Author Topic: Training Secrets for Size and Strength Gains (for Naturals) by Lyle McDonald  (Read 14627 times)

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
1. If you are natural, you must get stronger to get bigger. If, over time, you are not adding weight to the bar, you are not growing.

2. Training a bodypart less than 2X/week will not give you optimal gains. An upper/lower split done Mon/Tue/Thu/Fri is close to optimal for most. Full body twice a week can work very well. Once every 5th day is the least frequently I would ever recommend a natural train. You’ll get less sore training more frequently and you’ll grow better. Save once/week bodypart training for pro bodybuilders (read: steroid users) and the genetically elite.

3.When in doubt, do less volume, not more. You don’t need a zillion sets to stimulate hypertrophy, the bullshit written in the magazines to the contrary. If you can’t get it done in 4-8 hard sets (sometimes less, rarely more) you need to quit training like a pussy in the gym. I had a friend who sold supplements one time who kept asking me to design him a product that would really work. I told him to make a supplement that would make people work hard in the gym and watch their diets. He thought I was joking.

4. Generally, basic compound exercises are best but isolation stuff has its place. Same for the machines versus free weights ‘argument’: both have their place. Anybody who tell you that you MUST do a certain exercise is arguing from an emotional stance, not a physiological one.

5. If you think you can gain muscle without eating sufficient food or calories, you should quit bodybuilding and take up something easier, like golf. You can’t magically make muscle out of nothing, you need calories and protein to grow. If you can’t buckle down to eat enough on a consistent basis, you won’t grow an ounce of muscle. And spare me the excuses that you’re not hungry or your schedule won’t allow it. It’s about priorities, eat more or stay skinny.

6. Most hardgainers train like idiots and don’t eat enough.

COFFEE

Yev33

• Getbig III
I have gotten bigger and stronger for the past 10 years of training. Do what you want and I will do what I want. Just don't come on here saying that you can't make gains naturally past the 2 year mark. I don't even feel like arguing with you about this because it's ridiculous.

I have posted pics and many videos here you can look for them, there are many in the training board threads.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
1)  No...good training wisdom, carefully planned workouts & moderate weight made a lot of BB'er successful.
2)  No...If training with serious intent, one per week body part. Rule of thumb-2 days between any workout, if wanting to do more..
3)  Yes..less can certainly give more..always a mistake adding, rather that reducing exercises, sets and workout days when gains stall.
4)  Yes...compounds. If machines give equal  results, than adapt them into a workout. No one decides what work for you, only you.
5)  Yes..try adding 1,200-1,500  good quality calories over your daily maintenance requirements. Six light meals a day usually works well.
6)  Yes..big time...see 1,2,3,4 & 5. If nothing physically wrong, serious illness, crack head, etc, the overwhelming odds are just about anyone can show impressive gains. Pretty simple stuff, really. Even gains into later years of life. Good Luck.
F

trapz101

• Getbig IV
  • team 'THE CORN'
1. If you are natural, you must get stronger to get bigger. If, over time, you are not adding weight to the bar, you are not growing.

2. Training a bodypart less than 2X/week will not give you optimal gains. An upper/lower split done Mon/Tue/Thu/Fri is close to optimal for most. Full body twice a week can work very well. Once every 5th day is the least frequently I would ever recommend a natural train. You’ll get less sore training more frequently and you’ll grow better. Save once/week bodypart training for pro bodybuilders (read: steroid users) and the genetically elite.

3.When in doubt, do less volume, not more. You don’t need a zillion sets to stimulate hypertrophy, the bullshit written in the magazines to the contrary. If you can’t get it done in 4-8 hard sets (sometimes less, rarely more) you need to quit training like a pussy in the gym. I had a friend who sold supplements one time who kept asking me to design him a product that would really work. I told him to make a supplement that would make people work hard in the gym and watch their diets. He thought I was joking.

4. Generally, basic compound exercises are best but isolation stuff has its place. Same for the machines versus free weights ‘argument’: both have their place. Anybody who tell you that you MUST do a certain exercise is arguing from an emotional stance, not a physiological one.

5. If you think you can gain muscle without eating sufficient food or calories, you should quit bodybuilding and take up something easier, like golf. You can’t magically make muscle out of nothing, you need calories and protein to grow. If you can’t buckle down to eat enough on a consistent basis, you won’t grow an ounce of muscle. And spare me the excuses that you’re not hungry or your schedule won’t allow it. It’s about priorities, eat more or stay skinny.

6. Most hardgainers train like idiots and don’t eat enough.

i thought hardgainers is a myth
T

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
I have gotten bigger and stronger for the past 10 years of training. Do what you want and I will do what I want. Just don't come on here saying that you can't make gains naturally past the 2 year mark. I don't even feel like arguing with you about this because it's ridiculous.

I have posted pics and many videos here you can look for them, there are many in the training board threads.

I've been going at it for like nine years, I'm still making steady gains.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
I've been going at it for like nine years, I'm still making steady gains.

no offense man, but you're a pretty big troll here

have you ever posted a real pic of yourself?

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
I agree with this but not what he says about upper/ lower split training as i have also done this and got results but about the rest a good video...

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
I agree with this but not what he says about upper/ lower split training as i have also done this and got results but about the rest a good video...

never understood an upper/lower split

but he's right about cutting down the volume so that one can train more frequently

in fact, i think that lower volume/higher frequency is better than higher volume/lower frequency

jprc10

• Getbig III
so this is the clown who gives advice on training and diet?

my retired father who never seen a gym from inside and dont know what macros are is more muscular than this idiot.

this has got to be a joke.

wtf is he deadlifting there,200lbs?
any hrt gymrat will use that for rows.

he looks old,not the youngest, when are his gains supposed to appear, will it be in this lifetime?

i tend to get unpatient and want results somewhat within a timeframe, thats why im asking.

hes not really strong, that i have established, but hes already very very fat for bbuilding standards, hell even for non trainee standards.

erase all thoughts from your head, and now picture this guy, dealifting that joke weight,and his teenage level muscularity, he claims to know some secret about training and diet. ::)

OH BROTHER ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Yes he is quite the clown, super arrogant too. He is another wanna be guru making money off this "industry".
He is the same guy that failed miserably with the ketogenic diet years ago.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
no offense man, but you're a pretty big troll here

have you ever posted a real pic of yourself?

None taken, I do troll big time.

I have posted a few photos, people have seen them. 

Nothing impressive, just a natural...

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
None taken, I do troll big time.

I have posted a few photos, people have seen them. 

Nothing impressive, just a natural...

not bad man PROPS

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
not bad man PROPS

Thanks, classic postage stamp size picture.  I'm pretty paranoid about privacy, some people here want to kill me.  I'm really working hard at getting lean for the first time.  I have some muscle, but would be really cool if I could show it off for once.  ;D

Marine

why are epople listening to a fagggot who barely deadlifts 315 in competition

serisouly?

this phaggot i like everywhere

and behaves like arrogant fagggot which he is

what does he know/

if he knows so muhc why he is such a homo