Author Topic: 22 US Military vets commit suicide every day  (Read 4528 times)

Teutonic Knight

• Getbig V
Re: 22 US Military vets commit suicide every day
« Reply #50 on: February 06, 2013, 03:21:07 AM »
No one reads Soldier of Fortune magazine anymore?

I do, Kepi Blank is good mag too.

Teutonic Knight

• Getbig V
« Reply #51 on: February 06, 2013, 03:27:49 AM »
That's an interesting idea, an analog of which is Max Boot's 2005 proposal that the U.S. set up a "Freedom Legion" that would have recruiting stations worldwide and which would reward U.S. citizenship to those who serve.

Here are some facts which make any such idea unlikely to come to fruition:

(i) If the group were formally associated with the U.S., its exploits would potentially be a PR disaster for the government, especially given the sorts of people such an organization is liable to attract.

(ii) It might be construed as a competitor to the U.S. military establishment since there are a finite number of resources to dedicate to soldiers ("Why not pour the money being spent on those crazy Legionnaires into our own guys' benefits/incentives?" the argument might run). The U.S. military will always win such an argument.

(iii) The U.S. military already is mercenarial (I may have just invented that term) in the sense that it is an AVF that offers unprecedented benefits in exchange for duty. Surely some proportion of our military is in it for citizenship and/or benefits rather than for any sociotropic concern (concern for society at large). The U.S. military is arguably more mercenarial than the French Foreign Legion (FFL) in this sense, given the benefits it provides are significantly higher than the Legion's.

(iv) The U.S. military can already utilize a quasi-mercenary force in the form of private contractors, most of whom poach from the military itself (and since they are U.S. companies with former U.S. military personnel as employees, a modicum of reliability/loyalty is already established).

(v) Finally, the U.S. already has the FFL at its behest. This is because the FFL is under the aegis of the French military, which is under the aegis of NATO, which is (to varying degrees) under the aegis of United States' foreign policy. Future conflicts the U.S. gets embroiled in will -- in all probability -- see the FFL by our side along with the French military and other NATO powers, meaning it is rather superfluous to establish another such force (especially given that the current one is funded by another country, not U.S. taxpayers).

The real solution to the problem at hand is obviously to expand/improve mechanisms for providing mental health treatment(s) to soldiers.

Actually Americans used foreign "legionaries" in Korea & they were in the U.S. uniforms mostly ex officers from WW2 (Dutch,Germans,Croats, etc.,)

Bix

• Getbig IV
  • The Instigator
« Reply #52 on: February 06, 2013, 04:03:06 AM »
show your source

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #53 on: February 06, 2013, 10:12:27 AM »
show your source

yes i find this hard to believe..a lot of people do not know that Spain had a Foreign legion too at one time

Natural Man

• Getbig V
« Reply #54 on: February 06, 2013, 11:04:32 AM »
a) a firefighter is also just doing his job but it takes a certain kind of human to jump into a fire to save a life,

a firefighter sees no action 99% of the time; when there s action he does nothing like jumping into a fire to save lives. Hope this helps.

mass243

• Getbig V
  • On right side of the history!
« Reply #55 on: February 06, 2013, 11:12:05 AM »
We can't rule out what these soldiers are being injected with before they go to war. I believe in the first Iraq War in the early 90's, soldiers were injected with dozens of shit they had to sign off on. And from what i've read, some of it was experimental.

Yes that has long traditions.
I recall hearing nazis too gave their soldiers drugs to make them more aggressive and commit inhumane brutality  :-\

Another aspect is the 'position' of soldier;
Being a man defending his country against an attack is different from being the one who attacks, aggressor.
Knowing that what you do is plain wrong, acting as attacker, must take its toll on most of us.

Tito24

• Getbig V
  • I'm a large man but.. one with a plan
« Reply #56 on: February 06, 2013, 11:21:13 AM »

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #57 on: February 06, 2013, 11:21:39 AM »
there were "Naps" tablets and other things true but not what you are suggesting. This was to protect against chemical agents.

Tito24

• Getbig V
« Reply #58 on: February 06, 2013, 11:25:16 AM »

meanwhile in america

mass243

• Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: February 06, 2013, 11:29:12 AM »
there were "Naps" tablets and other things true but not what you are suggesting. This was to protect against chemical agents.

I'm talking about sometimes suggested usage of testosterone among nazis.

Tito24

• Getbig V
« Reply #60 on: February 06, 2013, 11:30:34 AM »
probably big macs or hot dogs

mass243

• Getbig V
« Reply #61 on: February 06, 2013, 11:31:44 AM »

Tito on roll tonight  ;D ;D

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #62 on: February 06, 2013, 11:32:07 AM »
yeah or this.... ;D

syntaxmachine

• Getbig IV
« Reply #63 on: February 06, 2013, 12:34:08 PM »
Actually Americans used foreign "legionaries" in Korea & they were in the U.S. uniforms mostly ex officers from WW2 (Dutch,Germans,Croats, etc.,)

That is an interesting fact that I wasn't aware of. However, it isn't contrary to my claim: in a contemporary context, a stable organization that employs mercenary types (ala the FFL, presumably the model for what we are discussing) and which is formally associated with the USG is a net liability for the reasons expressed and is thus unlikely to be formed now or in the near future. That the USG experimented with a simulacrum of this arrangement in decades' past doesn't touch on my point.

In fact, that such experimentation isn't firm evidence that a contemporary legion would be a net benefit to the USG today is derivable from the fact that no such legion exists (if the experiments were firm evidence that a legion would be a net benefit to the USG today, then a legion would exist; a legion doesn't exist; therefore, the experiments aren't firm evidence that a legion would be a net benefit to the USG today).

Teutonic Knight

• Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: February 07, 2013, 02:49:00 AM »
yes i find this hard to believe..a lot of people do not know that Spain had a Foreign legion too at one time

It's up to U to believe or not, talk to Korean war vets & ask them.

They were recruited from "refuges camps" in Northern Italy by Americans & British .
For example, British employed around 200-300 former Muslim soldiers of SS Waffen Skenderbeg (Albanians) & Handzar (Bosnian Croats) divisions  for war in Palestine against Jews.
Skenderbegs,Handzar & veterans of other German Legions until recently use to have annual reunions.
American foreigners also fought pro Communist regimes in Central America.
Thousands of Mussolini's Black Shirts emigrated to Australia,Brazil & Argentina.
Germans & Croats WW2 soldiers we welcome by Huan Peron in Argentina & Franco in Spain.
Another recent example is war in former Yugoslavia, Croatian Foreign Legion (Irish,EnglishJapanese,Germans,etc,.) existed , many of them
were decorated.
French Foreign Legionaries & large contingent of Americans were training Croatian army.
God knows how many white mercenaries were employed by Ian Smith in Rhodesia (Zimbabwe) & P.W.Botha in South Africa.
O, by the way Foreign Legion is also based in French Guiana (not too far from the U.S.),Tahiti & New Caledonia.

Bad Boy Dazza

• Getbig IV
« Reply #65 on: February 07, 2013, 02:53:20 AM »
Apparently all or most of the 22 a day are recently serving vets.  And apparently that's 7 times the equivalent rate that occurred with Vietnam vets.

Griffith

• Getbig V
« Reply #66 on: February 07, 2013, 04:22:54 AM »
It's up to U to believe or not, talk to Korean war vets & ask them.

They were recruited from "refuges camps" in Northern Italy by Americans & British .
For example, British employed around 200-300 former Muslim soldiers of SS Waffen Skenderbeg (Albanians) & Handzar (Bosnian Croats) divisions  for war in Palestine against Jews.
Skenderbegs,Handzar & veterans of other German Legions until recently use to have annual reunions.
American foreigners also fought pro Communist regimes in Central America.
Thousands of Mussolini's Black Shirts emigrated to Australia,Brazil & Argentina.
Germans & Croats WW2 soldiers we welcome by Huan Peron in Argentina & Franco in Spain.
Another recent example is war in former Yugoslavia, Croatian Foreign Legion (Irish,EnglishJapanese,Germans,etc,.) existed , many of them
were decorated.
French Foreign Legionaries & large contingent Americans were training Croatian army.
God knows how many white mercenaries were employed by Ian Smith in Rhodesia (Zimbabwe) & P.W.Bot ha in South Africa.
O, by the way Foreign Legion is also based in French Guiana (not too far from the U.S.),Tahiti & New Caledonia.

I know that in the Bush War in Rhodesia, some American and foreign volunteers did fight in the regular Army.

As far as I know, SA did not use mercenaries but may have accepted foreign volunteers in a similar way in the regular Army.

One of the SADF'S battalions did comprise of mostly defected black Angolan soldiers though who were used in the Border War.

Teutonic Knight

• Getbig V
« Reply #67 on: February 09, 2013, 12:39:13 AM »
I know that in the Bush War in Rhodesia, some American and foreign volunteers did fight in the regular Army.

As far as I know, SA did not use mercenaries but may have accepted foreign volunteers in a similar way in the regular Army.

One of the SADF'S battalions did comprise of mostly defected black Angolan soldiers though who were used in the Border War.

African Savannah + hundreds of dead black Cubans = too many fat Hyenas ( ;D ;D ; ;D ;D)

N.M. will die very soon & new action could start easily  ;) ;)

Teutonic Knight

• Getbig V
« Reply #68 on: February 09, 2013, 12:46:08 AM »
PLEASE RESPECT DEAD U.S. SOLDIERS  :'(