Author Topic: mr olympia  (Read 12508 times)

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
mr olympia
« on: January 31, 2013, 07:51:39 AM »
this contest was alledgedly conceived by larry scott and joe weider while they were mulling over what to do about the high drop out rate when a bodybuilder won the top amateur contests. according to the story they were drinking olympia beer at the time. it's one of the few mister contests left in existance.1965 was the year of the first one. larry scott got a crown but no prize money, contest didn't generate enough interest to justify the 1000 dollar offered prize. i guess this was in the fine print.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: mr olympia
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 01:23:13 PM »
the first year there was three contestants, poole and scott actually tied , i heard that weider said give it to the white guy. who knows???? earl maynard of wrestling fame came in third.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 01:25:03 PM »
1966 larry scott won over a field of four himself included. he promptly retired.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 02:02:32 PM »
1966 larry scott won over a field of four himself included. he promptly retired.
sipes,poole sergio oliva and larry scott. with scott getting a silver platter and 1000 dollars this time.
F

etorre

• Getbig II
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 08:03:53 AM »
tremendous photo of scott, I saw him a week after the Olympia, he came to Glasgow, Scotland, to guest pose at a contest organised by bob Sweeney. He was in fantastic condition, ripped and huge,in photos scott always looks smooth, not when I saw him. He also had charisma and great stage presence.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2013, 09:00:41 AM »
tremendous photo of scott, I saw him a week after the Olympia, he came to Glasgow, Scotland, to guest pose at a contest organised by bob Sweeney. He was in fantastic condition, ripped and huge,in photos scott always looks smooth, not when I saw him. He also had charisma and great stage presence.
F

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2013, 02:29:14 PM »
this contest was alledgedly conceived by larry scott and joe weider while they were mulling over what to do about the high drop out rate when a bodybuilder won the top amateur contests. according to the story they were drinking olympia beer at the time. it's one of the few mister contests left in existance.1965 was the year of the first one. larry scott got a crown but no prize money, contest didn't generate enough interest to justify the 1000 dollar offered prize. i guess this was in the fine print.

It sounds like Larry made most of his "prize" money from the appearances and press that followed. Even into the late-80's, Scott had columns and ads in Weider publications pimping his Biophase line. It's still bullshit that he didn't get the advertised purse money, though.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2013, 10:51:43 AM »

It sounds like Larry made most of his "prize" money from the appearances and press that followed. Even into the late-80's, Scott had columns and ads in Weider publications pimping his Biophase line. It's still bullshit that he didn't get the advertised purse money, though.
i wonder what weider paid him when he was the boy, remember how he screwed draper over for years, having dave write for the mags , appear in all the ads and actually work in the warehouse all the while paying him the princely sum of 200 dollars a week. draper eventually sued weider but just as he was on the verge of getting a settlement for probably millions he settled for 17k just to get the matter over with. weider treated arnold much better.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2013, 11:12:56 AM »
i wonder what weider paid him when he was the boy, remember how he screwed draper over for years, having dave write for the mags , appear in all the ads and actually work in the warehouse all the while paying him the princely sum of 200 dollars a week. draper eventually sued weider but just as he was on the verge of getting a settlement for probably millions he settled for 17k just to get the matter over with. weider treated arnold much better.
weider was noted for his lawsuits mostly against dan lurie, he actually helped arnold, lou ferrigno , sergio and himself sue lurie. lurie gave ferrigno his first publicity for that he got sued.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2013, 11:14:55 AM »
weider was noted for his lawsuits mostly against dan lurie, he actually helped arnold, lou ferrigno , sergio and himself sue lurie. lurie gave ferrigno his first publicity for that he got sued.
F

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2013, 11:31:33 AM »

I never knew that!
On what legal grounds was Joe pounding Lurie?

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2013, 11:46:20 AM »

I never knew that!
On what legal grounds was Joe pounding Lurie?
ferrigno and sergio for unauthorized ads, arnold i forget what will have to check lurie's book. lurie and weider were business partners and best friends at one time  it was something to do with their partnership.  abe goldberg was one of the few guys to best weider he co-owned a gym in ny and ripped weider off but weider couldn't prove it. sergio actually confronted lurie at a contest over his ad.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2013, 11:48:19 AM »
ferrigno and sergio for unauthorized ads, arnold i forget what will have to check lurie's book. lurie and weider were business partners and best friends at one time  it was something to do with their partnership.  abe goldberg was one of the few guys to best weider he co-owned a gym in ny and ripped weider off but weider couldn't prove it. sergio actually confronted lurie at a contest over his ad.
F

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2013, 12:04:43 PM »

Wow.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2013, 12:25:07 PM »
 :-[
F

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2013, 12:43:41 PM »
Funky you amaze me...your an outstanding MOD. Great info and pictures, itīs true to say i learn every time i look in the History section.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2013, 02:39:12 PM »
Funky you amaze me...your an outstanding MOD. Great info and pictures, itīs true to say i learn every time i look in the History section.
donny if that thing about draper interests you go on youtube.com click on dave draper true hollywood stories and you can hear draper talk about the weider thing and other stuff.
F

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2013, 03:10:04 PM »
Thanks Funky

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2013, 01:36:30 PM »
1967-68-69 were all won by cuban national weightlifter sergio oliva, the first year he beat harold poole, chuck sipes and dave draper making his only olympia appearance.the next year he was unopposed the third year he beat a young arnold s.
F

AVBG

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2013, 02:36:01 PM »
Awesome thread.. The twisting back shot of Scott was  :o

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2013, 08:46:26 AM »
 :)
F

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2013, 10:02:08 AM »
Awesome thread.. The twisting back shot of Scott was  :o
i agree... Funky puts his heart and soul into Educating us.... :)

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2013, 01:12:19 PM »
 :)
F

kimo

• Getbig III
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2013, 01:45:17 PM »
great pictures