Author Topic: Bockwinkle vs Flair - who would you rather  (Read 3722 times)

littleguns

• Getbig V
Bockwinkle vs Flair - who would you rather
« on: January 24, 2013, 10:03:31 AM »
Watching some interviews & Matches with Bockwinkle and I have to say, I think he was the better performer, and better package than Flair.

Granted more people may know Flair but my vote would be Bockwinkle.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
Re: Bockwinkle vs Flair - who would you rather
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 01:36:57 PM »
I'm shocked..... ::)

;D  I know you don't think much of Flair, but I do have to say Bockwinkle was an incredible all around talent.  He was king of the AWA, Flair NWA and Backland WWF for much of my youth.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 01:49:25 PM »
YEAH,,,GOOD 3...DIDN'T HEENAN MANAGE BOCKWINKEL ...

;D  I know you don't think much of Flair, but I do have to say Bockwinkle was an incredible all around talent.  He was king of the AWA, Flair NWA and Backland WWF for much of my youth.

littleguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 02:39:52 PM »

Listening to Bockwinkle and watching him, looks like good old Ricky boy stole some stuff from Nick. As weird as it sounds one of my peeves was Rick was on top of the world, making good cash and he couldn't get his damn teeth fixed. I also hate the fact he has had at all and IMO is still in the game, not because he loves it but rather he doesn't have 2 quarters to rub together....

I love a good promo  but enjoyed Arn alot more, promos were short and 2 the point and was truly a bad ass; my opinion of course.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 11:29:08 AM »
Listening to Bockwinkle and watching him, looks like good old Ricky boy stole some stuff from Nick. As weird as it sounds one of my peeves was Rick was on top of the world, making good cash and he couldn't get his damn teeth fixed. I also hate the fact he has had at all and IMO is still in the game, not because he loves it but rather he doesn't have 2 quarters to rub together....

I love a good promo  but enjoyed Arn alot more, promos were short and 2 the point and was truly a bad ass; my opinion of course.

haha, OLE BIG and me have talked about the teeth thing too.  Just really odd.  I remember Funk calling him "horse teeth" one time.....of course Flair shoots back that Funk was a "one-timer" in reference to the REAL NWA title.
I think all of the top guys have ripped each other off to an extent.  Hell Flair stole the Nature Boy monicker.  I loved Arn's promos too, but nobody in the history of the sport touches Flair.....imo.

littleguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 12:48:29 PM »
True but I felt Rick was a 4-5 move pony where Bockwinkle and hell Double A had more moves in their arsenal.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2013, 12:49:02 PM »
True but I felt Rick was a 4-5 move pony where Bockwinkle and hell Double A had more moves in their arsenal.

Flair was a better tech guy than Nick or AA in the old Mid-Atlantic days/NWA and even into early WCW.  You must be basing this on his years after 1989 or so.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2013, 02:39:07 PM »
I'd be interested to know what both of you guys think since you are "well-read" regarding the two men of topic here:

Littleguns, what do you consider to be Bickwinkle's greatest years in the business, and when do you feel he began to lose that momentum?

Show, I'd like to ask you the same thing regarding Flair.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2013, 09:58:01 AM »
HOW OLD IS BOCKWINKEL HE LOOKED OLD WHEN I WAS A KID,,

littleguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2013, 11:10:33 AM »
HOW OLD IS BOCKWINKEL HE LOOKED OLD WHEN I WAS A KID,,

Dec  6 1934 78yrs old

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2013, 11:35:18 AM »

OLE BIG

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2013, 09:08:20 AM »
I put Bockwinkle near, or at, the top of the everyone else category.  In other words, not including Flair.

I saw a lot of his 80's stuff and it was just increrdible.   

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2013, 10:23:25 AM »
I'd be interested to know what both of you guys think since you are "well-read" regarding the two men of topic here:

Littleguns, what do you consider to be Bickwinkle's greatest years in the business, and when do you feel he began to lose that momentum?

Show, I'd like to ask you the same thing regarding Flair.

Flair 78-89 was untouchable.  Never cared for his WWF stint and it was way downhill after that.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2013, 10:34:38 AM »
Flair 78-89 was untouchable.  Never cared for his WWF stint and it was way downhill after that.

Gotcha!

I think the falling out with Bill Bush marked the end. I'm not laying blame entirely on this incident, but using it more as a time reference. Flair had a lot of personal matters to deal with around this time. His WCW contract was only one of them.

Would you consider his '89 program with Steamboat to be the apex of his crescendoing career?

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2013, 11:46:27 AM »

Gotcha!

I think the falling out with Bill Bush marked the end. I'm not laying blame entirely on this incident, but using it more as a time reference. Flair had a lot of personal matters to deal with around this time. His WCW contract was only one of them.

Would you consider his '89 program with Steamboat to be the apex of his crescendoing career?

No doubt.  Flair talked a lot about that time period in his book.  He was mentally shot.

I actually preferred his original fued with Steamboat over the US belt in mid-atlantic as much, much better.  They were both young and it was a WAY over angle for a long time.  Flair esentially launched Steamboat's career from that point.  I watched them wrestle numerous times.  The only reason it isn't looked at as a much bigger deal is the lack of a PPV at that point to highlight it.  I think it was 77-80 or so.  The WCW stuff was very good inring but the backstory and promos weren't nearly as good.  Poor Steamer couldn't cut a good promo and Flair was beginning to fizzle by then.

I also really enjoyed his run just prior to and during the Horsemen-era.  From a history standpoint the run just prior was probably the apex.  He was taking on top contenders in all the NWA territories all over the US and world 350 days plus per year.  Just sick by todays lameass standards.  His real talent was putting over territory talent to the point of making the locals feel their guy really had a shot to win the "big gold."

The Horsemen era was absolutely electric.  ALL promos were a must see....Flair, Arn, JJ and Tully (VERY underrated as a worker and on the mic) could all cut great ones. Not to mention having great competition with Rhodes ( i know you really love him), Road Warriors, Sting, Garvin, Luger (on and off), etc...

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2013, 12:12:06 PM »
No doubt.  Flair talked a lot about that time period in his book.  He was mentally shot.

I actually preferred his original fued with Steamboat over the US belt in mid-atlantic as much, much better.  They were both young and it was a WAY over angle for a long time.  Flair esentially launched Steamboat's career from that point.  I watched them wrestle numerous times.  The only reason it isn't looked at as a much bigger deal is the lack of a PPV at that point to highlight it.  I think it was 77-80 or so.  The WCW stuff was very good inring but the backstory and promos weren't nearly as good.  Poor Steamer couldn't cut a good promo and Flair was beginning to fizzle by then.

I also really enjoyed his run just prior to and during the Horsemen-era.  From a history standpoint the run just prior was probably the apex.  He was taking on top contenders in all the NWA territories all over the US and world 350 days plus per year.  Just sick by todays lameass standards.  His real talent was putting over territory talent to the point of making the locals feel their guy really had a shot to win the "big gold."

The Horsemen era was absolutely electric.  ALL promos were a must see....Flair, Arn, JJ and Tully (VERY underrated as a worker and on the mic) could all cut great ones. Not to mention having great competition with Rhodes ( i know you really love him), Road Warriors, Sting, Garvin, Luger (on and off), etc...

Very good insight!

Steamboat credits Flair for his big break in the business. And, I suspect Flair did a whole lot more for Dusty's career than vice versa.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2013, 12:44:26 PM »

Gotcha!

REMEMBER ALL THOSE STARCADES,,,ALWAYS LIKED LUGER VS FLAIR,,THE HORSEMEN DIFFERENT VERSIONS WITH KOLOFF,LUGER,WINDHAM,ECT..