Author Topic: GW - Professional Athlete  (Read 10291 times)

knny187

• Getbig V
GW - Professional Athlete
« on: December 09, 2005, 01:07:55 PM »
Pictured here with Steve Reeves

He was not a bodybuilder, but a very big guy.

619Rules

Re: GW - Professional Athlete
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2005, 01:30:01 PM »
Looks like Sean Connery in the face and hair....but he is way to big for Sean.....

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2005, 02:28:40 PM »
This guy is 6' 7" & weighed around 270 lbs

ronrico

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2005, 05:10:08 PM »
Primo Carnera

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2005, 05:18:43 PM »
Primo Carnera

Thats him.

Actually, back in his day he had a pretty good physique.

Pat Rocco

• Getbig I
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2005, 06:13:28 AM »
Primo was in a few movies . Mighty Joe Young he played what else a strongman.They also made a movie on his life "The Harder They Fall " was the name of it .

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2005, 08:55:24 AM »
Primo was in a few movies . Mighty Joe Young he played what else a strongman.They also made a movie on his life "The Harder They Fall " was the name of it .

Well, he was in a few Hercules movies with Steve Reeves

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2005, 09:10:30 AM »
my history teacher in school lent me abook on him. was a great read, not many have heard of him. was full of cool wee 'onlymeesque' stories in the book

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2005, 09:53:58 AM »
He had a cloudy career because most felt he fought mob influenced fights

Pat Rocco

• Getbig I
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2005, 10:26:21 AM »
He had a cloudy career because most felt he fought mob influenced fights

I read that most of fights were fixed without him knowing it .Although his Title Fight with Max Bear wasn;t .Bear would lay down .Bear almost killed him beat him very badly .Broke his jaw etc....To his credit Primo fought hard and got of the floor many times .......he never gave up tilll the end .

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2005, 10:31:44 AM »
I read that most of fights were fixed without him knowing it .Although his Title Fight with Max Bear wasn;t .Bear would lay down .Bear almost killed him beat him very badly .Broke his jaw etc....To his credit Primo fought hard and got of the floor many times .......he never gave up tilll the end .

I think he was knocked down 11 or 12 times

Dan-O

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2005, 10:24:34 AM »
Primo was called "The Ambling Alp" years before Schwarzenegger got the nickname "The Austrian Alp."

That's all I know about the guy so thought I'd contribute that :)

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2005, 11:35:18 AM »

true particularly the early fights then he found out and wasnt happy....kinda like rocky in rocky III at the start lol.

in the book it also published the smallest body measurements he possessed throughout his career, was very interesting

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2005, 11:35:33 AM »
Thanks Dan-O

Actually, I have always found interesting that Boxing was such a big sport back in the early 1900's.

Over the years I think the popularity has come down possibly due to corruption of promoters & etc.....

But back then.....Boxers were larger than life & considered celebrity's.

619Rules

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2005, 12:04:09 PM »
Primo was called "The Ambling Alp" years before Schwarzenegger got the nickname "The Austrian Alp."

never heard the "Austrian Alp" before..."Austrian Oak", yes,.........

Actually, I have always found interesting that Boxing was such a big sport back in the early 1900's.

Over the years I think the popularity has come down possibly due to corruption of promoters & etc.....

But back then.....Boxers were larger than life & considered celebrity's.

Back in the 1900's throgh say the 50'sall you ad for entertainment was boxing. Football and baseball were outdoor sports-

Football was not big back then and only a daytime sport, basketball was nothing, baseball was huge-bigger then than today- but again you played mainly during the day during the nice weather.

Boxing could be held anytime of the year b/c it was indoors........you had radio as the main medium back then and boxing goes good with radio.......

Shit-back as recently as when I was in high school in the late 70's you only had 3 TV stations and they all went off the air between midnight and 2 AM.......no TV at all from 2-6 AM, and that was not that long ago.......

Boxing is still shady today. I can think specifically of a Don King match, where he had named a  women judge in this big championship fight-can't recall who it was-and she voted for the guy that got his ass kicked all over the ring-obviously a fix.

If anyone remembers that fight post it....it was like the last 5-8 years...
Boxing

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2005, 12:56:45 PM »

Back in the 1900's throgh say the 50'sall you ad for entertainment was boxing. Football and baseball were outdoor sports-

Football was not big back then and only a daytime sport, basketball was nothing, baseball was huge-bigger then than today- but again you played mainly during the day during the nice weather.

Boxing could be held anytime of the year b/c it was indoors........you had radio as the main medium back then and boxing goes good with radio.......

Shit-back as recently as when I was in high school in the late 70's you only had 3 TV stations and they all went off the air between midnight and 2 AM.......no TV at all from 2-6 AM, and that was not that long ago.......

Boxing is still shady today. I can think specifically of a Don King match, where he had named a  women judge in this big championship fight-can't recall who it was-and she voted for the guy that got his ass kicked all over the ring-obviously a fix.

Boxing

Listening to a bout on the radio can be just as exciting as watching it on tv

Flex 215

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2005, 10:21:34 PM »

Boxing

I know there was a female judge in the Holyfield/Lewis fight that ended in a draw, the first one. I hate Lennox Lewis and loved Holyfield, but even I admit, Lewis won that fight.  He fought a smart but boring fight, as he would stick and move, using his large reach advantage. He never threatened to hurt or knockout Holyfield, who almost knocked out Lewis in the third, but Lennox fought an effective fight. The female judge said she was always told to give any close rounds to the champion, who was Holyfield, and that's what she did.
            At the turn of the century, and until the sixties, baseball was indeed the king of sports, but boxing and college football were big too. In the 20's, Babe Ruth and Jack Dempsey achieved superstar status ,as much as or more so , than any movie or radio star.

Dan-O

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2005, 10:37:24 PM »

D'oh!!!  :o

You got me dead to rights, don't know what I was thinking. :-\