Author Topic: Great Watch on the Orgins of Racism  (Read 8365 times)

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
Re: Great Watch on the Orgins of Racism
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2013, 08:41:24 PM »
Race huh?

Besides the American Civil War..where did race come into slavery?

I'm asking. Hope you can answer. Maybe the video will help you out?

???
No the video will help YOU out... thats why the title of the thread was "Great watch on the Origins of RACISM".. your dumb ass watched 20 seconds and declared it was about slavery..

god damn idiot.

daddy8ball

• Getbig III
  • Violence is not the answer. It is the question.
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2013, 08:44:22 PM »
lol....

I ask again: Besides the American Civil War..when did race become a factor in slavery?

The answer is "yes".

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2013, 08:48:53 PM »
lol....

I ask again: Besides the American Civil War..when did race become a factor in slavery?

Ohhhh so now youre asking...before you were declaring a bunch of shit and talking out of your ass...
Watch the god damn documentary. Im not going to sit here and type this shit out when i put a god damn documentary up with the view point...

daddy8ball

• Getbig III
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2013, 08:49:55 PM »
A simple answer would do. Take you 2 sec. to type.
The answer is "yes".

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2013, 12:46:02 AM »
A simple answer would do. Take you 2 sec. to type.

Na...fuck that noise (P.I.P.) ..what happened to all the retarded shit you were talking earlier... so dip shit. watch the god damn video.

daddy8ball

• Getbig III
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2013, 03:20:57 AM »
Na...fuck that noise (P.I.P.) ..what happened to all the retarded shit you were talking earlier... so dip shit. watch the god damn video.

Any song and dance but a clear answer. Gotcha.  ;)
The answer is "yes".

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2013, 03:27:03 AM »
Any song and dance but a clear answer. Gotcha.  ;)

Watch the videos. All your questions and more will be answered.

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2013, 06:00:07 PM »

Which is the reason i posted them in the first place.. but this dip shit read it wrong and started to fly off the handle. And when he is corrected... instead of saying "oh my bad" like an adult.. he doubles down on the stupidness and trys to act like im missing something. Just because you fucked up dosent mean im uninformed...i posted the video remember.. so just admit you fucked up and watch the video if you have any questions... dont try to put it on me because you fucked up...

and you better watch youself before you try to post with me. Youll make a fool of yourself if you dont come correct, chump.

daddy8ball

• Getbig III
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2013, 06:07:34 PM »
Which is the reason i posted them in the first place.. but this dip shit read it wrong and started to fly off the handle. And when he is corrected... instead of saying "oh my bad" like an adult.. he doubles down on the stupidness and trys to act like im missing something. Just because you fucked up dosent mean im uninformed...i posted the video remember.. so just admit you fucked up and watch the video if you have any questions... dont try to put it on me because you fucked up...

and you better watch youself before you try to post with me. Youll make a fool of yourself if you dont come correct, chump.

You answered zero questions with regards to the history of warfare and slavery.  Your chronic admonishments to "watch the video" doesn't absolve you of your inability to answer simple questions. If your methods of debating calling people chump and telling them to "come correct" then I'm not going to debate with you. Pat yourself on the back, wink at yourself in the mirror, strike a pose and smile!
The answer is "yes".

NotSure

• Getbig III
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2013, 06:29:56 PM »
Admiral Adama was never for the mixing of Cylon and Humans. Cylons should be on their own ship and Humans on their own.

daddy8ball

• Getbig III
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2013, 06:34:41 PM »
Watched the video.

I stand by my orginal posts. The video claims a "history" of racism, but its' scope reaches back to about the 1400's.

Racism, has ALWAYS existed. It's not something that magically sprang into being the first time a white man saw a black man.

If the white man (or any other race) could not easily subdue, capture, and enslave blacks (or any other race) -- via means of superior warfare methods -- then blacks never would have become slaves. (Why didn't we have British slaves in the 1860 south?)

However, once blacks DID become slaves, racism is the means by which the slavery and degradation is justified. ("They're not human", they tell themselves.)

Racism is not the CAUSE of the slavery, but rather the effect, the guilty byproduct and justification of the vile institution which is slavery.
The answer is "yes".

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2013, 06:53:11 PM »
You answered zero questions with regards to the history of warfare and slavery.  Your chronic admonishments to "watch the video" doesn't absolve you of your inability to answer simple questions. If your methods of debating calling people chump and telling them to "come correct" then I'm not going to debate with you. Pat yourself on the back, wink at yourself in the mirror, strike a pose and smile!

Again with the false narratives

I never disputed warfare and slavery....where are you getting this?

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2013, 06:55:26 PM »
Watched the video.

I stand by my orginal posts. The video claims a "history" of racism, but its' scope reaches back to about the 1400's.

Racism, has ALWAYS existed. It's not something that magically sprang into being the first time a white man saw a black man.

If the white man (or any other race) could not easily subdue, capture, and enslave blacks (or any other race) -- via means of superior warfare methods -- then blacks never would have become slaves. (Why didn't we have British slaves in the 1860 south?)

However, once blacks DID become slaves, racism is the means by which the slavery and degradation is justified. ("They're not human", they tell themselves.)

Racism is not the CAUSE of the slavery, but rather the effect, the guilty byproduct and justification of the vile institution which is slavery.

and that is exactly the statements of the video. Slavery was money.. which is why the first video is called "the color of money"

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2013, 06:56:29 PM »
the video is fucking shit.

made by and for racists.

really...why

daddy8ball

• Getbig III
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2013, 06:58:58 PM »
and that is exactly the statements of the video. Slavery was money.. which is why the first video is called "the color of money"

And I agree with that. What I'm arguing here is that the "origins" -- and even the history -- of racism did not begin in the 1400's. If the video wants to talk about the history of racism, then they should have started with Cro-Magnon vs. Neanderthal. But they start circa 1400.

And they take the tone, (I'm not saying they say it outright) ..the tone...that slavery was based on racism. It wasn't.
The answer is "yes".

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2013, 07:58:45 PM »
And I agree with that. What I'm arguing here is that the "origins" -- and even the history -- of racism did not begin in the 1400's. If the video wants to talk about the history of racism, then they should have started with Cro-Magnon vs. Neanderthal. But they start circa 1400.

And they take the tone, (I'm not saying they say it outright) ..the tone...that slavery was based on racism. It wasn't.

No... i know slavery wasnt based on racism... Slavery happened and was bad and then the Slavers said "damn we need a reason to justify this slavery...lets say they the blacks arrent really fill people" but its always been money based and then race justified....

Now i am curious about the Hebrew slaves in Egypt during the time of Moses and Ramses. Was that regional based, religion based or skin color based. But not sure if the skin color was very different between The Israelites and the Egyptions

daddy8ball

• Getbig III
« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2013, 08:03:25 PM »
So, we really don't disagree on anything.

I take the blame for the dust up earlier. I wasn't clear on my points and didn't watch the video. It's on me.
The answer is "yes".

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2013, 08:04:03 PM »

I take the blame for the dust up earlier. I wasn't clear on my points and didn't watch the video. It's on me.

All good... yes we agree on the entire thing

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2013, 07:48:38 AM »

They could even go further back then that with Australopithecus.

Skeeter

« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2013, 08:44:24 AM »

Gayer than admitting you were wrong.  ;D

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #45 on: February 01, 2013, 08:48:43 AM »
A fight in a thread about racism. Who saw that coming?

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #46 on: February 01, 2013, 08:55:39 AM »
They could even go further back then that with Australopithecus.

Any recommended reading?

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #47 on: February 01, 2013, 08:57:54 AM »
A fight in a thread about racism. Who saw that coming?

Yes..but an unexpected fight where two super tough guys argued but totally agreed on everything....also i would like to point.. it was not the typical argument on race in here. It would usually be Racisim while arguing about Racisim

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: February 01, 2013, 09:03:57 AM »
Any recommended reading?
The Blank Slate: The Modern Denial of Human Nature by Steven Pinker

The Bell Curve by Richard Herrnstein

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: February 01, 2013, 09:07:35 AM »
Here is a recent article from Scientific American.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=evolution-of-prejudice

The Evolution of Prejudice

Scientists see the beginnings of racism in monkeys

By Daisy Grewal

Mistrust of outsiders starts early Image: Eric Isselee/iStock

Psychologists have long known that many people are prejudiced towards others based on group affiliations, be they racial, ethnic, religious, or even political. However, we know far less about why people are prone to prejudice in the first place. New research, using monkeys, suggests that the roots lie deep in our evolutionary past.

Yale graduate student Neha Mahajan, along with a team of psychologists, traveled to Cayo Santiago, an uninhabited island southeast of Puerto Rico also known as “Monkey Island,” in order to study the behavior of rhesus monkeys. Like humans, rhesus monkeys live in groups and form strong social bonds. The monkeys also tend to be wary of those they perceive as potentially threatening.

To figure out whether monkeys distinguish between insiders (i.e. those who belong to their group) and outsiders (i.e. those who don’t belong), the researchers measured the amount of time the monkeys stared at the photographed face of an insider versus outsider monkey. Across several experiments, they found that the monkeys stared longer at the faces of outsiders. This would suggest that monkeys were more wary of outsider faces.

However, it is also possible that outsiders simply evoke more curiosity. To rule this out, the researchers took advantage of the fact that male rhesus monkeys leave their childhood groups once they reach reproductive age. This allowed the researchers to pair familiar outsider faces (monkeys that had recently left the group) with less familiar insider faces (monkeys that had recently joined the group). When presented with these pairs, the monkeys continued to stare longer at outsider faces, even though they were more familiar with them. The monkeys were clearly making distinctions based on group membership.

Mahajan and her team also devised a method for figuring out whether the monkeys harbor negative feelings towards outsiders. They created a monkey-friendly version of the Implicit Association Test (IAT). For humans, the IAT is a computer-based task that measures unconscious biases by determining how quickly we associate different words (e.g. “good” and “bad”) with specific groups (e.g. faces of either African-Americans or European-Americans). If a person is quicker to associate “bad” with African-American faces compared to European-American faces, this suggests that he or she harbors an implicit bias against African-Americans.

For the rhesus monkeys, the researchers paired the photos of insider andoutsider monkeys with either good things, such as fruits, or bad things, such as spiders. When an insider face was paired with fruit, or an outsider face was paired with a spider, the monkeys quickly lost interest. But when an insider face was paired with a spider, the monkeys looked longer at the photographs. Presumably, the monkeys found it confusing when something good was paired with something bad. This suggests that monkeys not only distinguish between insiders and outsiders, they associate insiders with good things and outsiders with bad things.

Overall, the results support an evolutionary basis for prejudice. Some researchers believe prejudice is unique to humans, since it seems to depend on complex thought processes. For example, past studies have found that people are likely to display prejudice after being reminded of their mortality, or after receiving a blow to their self-esteem. Since only humans are capable of contemplating their deaths or their self-image, these studies reinforce the view that only humans are capable of prejudice. But the behavior of the rhesus monkeys implies that our basic tendency to see the world in terms of “us” and “them” has ancient origins.

Psychologist Catherine Cottrell at the University of Florida and her colleague Steven Neuberg at Arizona State University, argue that human prejudice evolved as a function of group living. Joining together in groups allowed humans to gain access to resources necessary for survival including food, water, and shelter. Groups also offered numerous advantages, such as making it easier to find a mate, care for children, and receive protection from others. However, group living also made us more wary of outsiders who could potentially harm the group by spreading disease, killing or hurting individuals, or stealing precious resources. To protect ourselves, we developed ways of identifying who belongs to our group and who doesn’t. Over time, this process of quickly evaluating others might have become so streamlined that it became unconscious.

Psychologists have long known that many of our prejudices operate automatically, without us even being aware of them. Most people, even those who care deeply about equality, show some level of prejudice towards other groups when tested using the IAT. Despite this overwhelming evidence that our brains are wired for bias, our society continues to think about prejudice as premeditated behavior. Our current laws against discrimination, as well as the majority of diversity training programs, assume that prejudice is overt and intentional. Rarely do we teach people about how automatic prejudices might taint their behavior towards others.

The fact that prejudice often occurs automatically doesn’t mean we can’t find ways of overcoming its negative effects. For example, there is evidence that when people are made aware of their automatic prejudices, they can self-correct. And when we are encouraged to take the perspective of an outsider, it reduces our automatic prejudice towards that person’s group.

Given that most of the difficult conflicts we face in the world today originate from clashes between social groups, it makes sense to devote time to understanding how to reduce our biases. But our evolutionary past suggests that in order to be effective, we may need to adopt a new approach. Often we focus more on political, historical, and cultural factors rather than the underlying patterns of thinking that fuel all conflicts. By taking into account the extent to which prejudice is deeply rooted in our brains, we have a better chance of coming up with long-term solutions that work with, rather than against, our natural tendencies.

Are you a scientist? And have you recently read a peer-reviewed paper that you would like to write about? Please send suggestions to Mind Matters editor Gareth Cook, a Pulitzer prize-winning journalist at the Boston Globe. He can be reached at garethideas AT gmail.com or Twitter @garethideas.

ABOUT THE AUTHOR(S)

Daisy Grewal received her PhD in social psychology from Yale University. She is a researcher at the Stanford School of Medicine, where she investigates how stereotypes and prejudice affect the careers of women and minority scientists.