Author Topic: Color photos from 1900.  (Read 5362 times)

mass243

• Getbig V
  • On right side of the history!
Re: Color photos from 1900.
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2013, 06:18:09 AM »
Their dresses are so beautiful. 

Yes, I thought that too.

But acquired by sweat and tears of workers, hence their sad faith  :(

booty

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2013, 06:26:14 AM »
Yes, I thought that too.

But acquired by sweat and tears of workers, hence their sad faith  :(

Gorgous girls.  Sad what happened to them. 

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2013, 07:03:34 AM »
So much of this world's history we don't know about.  Look at historical papers.  Almost nothing from the 500's-1400's.  I wish I knew more about what the world was like.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2013, 07:06:57 AM »
lol at Napolean dynamite from the right.

Look at the prices, these things still cost the same price but capitalism makes us pay more and they use inflation as the excuse.  fucking bullshit. Things cost us more so that companies can make 30% more each year in profit.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2013, 07:11:32 AM »
Anyone that complains that they "work hard" today needs to shut the fuck up.  These lazy military fags today that fight wars from computers need to SHUT THE FUCK UP.

When Obama was telling people that they didn't build America was 100% right.  These fuckers below built this country.  Not today's lazy fucks.

epic_alien

« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2013, 09:44:56 AM »
most people dont know that before 1940 os people did not smile in pictures, and there is a reason for that. people have lost their way, and become fools

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2013, 09:49:41 AM »
most people dont know that before 1940 os people did not smile in pictures, and there is a reason for that. people have lost their way, and become fools
No, its because you had to remain completely still or all you would get is a blur.

epic_alien

« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2013, 11:56:23 AM »
No, its because you had to remain completely still or all you would get is a blur.

wrong, but i applaud your efforts

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2013, 12:22:04 PM »
I hope this helps.

http://ohiohistory.wordpress.com/2011/09/22/why-dont-people-smile-in-old-photographs/

Why Don’t People Smile in Old Photographs?
Posted on September 22, 2011 by lwood33

I was recently asked why in photographs taken in 1800s people do not smile. It is sometimes difficult to interpret the motivations of people in the past, but I have a few ideas why we see so many serious faces staring back at us from photographs.
Long Exposure Times for Photographs

Daguerreotype portrait of Emerson Opdycke.

When daguerreotypes were first introduced in France in 1839 the exposure time for larger photographic plates could be up to 15 minutes, sometimes longer. In just a couple of years improvements in camera lenses and the chemicals used to expose the images shortened the exposure times to a minute or less, but to get clear images people had to sit still. Photographers even had head rests that held sitters heads in place when they were having portraits made. Having to sit perfectly still for seconds probably discouraged smiling.

Having Photographs Taken was Rare and Expensive

When photography was introduced in 1839 it required relatively expensive equipment and a degree of training to do. It was largely the realm of professional photographers. Even as photographic technology advanced in the 1850s and 1860s, it was still mostly the domain of professionals. For most people having photographs taken was not a common activity, but a rare luxury. They might only have their pictures taken a few in their lives. People may have believed that serious expressions suited these special occassions. In the late 1800s and early 1900s when cameras become lighter weight, more portable and much easier to use there is growth in the number of amateur photographers. Taking casual snapshots becomes possible and we start to see more smiles.
Poor Dental Care

My last theory is that people, particularly older adults, were not comfortable smiling because they did not have very attractive teeth. In the 1800s good dental care was not widely available. The dental practices like root canals and caps that allow us to keep our teeth today were not done. The cure for a decayed or broken tooth was often simply to pull it. People with missing or chipped teeth might have preferred to take pictures with their mouths closed.

Portrait of older couple by itinerant photographer Albert Ewing.

These are the theories that I have developed after years of viewing old photographs. If you have any other ideas, please feel free to share.

L. Wood, Curator for Visual Resources

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2013, 12:23:52 PM »
Perhaps this will do.

http://www.csmonitor.com/Innovation/Horizons/2011/1118/Louis-Daguerre-Why-people-never-smile-in-old-photographs

Louis Daguerre: Why people never smile in old photographs

Louis Daguerre gets the seat of honor today at Google. The photography pioneer invented a way to create permanent images, as the Google doodle suggests. But why does everyone look so serious?

For today's illustration, Google dressed up its name in period clothes and posed the letters for a family portrait. But the scene feels a tad stodgy. The personified letters seem stiff, maybe even bored. This might not be Google's most action-packed image – remember the Freddie Mercury doodle? – but it is a very appropriate nod to Mr. Daguerre.

Back in Daguerre's day, cameras played a very different role. Draftsmen lugged around a big tool called a "camera obscura," which is Latin for "darkened room." These large wood boxes had a lens on one end to let light through. But unlike modern cameras, which use the light to create permanent photographs, these tools cast the light on to a frosted sheet of glass. This allowed sketchers in the 1820s to draw quick outlines of buildings or landscapes. But once they moved the camera, the projection disappeared.

IN PICTURES: Google Doodles you'll never see

This frustrated Daguerre. There must be a way to create permanent photos, he thought. Others had tried to tackle the problem, including Daguerre's future partner, Nicéphore Niépce.

Mr. Niépce took the world's first known permanent photograph. While the science is miraculous, the image isn't much to look at. This faint "heliograph" captured the light and shadow of a scene outside his window. Because Niépce had only just begun to crack the secrets of photography, this first photo required an eight-hour exposure, long enough that the sunlight reflects off both sides of the buildings.

At this point, photos of humans were out of the question. No person could sit perfectly still for eight hours. But then Daguerre and Niépce teamed up.

They refined the chemistry, shaving down the exposure time to only 15 minutes. Niépce never saw the final product – he died four years into the decade-long project – but Daguerre forged on, introducing the "daguerreotype" in 1839.

"Each daguerreotype is a remarkably detailed, one-of-a-kind photographic image on a highly polished, silver-plated sheet of copper, sensitized with iodine vapors, exposed in a large box camera, developed in mercury fumes, and stabilized (or fixed) with salt water or 'hypo' (sodium thiosulphate)," writes the Metropolitan Museum of Art.

The invention revolutionized landscape photography. Portraits, however, were still a nuisance. Good luck getting kids to sit still for family photos, let alone convincing adults to stare motionlessly for 15 minutes. So, photographers set up some simple rules: No talking. No adjusting. No sneezing. And, just to be safe, no smiling.

Grinning exercises far too many muscles. People would tire out, change their expression, and ruin the daguerreotype. No wonder people in old photos look so serious. They needed to gaze blankly in order for the image to work.

By the 1840s, exposure times bobbed around 10 to 60 seconds, making personal photos much more feasible. Yet even then, heads sagged, backs slouched, and fingers fidgeted. Some professionals developed hidden neck braces that would lock the subject's body into place.

It took decades for photography to become near instantaneous, and for "say cheese" to become part of popular culture.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2013, 12:26:58 PM »
TA: again correct.

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • I ate an entire box of popsicles the day prior
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2013, 12:27:54 PM »
Yes TA rarely makes mistakes.

sync pulse

• Getbig V
  • Only be sure always to call it please, 'research'
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2013, 09:06:26 AM »

I am afraid he is correct…the early color processes and early Kodachrome films were quite “slow” requiring slow shutter speeds.  Those marks indicate the photographer was using a 4x5 “press “ camera with probably a 4.5 F stop lens…probably used a flash bulb to fill in the shadows some.

The other photos that were taken with a 35mm camera that had a “faster lens” so he could use a shutters speed somewhat faster and the poses aren’t so frigid.

Papper

• Getbig V
  • Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do.
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2013, 09:13:13 AM »

Bunch of permabulking slack jawed fags today with way to much access to calories. This respectable man has epic leans in the face, and I commend him for it.