Author Topic: 22 US Military vets commit suicide every day  (Read 4538 times)

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
Re: 22 US Military vets commit suicide every day
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2013, 09:40:03 AM »
Aren't the private armies the legions of the US?
There seems to be a good amount of firepower in private hands though I doubt they are as eloquently brutal as the Legion.

No one reads Soldier of Fortune magazine anymore?

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2013, 09:43:07 AM »
No one reads Soldier of Fortune magazine anymore?

Never read it, only played the games.
Is it authentic or like Flex for military minded people?

Papper

• Getbig V
  • Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do.
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2013, 10:07:17 AM »
maybe the thing about their personality who drove them to sign up and sacrifice themselves for a country is something that makes them feel empty when the tour of duty is over

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2013, 10:08:46 AM »
Never read it, only played the games.
Is it authentic or like Flex for military minded people?

Well, these days I couldn't say... but there used to be some legit ads for people who wanted to become actual mercs... I know of a couple of guys who got gigs from them.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2013, 10:17:07 AM »
Well, these days I couldn't say... but there used to be some legit ads for people who wanted to become actual mercs... I know of a couple of guys who got gigs from them.
i remember a guy in my Regiment knew a pub(Bar)in London where it was the place to go for "jobs" we did go in there and it was ex mil guys but this was about 85/86. you could see it was a meeting place. An ex Military guy knows straight away the look and atmosphere. even the guy behind the bar was an ex Royal Marine and we spoke to him. was very distant till we showed our ID cards.

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2013, 10:20:56 AM »

Nice - will check it out.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2013, 10:23:32 AM »
Nice - will check it out.
i take it your single?

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2013, 10:23:38 AM »
Only psychopaths could witness that much death firshand and not be affected by it.

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2013, 10:31:49 AM »
i take it your single?

Sir yes Sir!  :D

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2013, 10:36:15 AM »
Sir yes Sir!  :D
stand at ease soldier  ;D

syntaxmachine

• Getbig IV
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2013, 10:43:02 AM »
The US needs a Foreign Legion.

For people to fight who don't give a shit what they fighting for.

That's an interesting idea, an analog of which is Max Boot's 2005 proposal that the U.S. set up a "Freedom Legion" that would have recruiting stations worldwide and which would reward U.S. citizenship to those who serve.

Here are some facts which make any such idea unlikely to come to fruition:

(i) If the group were formally associated with the U.S., its exploits would potentially be a PR disaster for the government, especially given the sorts of people such an organization is liable to attract.

(ii) It might be construed as a competitor to the U.S. military establishment since there are a finite number of resources to dedicate to soldiers ("Why not pour the money being spent on those crazy Legionnaires into our own guys' benefits/incentives?" the argument might run). The U.S. military will always win such an argument.

(iii) The U.S. military already is mercenarial (I may have just invented that term) in the sense that it is an AVF that offers unprecedented benefits in exchange for duty. Surely some proportion of our military is in it for citizenship and/or benefits rather than for any sociotropic concern (concern for society at large). The U.S. military is arguably more mercenarial than the French Foreign Legion (FFL) in this sense, given the benefits it provides are significantly higher than the Legion's.

(iv) The U.S. military can already utilize a quasi-mercenary force in the form of private contractors, most of whom poach from the military itself (and since they are U.S. companies with former U.S. military personnel as employees, a modicum of reliability/loyalty is already established).

(v) Finally, the U.S. already has the FFL at its behest. This is because the FFL is under the aegis of the French military, which is under the aegis of NATO, which is (to varying degrees) under the aegis of United States' foreign policy. Future conflicts the U.S. gets embroiled in will -- in all probability -- see the FFL by our side along with the French military and other NATO powers, meaning it is rather superfluous to establish another such force (especially given that the current one is funded by another country, not U.S. taxpayers).

The real solution to the problem at hand is obviously to expand/improve mechanisms for providing mental health treatment(s) to soldiers.

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2013, 10:43:29 AM »
stand at ease soldier  ;D

*brutal ILS*  ;D

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2013, 10:46:41 AM »

arce1988

• Getbig V
  • ARCE USA USMC
« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2013, 02:16:58 PM »
:(

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2013, 02:21:26 PM »
Us vets, will be the next "terrorists". Mark my words. We're dealing with some really evil scumbags.

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2013, 04:44:52 PM »
We can't rule out what these soldiers are being injected with before they go to war. I believe in the first Iraq War in the early 90's, soldiers were injected with dozens of shit they had to sign off on. And from what i've read, some of it was experimental.

CARTEL

• Getbig V
  • Have a good time, all the time.
« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2013, 04:50:41 PM »
You guys act like every soldier sees action. Most are there for support.

22 a day? Since when did this start and is the VA saving money since everybody will be dead in a few years?

MikMaq

« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2013, 04:56:28 PM »
You guys act like every soldier sees action. Most are there for support.

22 a day? Since when did this start and is the VA saving money since everybody will be dead in a few years?
I donno about iraq, but in afghanistan, your just as likely to get your legs blown off running telecom cables as you are in the infantry.

nobody is safe when the country is land minded to death.

I also think anyone with enough logic to figure out how brutal and destructive the war is on a personal level isn't gonna be feeling to normal after words.

Only psychopaths could witness that much death firshand and not be affected by it.
Actually even a pychopaths, can get fucked up by it in some ways their more vulnerable.

CARTEL

• Getbig V
  • Have a good time, all the time.
« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2013, 04:59:04 PM »
I donno about iraq, but in afghanistan, your just as likely to get your legs blown off running telecom cables as you are in the infantry.

nobody is safe when the country is land minded to death.

How many suicides do Afghans have a day? Not counting the Suicide Bombers that target them.

MikMaq

« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2013, 05:06:31 PM »
How many suicides do Afghans have a day? Not counting the Suicide Bombers that target them.
Ah don't get into this shit, there's a long history of refugee's from countries like afghanistan being fucked for generations.

For fuck sakes my cousins are still suffering from the repercussions of their great grandfathers service in the third reich.

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: February 04, 2013, 10:56:00 PM »
i dont know why but one thing is for sure, these guys really risked their life and we treat them like garbage
they died for you bitches.

Jadeveon Clowney

• Getbig V
  • The life is like a case of chocolate bonbon.
« Reply #46 on: February 05, 2013, 08:41:58 PM »
i dont know why but one thing is for sure, these guys really risked their life and we treat them like garbage

a. they're just doing a job.  people try to act like it's a higher calling. whatever.

b. the welfare state is on its way out...

c. if they were smarter, they would have gotten a better job.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #47 on: February 05, 2013, 09:04:11 PM »
I'm not ready to buy into the suicidal vet theory on the evidence presented.  More than 22 non-veterans kill themselves each day, I imagine.  It would be more illuminating to see a comparison of suicides as a percentage of vets vs the general population, as well as suicides by age, and periods time since in service.

syntaxmachine

• Getbig IV
« Reply #48 on: February 05, 2013, 09:34:39 PM »
I'm not ready to buy into the suicidal vet theory on the evidence presented.  More than 22 non-veterans kill themselves each day, I imagine.  It would be more illuminating to see a comparison of suicides as a percentage of vets vs the general population, as well as suicides by age, and periods time since in service.

"The Pentagon says that although the military suicide rate has been rising, it remains below that of the civilian population. It says the civilian suicide rate for males aged 17-60 was 25 per 100,000 in 2010, the latest year for which such statistics are available. That compares with the military's rate in 2012 of 17.5 per 100,000."

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/2012-military-suicides-hit-record-high-349

muscularny

• Getbig IV
  • Training
« Reply #49 on: February 06, 2013, 03:08:11 AM »
a. they're just doing a job.  people try to act like it's a higher calling. whatever.

b. the welfare state is on its way out...

c. if they were smarter, they would have gotten a better job.

a) a firefighter is also just doing his job but it takes a certain kind of human to jump into a fire to save a life, these people who go into combat know full well many have died doing exactly what they are going to do, its not about a higher calling, its about them saying I will risk my life to defend their country.

b) welfare state is on the way out? What country do you live in? Have you seen the statistics lately on how many more people are collecting food stamps, unemployment, medical aid etc vs. say 10 years ago?

c) if you where smarter you wouldn't say something that stupid