Author Topic: So what's the deal with pork?  (Read 1885 times)

Borracho

• Getbig V
  • Waking up is possible if ur tired of the dream....
So what's the deal with pork?
« on: February 04, 2013, 06:00:09 AM »
Is it bad for you??

Why so many religions against it?

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
Re: So what's the deal with pork?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 06:25:35 AM »
Religious peculiarities aside, pork is a fattier meat, which is a concern for some folks for a variety of reasons. It is a more moist and flavorful meat, for sure - often added to other meats to enhance taste and texture. We often add pork to our venison breakfast sausage.

As for religious beliefs, I can't speak on behalf of faiths that regard cows or pigs sacred. I was raised Roman Catholic, and we were taught to not eat meat on Friday's during Lent. Once all the horseshit with the molestation accusations started, I decided that no man would tell me what I can and cannot eat on a given day. My deal with the church is that I'll give up meat on Friday's when certain priests give up alterboys.

Borracho

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 07:15:33 AM »
Religious peculiarities aside, pork is a fattier meat, which is a concern for some folks for a variety of reasons. It is a more moist and flavorful meat, for sure - often added to other meats to enhance taste and texture. We often add pork to our venison breakfast sausage.

As for religious beliefs, I can't speak on behalf of faiths that regard cows or pigs sacred. I was raised Roman Catholic, and we were taught to not eat meat on Friday's during Lent. Once all the horseshit with the molestation accusations started, I decided that no man would tell me what I can and cannot eat on a given day. My deal with the church is that I'll give up meat on Friday's when certain priests give up alterboys.

LMAO.

Pork tenderloin is very lean and tasty. I've always heard people say pigs are filthy...they eat their own crap...lay in their own filth etc. Wrt the bible and other religions I read back then they were trying to push other meats and that farming conditions were pretty gross. Don't know if there's any truth to that...

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 07:37:16 AM »
LMAO.

Pork tenderloin is very lean and tasty. I've always heard people say pigs are filthy...they eat their own crap...lay in their own filth etc. Wrt the bible and other religions I read back then they were trying to push other meats and that farming conditions were pretty gross. Don't know if there's any truth to that...

I've heard that and other potential explanations. Personally, I think many times it boils down to a "power issue." It's just one more form of control the organization exerts of their followers. People like power. The church is headed by people. My Grandmother believed she would burn in Hell if she didn't attend mass every Sunday, or if she ate a meal less than one hour before Eucharist.

When I was a little kid, we had a very reasonable pastor who didn't adhere to all of the bullshit man-made "regulations" set forth by, especially, the local Diocese. Some of our older parishoners were actually not taking their medication on time because they had to take it with food, and you're not supposed to eat an hour before mass. Our priest essentially told them that their medicine and health is more important (in God's eyes - to make them feel better) than observing such a pointless and silly rule.

He married outside the faith, accepted members from other parishes (which thoroughly pissed off those other pastors), and did things his way. He's the one who lead me to become an independent thinker in terms of religion, a trait that has grown in me and persists even today.

Borracho

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 07:53:46 AM »

I've heard that and other potential explanations. Personally, I think many times it boils down to a "power issue." It's just one more form of control the organization exerts of their followers. People like power. The church is headed by people. My Grandmother believed she would burn in Hell if she didn't attend mass every Sunday, or if she ate a meal less than one hour before Eucharist.

When I was a little kid, we had a very reasonable pastor who didn't adhere to all of the bullshit man-made "regulations" set forth by, especially, the local Diocese. Some of our older parishoners were actually not taking their medication on time because they had to take it with food, and you're not supposed to eat an hour before mass. Our priest essentially told them that their medicine and health is more important (in God's eyes - to make them feel better) than observing such a pointless and silly rule.

He married outside the faith, accepted members from other parishes (which thoroughly pissed off those other pastors), and did things his way. He's the one who lead me to become an independent thinker in terms of religion, a trait that has grown in me and persists even today.

I was raised a roman catholic too mr. perfect...lol. My grandma used to pray the rosary every single night...she told me when she was little that sunday mass was in latin. Can you imagine that?? going to a place and not understand half of what's being said...lol crazy!

We have to learn to think for ourselves. But the reality is that the world is full of sheep who need to be told how to live... that's the truth. It's ok...if religion makes them better people than who cares right?

Anyway...I read something in wikipedia that said jews/christians are not supposed to eat animals with split hoofs...wtf? how do they come up with that?

Borracho

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 09:09:44 AM »
Just when I thought I had found another good source of protein  >:(

Almost 70 Percent Of Pork In Stores Unsafe, Consumer Reports Says

16 comments, 11 called-out
Comment Now
Follow Comments

Ground pork contains more bacteria than whole meat

Beware when you head for the meat market: Consumer Reports yesterday announced that 69 percent of all raw pork samples tested were contaminated with the dangerous bacteria Yersinia enterocolitica. Product testers analyzed 198 samples of whole and ground pork and found them to contain the little-known bacteria, which causes fever and gastrointestinal illness with diarrhea, vomiting, and stomach cramps.

Cases of infection by Yersinia enterocolitica are estimated to top 100,000 a year in the U.S., but experts say that for every case diagnosed, 120 more aren’t reported, attributed to stomach flu or general food poisoning.

Creepiest of all, the study found that many of the bacteria found in the pork were resistant to multiple antibiotics, suggesting that current methods of protecting meat from bacterial contamination are insufficient to deal with evolving mutations.

The January 2013  Consumer Reports article article posited that low dose antibiotics used in pork feed may be “accelerating the growth of drug-resistant `superbugs’ that threaten human health.” The Pork Producers Council immediately challenged the report on the basis of  testing methods and small sample size.

A happy pig courtesy of PETA, which says pigs are rarely treated well.

Interestingly, only 4 percent of the samples tested positive for salmonella, the bacterial contaminant more people are familiar with. Three percent of the meats were contaminated with listeria, a toxin that can cause listeriosis, a serious, even fatal illness I’ve reported on in the past. Enterococcus bacteria were present in 11 percent of samples, with staphylococcus in 7 percent.

According to an analysis in Food Safety News, the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA), the government agency responsible for food safety, responded to the report with this comment:” USDA will remain vigilant against emerging and evolving threats to the safety of America’s supply of meat, poultry and processed egg products, and we will continue to work with the industry to ensure companies are following food safety procedures in addition to looking for new ways to strengthen the protection of public health.”

Currently, the USDA’s baseline studies don’t test for Yersinia. Hopefully that will change in the near future. Pork producers have already faced a major economic blow this fall, as feed prices have skyrocketed as the midwestern drought ruined the corn crop.

Trace Drug in Pork

Consumer Reports also found small amounts of ractopamine, a drug used to boost growth in pigs while leaving meat leaner, in more than one fifth of 240 samples tested. Ractopamine has been controversial for its potential effects on humans and is banned in much of the world, including Europe and China.

What to do: Cook pork thoroughly, using a meat thermometer to check that the interior of the meat reaches 145 degrees for whole pork, and 160 degrees for ground pork. Always lather and scrub your hands thoroughly after touching raw meat. Consumers Report recommends eating pork that’s certified organic or pork sold by Whole Foods. which has to come from producers who don’t use antibiotics or ractopamine.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/melaniehaiken/2012/11/28/almost-70-percent-of-pork-in-stores-unsafe-consumer-reports-says/

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2013, 11:36:47 AM »

pork is delicious

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2013, 11:37:09 AM »

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2013, 03:08:45 PM »
Just when I thought I had found another good source of protein  >:(

Almost 70 Percent Of Pork In Stores Unsafe, Consumer Reports Says

16 comments, 11 called-out
Comment Now
Follow Comments

Ground pork contains more bacteria than whole meat

What to do: Cook pork thoroughly, using a meat thermometer to check that the interior of the meat reaches 145 degrees for whole pork, and 160 degrees for ground pork. Always lather and scrub your hands thoroughly after touching raw meat. Consumers Report recommends eating pork that’s certified organic or pork sold by Whole Foods. which has to come from producers who don’t use antibiotics or ractopamine.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/melaniehaiken/2012/11/28/almost-70-percent-of-pork-in-stores-unsafe-consumer-reports-says/

That goes for any ground meat ::) which is why I avoid all pre-ground meat and grind my own.
:

Borracho

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2013, 03:46:42 PM »

That goes for any ground meat ::) which is why I avoid all pre-ground meat and grind my own.

I noticed that was the caption under the pic in the article...should have removed that but point taken. Still...is there an issue with all that garbage coming from ground beef as well?

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2013, 03:58:28 PM »
I was raised a roman catholic too mr. perfect...lol. My grandma used to pray the rosary every single night...she told me when she was little that sunday mass was in latin. Can you imagine that?? going to a place and not understand half of what's being said...lol crazy!

We have to learn to think for ourselves. But the reality is that the world is full of sheep who need to be told how to live... that's the truth. It's ok...if religion makes them better people than who cares right?

Anyway...I read something in wikipedia that said jews/christians are not supposed to eat animals with split hoofs...wtf? how do they come up with that?

Yeah, and some priests used to deliver mass with their backs to the parishioners. I seem to vaguely remember something about the split-hoof rule. The problem is that PEOPLE brought politics and other undesirable qualities into religion, and THEY'RE the ones who created most of these "rules," which are usually idiotic and pointless.

My diet doesn't make me a better person.
Not stealing from people or screwing somebody's old lady does.

Shame on anyone trying to scare people into not eating bacon!

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2013, 05:08:13 PM »
I noticed that was the caption under the pic in the article...should have removed that but point taken. Still...is there an issue with all that garbage coming from ground beef as well?

absolutely... commercial meat grinders are massive machines that are very hard to clean thoroughly... and meat packing employees are poorly paid...

the shorter the trip from the pen to the table the better and the fewer people who handle the meat the better as well

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2013, 07:22:35 PM »

There are a million times more surface on ground meat vs a solid chunk, so any bacteria will spread RAPIDLY.  You never hear of people getting sick from a rare steak, but you hear about it all the time with hamburger not cooked well.

LMAO.

Jewish people who eat Kosher do not eat pork because the pig is not Kosher - it is not a ruminant and it has  cloven hooves.
:

Borracho

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2013, 11:28:34 PM »

Yeah, and some priests used to deliver mass with their backs to the parishioners. I seem to vaguely remember something about the split-hoof rule. The problem is that PEOPLE brought politics and other undesirable qualities into religion, and THEY'RE the ones who created most of these "rules," which are usually idiotic and pointless.

My diet doesn't make me a better person.
Not stealing from people or screwing somebody's old lady does.

Shame on anyone trying to scare people into not eating bacon!

Yeah but gluttony makes people fat, gross and unhealthy and I don't need religion to tell me that but some people do no?

Woo and Princess L ....I did not know that thanks.

Does anyone how the hell do these people come up with this cloven hoove thing?

Also, I remember my mother telling me the bible says not to eat fish without scales and fins...not that we followed that as we always ate lobster, crab etc.

There has to be something to all this...

EDIT: I found complete list lol http://www.ucg.org/booklet/what-does-bible-teach-about-clean-and-unclean-meats/does-new-testament-abolish-meat-distinc-1/

This thing says forbidden foods are unclean pretty much.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2013, 05:12:17 AM »
Does anyone how the hell do these people come up with this cloven hoove thing?

Jews don't eat pork for the same reason Muslims don't: trichinosis. Only they didn't know it was trichinosis. They thought it was a curse from God. Soliders got sick before battle from eating raw or undercooked pork (pigs and goats being a good food source for traveling armies because they were low maintenance and can/will eat anything). Sick soliders make bad warriors, hence the edict from on high to stop eating pork.

HUMAN STUPIDITY is at the root of all superstitious and religious beliefs...

Borracho

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2013, 09:37:20 AM »
A curse from god..lol