a bodybuilder four times has told an inquest into the man's death how he fired shots in "fear" for his safety.
Dale Burns, 27, of Barrow, Cumbria, suffered a heart attack and died after being arrested at his flat.......

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
  • Rhetoric is the art of ruling the minds of men.
Re: Bodybuilder died after four taser shocks
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 01:02:22 AM »
The police officer who Tasered a bodybuilder four times has told an inquest into the man's death how he fired shots in "fear" for his safety.
Dale Burns, 27, of Barrow, Cumbria, suffered a heart attack and died after being arrested at his flat.......

A Policeman's fear for his safety means I just really wanted to teach some fucker a lesson.
V

Bad Boy Dazza

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 03:45:21 AM »

Who would be scared of a midget bodybuilder?  It just shows the low standard of police in the UK.  Low IQ, low physical capability.

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 03:46:59 AM »
UK is no more.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 03:48:55 AM »
Do the police get away with Murder in the UK like they do in the United States? ???

I'm very comfortable knowing civilians are armed, but if I could I would severely limit police fire power, and take away tasers altogether. 

Bad Boy Dazza

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 03:50:33 AM »
Do the police get away with Murder in the UK like they do in the United States? ???

UK is a police state.  UK citizens have very few rights.

Method101

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 03:55:27 AM »
This sums it up.

"We're gonna feed on your ass!" haha.

Bad Boy Dazza

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 04:02:15 AM »
Ha ha fucking epic  :D
This sums it up.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2013, 05:11:52 AM »
ECA + tazer

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2013, 05:18:32 AM »
Who would be scared of a midget bodybuilder?  It just shows the low standard of police in the UK.  Low IQ, low physical capability.

That bodybuilder had MDPV in his system....Bath Salts...he was obviously out of control and the officer had no choice....not only that, the taser shots didn't kill him
A

Army of One

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2013, 05:51:40 AM »
That bodybuilder had MDPV in his system....Bath Salts..

Maybe he was trying to get the MindMuscle Connection?

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2013, 06:36:26 AM »
If you were a cop and told someone they are under arrest and they wouldn't comply what would you do after they took a fighting stance?  Exchange strikes then possibly get into a ground game with them while you have a gun on your hip he could take? Hit him with your baton until he submits? Pepper spray him where the spray would also effect you and sometimes doesn't work. Or use the taser on your hip?  All of the options are legal if someone resists arrest.

The moral to the story is if a cop says your under arrest or even takes out his hand cuffs; let him arrest you.

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2013, 06:51:34 AM »
If you were a cop and told someone they are under arrest and they wouldn't comply what would you do after they took a fighting stance?  Exchange strikes then possibly get into a ground game with them while you have a gun on your hip he could take? Hit him with your baton until he submits? Pepper spray him where the spray would also effect you and sometimes doesn't work. Or use the taser on your hip?  All of the options are legal if someone resists arrest.

The moral to the story is if a cop says your under arrest or even takes out his hand cuffs; let him arrest you.
Their are usually multiple officers around, they should use physical force with a few baton strikes if necessary and tackle him to the ground.  Beats killing a man with 50000 volts.  I am tired of these weak as piss policeman scared to get a graze on their knee.  How do you think they did it in the old days, they overwhelmed them with physical force, but these days, policemen are scared to break a fingernail.   They would rather kill a man than risk getting a little banged up.  The Police force used to attract masculine men, now it is full of insecure weak people who have no business being in authority.
V

kofo

• Getbig II
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2013, 07:01:16 AM »
Good luck it wasnt a black BBer. Then there would have been riots, "a new minority policy in the society", suggestions of more etnic police, a hate crime trial and what not...

snx

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2013, 07:06:18 AM »
Their are usually multiple officers around, they should use physical force with a few baton strikes if necessary and tackle him to the ground.  Beats killing a man with 50000 volts.  I am tired of these weak as piss policeman scared to get a graze on their knee.  How do you think they did it in the old days, they overwhelmed them with physical force, but these days, policemen are scared to break a fingernail.   They would rather kill a man than risk getting a little banged up.  The Police force used to attract masculine men, now it is full of insecure weak people who have no business being in authority.

They use the taser specifically because prosecuting attorneys are so adept at proving excessive force when police used to "beat" would-be criminals.

The taser is not as easily prosecuted and is viewed as not being excessive (unless discharged numerous times once the subject has been subdued).

The name of the game now is: is the taser an appropriate form of non-lethal force? Some would say no. Some would say there are other non-lethal devices that subdue victims without potentially killing them (such as sound blasts, etc...). I'm not an expert on that stuff, so I have nothing to say about that.

This case hinges on whether the prosecutor can prove that the defendent was zapped multiple times after being sufficiently restrained, which would have been excessive force causing death. The compounding circumstances of having bath salts (and the wild tales of what that drug does to people...remember face eating in Miami?) in his blood will make it difficult to prove the cop did not act fearing for his life.

I predict the jury will side with the officer barring any obvious evidence that the officer was being punitive. Folks are scared of criminals on bath salts running around eating people. They'll believe the cop.

Bottom line: don't take mind-altering chemicals, because they turn you into someone else...someone incapable of properly judging their own actions and evaluating possible reactions. But you'll still be held accountable for what you did. Too bad he paid with his life in learing that hard lesson. But I have little sympathy for him. He's a father. What kind of sorry excuse for a father goes around taking bath salts? He's an embarrassment to his family, and now he's dead because of it, causing the ultimate harm to his family.

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2013, 07:19:49 AM »
They use the taser specifically because prosecuting attorneys are so adept at proving excessive force when police used to "beat" would-be criminals.

The taser is not as easily prosecuted and is viewed as not being excessive (unless discharged numerous times once the subject has been subdued).

The name of the game now is: is the taser an appropriate form of non-lethal force? Some would say no. Some would say there are other non-lethal devices that subdue victims without potentially killing them (such as sound blasts, etc...). I'm not an expert on that stuff, so I have nothing to say about that.

This case hinges on whether the prosecutor can prove that the defendent was zapped multiple times after being sufficiently restrained, which would have been excessive force causing death. The compounding circumstances of having bath salts (and the wild tales of what that drug does to people...remember face eating in Miami?) in his blood will make it difficult to prove the cop did not act fearing for his life.

I predict the jury will side with the officer barring any obvious evidence that the officer was being punitive. Folks are scared of criminals on bath salts running around eating people. They'll believe the cop.

Bottom line: don't take mind-altering chemicals, because they turn you into someone else...someone incapable of properly judging their own actions and evaluating possible reactions. But you'll still be held accountable for what you did. Too bad he paid with his life in learing that hard lesson. But I have little sympathy for him. He's a father. What kind of sorry excuse for a father goes around taking bath salts? He's an embarrassment to his family, and now he's dead because of it, causing the ultimate harm to his family.

I'm not saying the accused is right or didn't contribute, but I don't think the DEATH penalty was warranted.  And I think you will find he TASER will become less and less tolerated, the deaths are mounting, and their is increasing non biased research highlighting the potentially fatal effect they have on the heart.  Many human rights organisation suggest they are a device of torture.  And due to their unpredictable outcome, if I was in such a situation I would prefer to take my chances against multiple police, some pepper spray and a baton.

And calling someone a criminal because the Police suspected he destroyed his own bathroom is a stretch.  I have never understood the crime in smashing your own things!  After all, your the perpetrator and the victim.  Essentially, a man was killed for allegedly smashing his own property, that's pretty fucked up and hard to reason that the punishment fit the crime.
V

Bad Boy Dazza

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2013, 07:21:54 AM »
they arent armed often but they get away with murder etc.

ok is absolute and total poice state, everything is monitored.

In the UK police will kick your door down for saying insensitive things on the net, and arrest you.  COMPLETE TRUTH yet we wouldn't have believed it 10 years ago...

snx

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2013, 07:37:06 AM »
I'm not saying the accused is right or didn't contribute, but I don't think the DEATH penalty was warranted.  And I think you will find he TASER will become less and less tolerated, the deaths are mounting, and their is increasing non biased research highlighting the potentially fatal effect they have on the heart.  Many human rights organisation suggest they are a device of torture.  And due to their unpredictable outcome, if I was in such a situation I would prefer to take my chances against multiple police, some pepper spray and a baton.

And calling someone a criminal because the Police suspected he destroyed his own bathroom is a stretch.  I have never understood the crime in smashing your own things!  After all, your the perpetrator and the victim.  Essentially, a man was killed for allegedly smashing his own property, that's pretty fucked up and hard to reason that the punishment fit the crime.

Well, I'll agree that smashing your own stuff should be perfectly legal. But I wonder...they call it a "flat", which to me, might imply he was renting an apartment. Then it wouldn't be his to smash. But if I'm wrong on that, then yes...he should be allowed to smash away to his heart's content without any fear of reprisal. As long as he isn't endangering those around him, or generally disturbing the peace.

I too agree the death penalty wasn't deserved. But, the outcome is what it is. He knowingly took drugs, and is therefore accountable for his actions, however little control he had over them.

So now, we have to understand: did the cops use excessive force leading to death? Or were they justified? Did they taze him after he was subdued? Or not? You have to admit...a jury of this man's peers will want to side with him given bath salts were involved. It's impossible for Joe and Jane Q. Public to not be fearful of that drug's effects, what with all the media hooplah and propaganda surrounding it.

Again, I think my point stands. The only reason tasers are in the hands of policemen is because prosecutors are too effective at proving excessive force when officers use batons or nightsticks or other devices. Which gets the accused person on the streets again, potentially to re-offend, after having gotten off on a technicality. We don't want to see that either.

I will agree with you though that the public's tolerance for what appears to be mounting numbers of deaths due to tasers is slowly but surely waning. They want a better solution. I believe there must be something out there. But folks will find the police unions to be a strong opposing force to changes here.

We'll see.

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2013, 08:20:17 AM »
once the person resisted arrest the cop shoulda jumped guard and butt scooted after that madman, the guy woulda quickly realized he was dealing with a trained bjj artist n gave up
R

Rami

• Getbig V
  • One Hundred Percent
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2013, 09:05:49 AM »
This sums it up.

haha so much truth, Alex is the best at these kind of rants, guy is living it that's for sure

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2013, 10:08:23 AM »
o now, we have to understand: did the cops use excessive force leading to death? Or were they justified? Did they taze him after he was subdued? Or not? You have to admit...a jury of this man's peers will want to side with him given bath salts were involved. It's impossible for Joe and Jane Q. Public to not be fearful of that drug's effects, what with all the media hooplah and propaganda surrounding it.

Again, I think my point stands. The only reason tasers are in the hands of policemen is because prosecutors are too effective at proving excessive force when officers use batons or nightsticks or other devices. Which gets the accused person on the streets again, potentially to re-offend, after having gotten off on a technicality. We don't want to see that either.

I will agree with you though that the public's tolerance for what appears to be mounting numbers of deaths due to tasers is slowly but surely waning. They want a better solution. I believe there must be something out there. But folks will find the police unions to be a strong opposing force to changes here.

We'll see.

This is the issue, Tasers can be used and have little to no after effect on an individual, but their are times when the TASER is FATAL.  I find it hard to accept that Prosecutors find it easy to prove excessive force when a more direct physical approach is taken, and yet can't find the same ease in proving this with TASERS.  I think because the research regarding TASERS is heavily biased in favor of the TASER group. The fact that TASER is a commodity that can be publicly traded sets up a conflict of interest that leads to such bias.  When their is pressure for a company to make profits so it's share holders can enjoy the dividends, their is going to be huge pressure to utilise their product as often as possible.  This means USE the TASER as much as you can.  I think this is a big factor in mission creep and the overuse of the device with minimal provocation.  

Also because Police use the device often without fatality, police consider the device safe, so they use it when it isn't required, and if someone dies, the Police know exactly what to say to get off the hook.  If you study the case of the young brazillian man Roberto Laudisio Curti who was tasered and died on the streets of Sydney last year, the Blue code of silence was quite perverse, and the lies were so obvious that the coroner labelled the Police as "Thugs" and like "schoolboys in Lord of the Flies".  The coroner made it quite clear very early on that she didn't expect honesty from the police involved.  Anyway, due to our corruption and the police knowing exactly what to say, they got away with killing a man who was running away from them.

Due to the overwhelming fatalities, the company itself has had to acknowledge that rather than labelling the device "non lethal", they now phrase the term 'Less Lethal".  They also changed the phrase “leave no lasting after-effects” to “are more effective and safer than other use-of-force options”.  

Here in Australia, after Tasers were introduced, gun use remained relatively constant. Which doesn’t really make a convincing case that Tasers are being used instead of firearms.  Tasers haven't lessened gun use as a force option, They’re being used as well as, not instead of guns.  The average persons gut instinct would be to believe that shocking someone with 50,000 volts of electricity causing temporary paralysis would easily be described as an excessive use of force, the problem is, all these paid off Professors who bamboozle the public with hard to understand pseudo-science convincing the people that they don't have the expertise so trust them when they tell you delivering a paralysing 50,000 volts to someone is perfectly safe.

I believe a lot of the time the use of patient skilled communication would prevent a lot of these incidents, but the Police force attracts people who are attracted to FORCE and potentially aren't great communicators to begin with.
V

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2013, 10:11:35 AM »
so they were still scared after 3 taser shots? Man, UK police are pussies?
A

bradistani

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2013, 10:17:21 AM »
haha, this piece has him has a raging roid monster

A HULKING bodybuilder addicted to steroids has died after police shot him with a 50,000-volt Taser.

Muscleman Dale Burns, 27, was zapped with the stun gun as he rampaged around his flat smashing it up.

Pals claimed he was Tasered 3 times as eight officers struggled to subdue him.

Police called in by terrified neighbours also used pepper spray before finally handcuffing the raging bouncer.

The dad of two had a heart attack shortly afterwards and was taken to hospital, but he died three hours after Tuesday night’s arrest.

Dale, of Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria, is thought to be the first person in the UK to die after being Tasered.

A pal said: “The police couldn’t control him so they Tasered him. He got up and was going off his head because of what they had done so they Tasered him twice more.”

Yesterday the Independent Police Complaints Commission launched an inquiry into the tragedy. A post mortem will also be held.

Dale’s former stepdad Ian Lund, 51, said last night the bodybuilding fanatic used steroids and the illegal party drug mephedrone – known as meow meow.

Ian added: “When he did it he really went for it. He got addicted to mephedrone and steroids. We tried to stop him.”

Dale’s mood swings caused friction with on-off love Sarah Keverne, 31 – mum of his son Ethan, two. She is too upset to speak.

He also had a daughter Honor, four.

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2013, 10:19:41 AM »
so they were still scared after 3 taser shots? Man, UK police are pussies?
American Police are just as bad, the TASER use by American Police is off the charts!  The Police Force attracts Scared Insecure people, they believe the right to abuse ordinary citizens with excessive force as a panacea for this disorder.
V

snx

• Getbig IV
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2013, 10:26:34 AM »
This is the issue, Tasers can be used and have little to no after effect on an individual, but their are times when the TASER is FATAL.  I find it hard to accept that Prosecutors find it easy to prove excessive force when a more direct physical approach is taken, and yet can't find the same ease in proving this with TASERS.  I think because the research regarding TASERS is heavily biased in favor of the TASER group. The fact that TASER is a commodity that can be publicly traded sets up a conflict of interest that leads to such bias.  When their is pressure for a company to make profits so it's share holders can enjoy the dividends, their is going to be huge pressure to utilise their product as often as possible.  This means USE the TASER as much as you can.  I think this is a big factor in mission creep and the overuse of the device with minimal provocation.  

Also because Police use the device often without fatality, police consider the device safe, so they use it when it isn't required, and if someone dies, the Police know exactly what to say to get off the hook.  If you study the case of the young brazillian man Roberto Laudisio Curti who was tasered and died on the streets of Sydney last year, the Blue code of silence was quite perverse, and the lies were so obvious that the coroner labelled the Police as "Thugs" and like "schoolboys in Lord of the Flies".  The coroner made it quite clear very early on that she didn't expect honesty from the police involved.  Anyway, due to our corruption and the police knowing exactly what to say, they got away with killing a man who was running away from them.

Due to the overwhelming fatalities, the company itself has had to acknowledge that rather than labelling the device "non lethal", they now phrase the term 'Less Lethal".  They also changed the phrase “leave no lasting after-effects” to “are more effective and safer than other use-of-force options”.  

Here in Australia, after Tasers were introduced, gun use remained relatively constant. Which doesn’t really make a convincing case that Tasers are being used instead of firearms.  Tasers haven't lessened gun use as a force option, They’re being used as well as, not instead of guns.  The average persons gut instinct would be to believe that shocking someone with 50,000 volts of electricity causing temporary paralysis would easily be described as an excessive use of force, the problem is, all these paid off Professors who bamboozle the public with hard to understand pseudo-science convincing the people that they don't have the expertise so trust them when they tell you delivering a paralysing 50,000 volts to someone is perfectly safe.

I believe a lot of the time the use of patient skilled communication would prevent a lot of these incidents, but the Police force attracts people who are attracted to FORCE and potentially aren't great communicators to begin with.

A well-stated rebuttal. I generally agree with your sentiment in the post above.